Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

How much risk do I have of spreading bed bugs by my clothes, or by my dogs?

(4 posts)
  1. bedbugssuckbad

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Aug 23 2016 6:01:27
    #

Login to Send PM

If I were to go to a friend's house and take nothing but the clothes I'm wearing with me, how much risk would there be of spreading them? In my case, I did a thorough search of the house with a spray and only found about 10-15 bugs (most of them congregated on the curtains since I don't have a box spring base for them to hide in, so I threw out the curtains, and my holey rubbish mattress to boot since it needed replacing anyway).

So it's definitely not one of those horror story infestations where you can see thousands crawling on the mattress (and hopefully it never will be), but I've only recently discovered them and only gone one round of treatment. That means any eggs unaffected by spraying and that I might have missed with the hoover are still waiting to pop up, and I'm still waiting on bed bug traps to come in the post.

If I give my clothes a thorough inspection before I visit my friend, how much risk is there of me spreading them via sleeping over at a friend's house? Also, how much risk is there of my two dogs spreading them wherever they go? They usually relax until it's time to go for a run, so in theory there's ample opportunity for them to be bitten.

2. Meowgoesthecat

Account suspended

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Aug 23 2016 6:14:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Mm. It may be good isolating decent clothes and changing just before you go out. It'll lower any chances.

If it's a small infestation is unlikely to be where your clothes are.

3. TSPiggy

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Aug 23 2016 7:06:28
    #

Login to Send PM

All our clothes were dried on high in the dryer for 40 minutes and sealed in Ziploc bags per our PCO's instructions. Before I went out I changed into something that was treated and sealed just before leaving and put what I'd been wearing into a bug-proof laundry bag.

As for your dogs, my insanely great PCO said that while bed bugs preferred humans hungry bugs could feed on pets in the absence of a human host. But bed bugs aren't like fleas or ticks; they don't latch on permanently, and house pets move around an awful lot when they're not sleeping. According to my PCO the likelihood of pets transferring bugs is small. That said, you might want to give your dogs a good brushing outside if it brings you peace of mind.

4. BugsUpInFlames

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Aug 23 2016 10:29:37
    #

Login to Send PM

First off, I'm not an expert...but I've been there! Bed bugs tend to not latch onto pets like fur-infesting pests. They will feed and then hide. They also prefer humans to your pets, but will go after your animal if you are not around.

It sounds to me like you're doing a decent job with your clothes...keep them sealed away when not wearing them, and change just before you leave, seal those clothes away to be laundered, and make sure you continue to dry on high heat for at least half an hour. Also, be sure to not sit down or touch anywhere that you think might harbor an infestation, after changing your clothes in preparation to go out.

That is how I finally found proof I had bed bugs, a couple of years ago. One tried to hitchhike on my clothes. I owned a cat at the time so I always used a lint roller on my clothes before I left and caught it. At least it saved me the trouble of trying to capture a specimen otherwise. I'd found little proof before then other than the bites!

I was exposed to a possible infestation a week and a half ago, as well, and took all precautions I could once I got home, as well as warning my sibs about it and what to do. Not only are my dad's genealogy records sealed away before I even let them inside, I changed my clothes immediately and they too were sealed until I could get them washed. (My father died a month ago and...it's a long story.) Those records are sealed in a plastic tote, two contractor bags, ziplock-tied and the ends sealed with tape. Nobody will be allowed at them for two years. My experience two years ago left a lifetime impression on me.

Formerly BeenBuggedMidoriBird

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,330 posts in 50,174 topics over 155 months by 21,930 of 22,427 members. Latest: nomorecreepycrawlies, buggerboo, Ctired14