Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

How many of you have had to throw something away?

(5 posts)
  1. BakedBedBugs

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Apr 11 2008 0:16:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all,
    Pardon me if I do a bit of informal research here.

How many of you have thrown something away due to bed bugs?

What would you value those items at?

Just gathering some anecdotal evidence for prospective customers considering thermal treatment.

thanks!

2. MixedFeelings

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Apr 11 2008 7:42:55
    #

Login to Send PM

We threw many things away, in that first early panic. Knowing what I know now, I would have tried harder to save things before tossing.

We threw away:

- A couch (not new; worth say $200 when tossed)
    - An area rug (not expensive)
    - Many small rugs (inexpensive)
    - Some toys, books (couldn't be worth more than $50)
    - Some clothes (mostly excess, so no real value to us)
    - Comforter and pillows (used, not worth much)
    - A vacuum (quite old, not worth much)

HOWEVER, we had to replace most of these items with new ones, that cost a bit, say ~$350.

We also spent ~$600 on (ineffective) PCO treatments + $250 on a canine inspection.

We've also spent ~$300 on bags, plastic bins, etc.

We just bought a dry steamer for ~$500. Will also buy chemicals + supplies, ~$200.

And $700 on drycleaning (again, something done early in a panic, I wouldn't do it over).

So all told... we're out ~$3200 over the course of 4 months. And we still have bedbugs.

Again, knowing what I know now I might not have made all the same choices.

And although we can "afford" to make these purchases, it's definitely not how I would like to be spending our hard-earned incomes!!

We are now going the self-treatment route as we've completely lost faith in the "professionals" in our area.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

MF

3. parakeets

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Apr 11 2008 13:11:57
    #

Login to Send PM

I threw some things away, some that I was advised to. For example,
    1) my vintage bed's headboard and footboard had a thin mahogany wood veneer over hardwood. I was told that my bedbugs could be living between the veneer and the hardwood and it would be nearly impossible to treat. I could slide a business card in there and I had to agree. I got a metal bed.
    2) I threw the matching nightstand out since it was the same, and next to the bed.
    3) I threw out a couch that was badly infested and financially not worth the risk of treating and keeping, the same with a chair.
    4) I threw out a lot of books. I just didn't know how to treat them and I didn't want to give them away to anyone.
    5) I threw out lots of clothes that maybe I could have washed and donated to a charity, but I was just sick at heart and didn't want anyone getting bedbugs from my things.

4. angie

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Apr 11 2008 15:18:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Hum, let's see...What did we throw away? It might be a smaller list if we tell you what we didn't throw away. 5 beds and the frames, 3 dressers, two nightstand, two desks, one stand that held our t.v. and 50 gal. fish tank, one kids wooden table, one futon couch, one feather pillow and feather bed, one wooden shelf, several toys and bags of expendable clothes, and our sanity went out the window. By the way, this is what we lost. The money value on these belongings is not alot but when you have 4 kids, it gets expensive to replace everything that they lost. I did spend about $50 a week on laundry for 8months so these bugs nearly broke us in all ways possible. Stress on me lead to stress on marriage and frustration towards my kids and like the old saying goes, if mom isn't happy, no one is happy! Hope this helps in your survey. Let me know if there is anything else I can do!

5. lil_bit_obsessed

Posted 11 years ago
    Sat Apr 12 2008 18:07:03
    #

Login to Send PM

hrm... what did i throw away:

- an 800.00 mattress, boxspring, and bedframe
    - a second hand ikea couch that was still in really good shape (worth a few hundred at most)
    - about five garbage bags of clothes that i could just not afford to launder (coin laundry machines in my building), most of it was excess clothing i didn't often wear anymore
    - old athletic gear that could stand to be replaced
    - allllllll pillows in my entire apartment, from the bedroom and living room
    - a rickety old bookstand that was in my bedroom, press board, worth zilch
    - my old bedclothes (which were replaced with new lighter colored bedclothes in the interest of wanting to monitor for bloodspots)

also i lost several hundred dollars worth of clothing, not because i had to throw them out initially, but because they were damaged through repeated cycles through the dryer over several months.

additional expenses beyond loss of property (and not including the pco treatments, which were covered by my landlord) were well over 1500.00. this included cost of a hotel stay during spraying, cost of a canine visit, several hundred dollars worth of laundry and ziploc storage bags (over a few months), cleaning supplies such as murphy's oil soap, double sided carpet tape, and mattress covers. yeesh when i think back, this is kinda depressing actually.

then of course there was the cost of moving, having internet and phone and everything else reconnected at the new place, and all those shenanegans.

can't think of anything else off the top of my head... but i'm sure there was more.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,771 posts in 48,891 topics over 151 months by 21,460 of 21,863 members. Latest: SimpleObserver, get_out, Dannie