How many bugs do I have?

(4 posts)
  1. seca46

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jun 9 2012 10:43:40
    #

Login to Send PM

I am having hard time understanding why we can't get rid of these things and how we could have them after 2 negative k9 checks. We found bugs on a bed frame a few months ago, threw away the frame (carefully and wrapped), and then got a k9 check which found nothing in the house. I had only been bitten twice then, and my son a few times. We got encasements and climbups and saw no more signs. Then got a mysterious bite and saw maybe some stains on casements. Had k9 back for second check and they found nothing again. Thought we were free and clear, but about a week later I woke up covered in obvious bed bug bites, like nothing I'd had before. I have at least 25 bites, in clusters, rows of two and three. I am highly allergic - they are very swollen and itchy, even after two days. I am having a hard time figuring out how we could go from no bugs to enough bugs to bite me that many times in one night. How many bugs would it take? I did find a tiny one in the bathroom - it's the only one I've found since the original problem. It's so small I don't know how the dog could smell something like that anyway. Could the k9 have brought bugs?? How could this happen? Does anyone have a similar experience to share? I really want to understand so I can figure out how to get rid of them for good. Thanks!

2. brooklyn_bites

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jun 11 2012 23:30:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Please post photos of the bugs you have found. You may have something else, you may have shitty dogs checking out your situation, and/or you may have bugs coming in from an adjacent unit.

3. seca46

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jun 13 2012 10:03:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, thanks - we are in a single family home, so there is no other unit to worry about. I think the dogs were not accurate, as you suggest. Talking to some other local pros has kind of confirmed that. I can't post photos of the bugs because I don't have any, but they have been confirmed as bed bugs by the PCO and entomologist. We also originally had fecal smears and castings, but I threw all that stuff out and had no idea at the time that I was throwing away such valuable evidence.

4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jun 13 2012 11:11:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Dog can pick up on even a first instar nymph of 1mm size. Since you are in a home, you might want to suspect a bird or bat bug; possibly the PCO/PMP, entomologist is not familiar with all cimicid species. Were smears and casings definitely identified as from bed bugs? Yes, if the k9 team is not well trained, they many errors can happen.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,305 posts in 50,167 topics over 155 months by 21,928 of 22,425 members. Latest: xterra888, MaryPoppinsYall, nomorecreepycrawlies