Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

How long withnout bites am I in the free and clear?

(5 posts)
  1. nomoreihope

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jun 1 2012 22:11:02
    #

Login to Send PM

The long and short of it is we live in a three bedroom house. I have three kids two in one room. Two kids in the same room were getting bites. It took me about 2 months to figure out what it was. After taking their beds apart and my husband banging the bed frame on the cement, about 4 bed bugs came out. I know K9 dogs and PCO's aren't a sure thing but I called around to several companies and had a good feeling about one. They came out, the K9 alerted to the the room where my kids that were getting bit and where we found them. The inspector was awesome, probably spent 2 hours in our small home inspecting whether the dog alerted or not. He found eggs and babies on my son's bed (we followed him around everywhere). The only other place the dog alerted was a couch in our room off the kitchen. The couch was inspected and one fecal spot was found and no live or dead ( we know there could have been some but we couldn't find any). My husband was planning on throwing about the couch anyway so he did.

The plan was to have the room treated that there were bugs for sure and the baseboards everywhere else (the PCO thought we only needed the room treated but my husband and I were nervous). The guy that came out to treat said since we "over prepped" and made it easy he would just treat everything, furniture and the other beds.

A couple days after the treatment the same kids had bites. Since then which has been 2 weeks (2 1/2 since the treatment), there have been no bites, no new fecal that we can see.

How long after no "evidence" can I be somewhat confident we are in the clear? I am sure there isn't a concrete answer to this but an idea?

2. nomoreihope

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jun 1 2012 22:13:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Also, I wanted to make clear the dog only alerted to those two areas AND the inspector closely inspected every area whether the dog alerted or not before he cleared the room, with us watching his every move.

3. brooklyn_bites

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jun 5 2012 23:13:17
    #

Login to Send PM

From reading the forum, it seems like a popular answer is 60 days.

4. taaronbennett

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jun 6 2012 0:36:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Not to freak you out, but I've heard some horror stories about these creatures...

Worst I've heard is that apparantly some bugs may feed on you then go find a cozy place to sleep in your wall, only to wake up a year later like Voldemort reborn.

I've also heard that all stages of the bugs die within 18 months.

I'm currently testing this theory as most of my possessions have been in backyard storage sheds for about 15 months now.

Usually I hear that if you haven't seen anything after 60 days, you're probobly in the clear, especially given the small infestation.

Good Luck!!!

5. AshamedandScratching

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jun 6 2012 6:22:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Go with the 60 days. Will the place you use send a dog out to clear the place?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,776 posts in 49,800 topics over 154 months by 21,797 of 22,262 members. Latest: Laura07, n4mn3p, ireallydontwantbedbugs