How Long Until Know Have Bed Bugs

(18 posts)
  1. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Jan 2 2017 19:04:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, I might have brought in a bed bug almost 10 weeks ago. How long would it be that I would have no question I have them? I don't think my husband or I react to bites if we have them. I am going crazy with this.

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Jan 3 2017 13:13:52
    #

Login to Send PM

10 weeks, undisturbed with regular feeding, I would notice it fairly easily. If you're constantly cleaning and moving stuff around it might make it harder to find evidence.

3. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Jan 3 2017 13:44:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for your response. Why would constantly cleaning and moving stuff around affect noticing stuff? I haven't done much cleaning or moving around, so what would I notice by now if in fact I have bed bugs?

4. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Jan 3 2017 22:24:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Also, after how long would there be no question there were or were not bed bugs present?

5. CleaningToDeath

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Jan 3 2017 23:40:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Faye, I believe it is because bedbugs like to be undisturbed so they can hide. In essence, say you are hyper vigilant about if you do or if you don't, so you may be sweeping the sofa or chair daily- they will move elsewhere. Example mine were found initially on a dust ruffle in the beginning. The sheets were fine, the dust ruffle wasn't an item I touched to wash every week, so they were undisturbed.

I'm not sure how long it would take to travel ie you have been through 10 weeks, which I agree with Big, that might normally be found by now. In my home, since detecting the source was brought in by a relative in August, and we noticed in mid September. (Definitely no more than 6 weeks- as relative stated in August sometime, so I'll just use Aug 1st as the earliest date possible, but most likely mid to latter August). However, I have no spare guest rooms, all bedrooms are occupied, we are in living room and den areas, single family dwelling, the garage is detached. We are in every room of the house each and every day.

Now if I had a 5000 sq ft home, and only one bedroom occupied, it may have taken longer before they found a host.

6. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Jan 4 2017 0:17:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks. How did you know you had it and how did you get rid of it?

7. CleaningToDeath

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Jan 4 2017 0:33:05
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm a DIY and did a through sweep today, so I can do a final 3rd spray tomorrow with a follow up with Cimexa. We don't count ourselves out of the woods yet do to the time period after obtaining a steamer, the pesticides, decluttering, etc. Knock wood, have been no evidence, new fecal, nymphs, bed bugs for almost one month. Nerve racking some, as with every 2 wk treatment, and this being the last I plan, I'm anxious say come week 3, 4, 5. Will probably get passive monitors after the treatment to see if they will be truly gone.

They were found, as my husband was itching intensely and scratching.. Last winter he had some dermatologist skin problems that a doctor gave him medicine before on his legs. First thought it was returning, except this time was on his arms, and looked different. Husband WAS known (now not), known to have snacks in the bed watching TV. I got aggravated with him griping about itching, and just knew he had brought ants or something in the bedroom, so I was going to wash all bedding, shams, linens, mattress cover (not encasement), dust ruffle, etc. So I pulled back the sheets and such on my side (clear), till I got to his side of the bed, up at the front/side where he sleeps when I grabbed the dust ruffle.

It probably could have been taken care of sooner, had I not freaked at the time and demanded we throw out the box springs and mattress that day, and they spread.

Edit to add, I was not looking for bed bugs at the time ie close inspection when I went to rip off the linens. They were hanging out in full sight.

8. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Jan 4 2017 0:48:03
    #

Login to Send PM

I give you a lot of credit doing it yourself. What did you use to spray? We don't have a dust ruffle on our bed and I got my husband to help me move it once and didn't see anything. Want to do again. I hope you are in the clear. So what are you sleeping on now since you tossed the mattress and box spring?

9. CleaningToDeath

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Jan 4 2017 9:16:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Faye, I had to go room by room in the beginning, I could not tackle this house by myself, and credit only my daughter for helping me. Husband was very passive about it all, down to him thinking bagging clothes just because they were hung over in drawers was enough for him. There is a thread awhile back about the weight falling on one person.

Immediately ordered encasements for her room and climb ups, we hot wash and dried clothing, and bagged them in ziplocs.

As I waited for the insectide, cimexa, sprayer, bellow, etc to come. Until they arrived it was sweeping constantly in crack and crevices and all over.

We (husband and I)had moved to LR since we had no mattress and box spring at the time. I was already there half the time, do to his work schedule, and I get too warm and need a cooling tower even with the AC on, we had a very oppressive summer. Once he came in to sleep on a pallet of sorts, they (bbs) found us real quick, both of us. I had just purchased a new sofa 5 months prior and was in the process of painting the ceilings and new coverage on the walls in LR and Hallway when this came crashing to a halt.

So then I ordered the steamer and actually held off on spraying till the dry vapor steamer came. I steamed each and every room in the house, and trying to save my sofa. It is no easy feat, even if you took the sofa out of the equation. Once that was done, I sprayed Temprid at the baseboards where meets carpeting, and top of baseboards, up the sides of windows, door frames. Even though this product says basic, no skin contact, wash clothing after application, let dry before entering rooms, eye irritant, with everything I used, I bought a tyvek suit, eye goggles and a respirator mask (not a generic mask) when I applied anything. I also used bedlam plus for the tufts and seams, cracks and crevices of any upholstered furniture (dry vapor steamed first), then the tedious cimexa bellow, and paintbrush to any area I could think of (except open areas where it would be disturbed). Not to mention the stress on knees, and upkeep with laundry, and usual sweeping , it is truly a nightmare.

Then going in debt again, purchased a new mattress and boxsprings, bought more encasements, and met them at the door to put them on just inside kitchen before we brought them in bedroom.
    Mind you I also freaked that I wanted all my curtains, comforter, pillows gone and rid them too in the bedroom. So new cost in replacing, I only use white linens, no dust ruffle. pillow protectors.
    Our water bill became double, meeting husband at door, handing him relax clothes, fresh socks, and same for me, especially if I was decluttering a room, to spraying, or applying dust, was always followed by showering, and immediately in the hot wash cycle, and bagging again.

I think with all this, but I did not have all the money up front, if I did I would have went with a PCO, even DIY, I'm well over 1k in buying stuff to treat and replacing stuff that was necessary to replace, mattress, boxsprings. We still bag our clothing, and wish I had stock in ziploc , with bed bugs, I don't think their stock will ever take a tumble.

So... today, after I enjoy some coffee and relax a bit, I will suit up, glove up, etc, make my mixture, spray, strip to shower and launder those clothes to wash any potential chemical contact. Let that dry for today, then start the bellowing of cimexa tomorrow, repeating the laundry again. I will probably spread that over a two day period, as it is tedious and want the dust to settle in a few rooms first, and save myself a few rooms so I can have a place to breathe.

10. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Jan 4 2017 12:23:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Good luck - you're amazing.

11. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Jan 5 2017 9:55:56
    #

Login to Send PM

FayeState - 1 day ago  » 
    Thanks for your response. Why would constantly cleaning and moving stuff around affect noticing stuff? I haven't done much cleaning or moving around, so what would I notice by now if in fact I have bed bugs?

At ten weeks there should be live activity visible on the mattress/box spring with a less than thorough inspection. I would expect to find live bugs at the tag, piping and frame of box and actual bed frame itself as long as the bed is used on a regular basis (meaning you're still sleeping on the bed and not the couch.)

12. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Jan 5 2017 14:50:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks. I inspected my mattress today thoroughly on the top side and the sides, the headboard and some of the box spring (the sides and underneath some of it from the floor) and have found nothing that looked bed bug related. I am hoping my husband will help me remove the mattress and box spring soon so I can look more thoroughly.

13. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Jan 5 2017 14:51:03
    #

Login to Send PM

I have been sleeping in the bed every day. Also, how do I inspect the couch?

14. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Jan 5 2017 14:55:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Couches are a challenge, I would search for videos of inspections.
    I did a steam treatment in an apartment three weeks ago and just came back to retreat today. There were live nymphs and adults as well as fecal easily visible within the first minute of inspecting. The original population had been at least six month's worth, the resident has poor mobility and eyesight. My Polti Cimex Eradicator arrived the other week so I'm now using that for treatments.

15. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Jan 5 2017 15:43:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks. I hope that woman's couch is ok soon.

16. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Jan 5 2017 16:08:22
    #

Login to Send PM

After 10 weeks would an infestation be readily noticeable in a couch like a bed?

17. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Jan 5 2017 16:18:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes

18. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Jan 5 2017 16:30:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks. I really appreciate your help.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,655 posts in 49,519 topics over 153 months by 21,698 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982