Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

How long should PCO be in your house for treatment?

(10 posts)
  1. done in

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Nov 16 2010 20:41:23
    #

Login to Send PM

WhenI first contacted Pest Control Company I was told that the PCO could take up to six hours to treat my 3 bedroom house with basement. The price almost knocked me over, but I thought at least they were thorough. The first time he came he spent 2 hours here, next time even shorter. Treated my house with hot dry steam and diamataceous earth. I would really be interested in knowing other's experience. How long does a good PCO spent at your house while doing the treatment. Still got issues. This point has always bothered me. Think the Company just books as many appointments as possible, and the six hour treatment was a come on.

2. scaredsilly

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Nov 16 2010 23:52:09
    #

Login to Send PM

My PCO was in and out of my 4 bedroom house in 1 hr, which did nothing for me at all. When she came back for the next visit, I made her bring the manager and watched them both treat which took about only 2 hrs. They still didn't do a good job. Since I have had to start self treatment, I notice that it takes me at least an hour for each piece of furniture I steam, and one to two hours to inspect, spray, DE, etc each room on top of that. Six to eight hours sounds good to me, if the person knows what they are doing. You should call them and tell them to honor their time commitment to you and maybe that will help? Also, buy a respirator and stand over them while they work. It drives them crazy, but keeps them honest. My PCO lied so much about what was treated and I had to keep pointing to stuff that was missed.

3. toledo

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Nov 17 2010 8:18:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Steam??!! You got steam?! I only got pesticides. One spray and one powder. Three guys were here for one hour. I was told they were going to remove the baseboards in the two carpetted rooms and so they could treat the edges of the carpet. That didn't happen. They did rifle through all my drawers. I hope that was part of the treatment.

4. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Nov 17 2010 9:33:14
    #

Login to Send PM

http://www.pestweb.com/producttraining/view.cfm?id=52

Watch the whole series on this link. They are PCO training videos and in the end Dr Frishman say 2 techs need about 2 hours to do a good job in a hotel room.

A thorough BB treatment takes lots of time.

Jim

5. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Nov 17 2010 9:56:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Just remember that when you're trying to determine how long, the number is going to depend on the size of the structure being treated (my small one bedroom apartment is going to take less time than a 3 bedroom, two floor single-family home) and what kind of treatment or treatments are being used (Adding steam into the mix, having to get things into wall voids, for example.)

One time treatments like heat and Vikane are a whole other scale.

6. Bug wary

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Nov 17 2010 14:35:59
    #

Login to Send PM

spideyjg

Thank you for the link. It's not such a mystery why bed bugs survive. It's more of a miracle when you manage to eradicate them.

7. bedbugman

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Nov 17 2010 17:45:10
    #

Login to Send PM

I usually take around an hour per room. The time it takes depends on how well prepared it is and how much furniture you have. A small room with just a bed and one piece of furniture is not going to take long at all. I don't use steam or cryonite, just a small 1litre sprayer with a dash of magic liquid

8. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Nov 17 2010 19:52:45
    #

Login to Send PM

The only correct answer is that it takes as long as it takes and as long as is needed to the best that you can given the level of infestation and extent of the problem.

To illustrate both ends of the spectrum. I have spent 10 minutes locating the single bedbug in a room and thus eradicating the infestation without the need for any products other than a zip lock bag to put it in, this is more common than you may think and oddly enough people dont quibble at the price and I often throw in a passive as a bonus. At the other end of the scale I have spent 5 hours in a heavy infestation and on one occassion 3 days in a location knowing that even at the end of that I would need to go back a few more times to deal with it completely.

I would even go as far as to suggest that you always watch the exterminator as they inspect and show you the confirming signs of an infestation before they start treating. If you are not comfortable with their skills and abilities during this phase then you can send them away with an assesment fee and look for a different service provider.

Now hey that one might not be too popular from an industry perspective but the reality is the inspection is your first true indication of how competant they are likley to be unless they have glowing refernces and credentials or come highly recomended by someone you trust.

A true professional is never too rushed to answer sensible questions and will always take the time to educate and explain what they are doing and what they have found.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  9. Killshot

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Nov 18 2010 1:09:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Spideyjg's link hit the nail on the head estimating the time per Hotel Room! About 90% of my Treatments are on Hotel Rooms for BB's. I have worked very hard in developing a Reactive/Proactive detailed and thorough bed bug treatment process, which has been extremly effective. With two of my guys treating a 300 Square foot hotel room (Around Avg. size Rm), it will take on average around 2-2.5 hours. We do two treatments and both take equal amount of time. If you have a 3 bedroom home, condo, apartment, or any type of living facility you are looking at a min. of around 1000 Square feet. If I was to look at an hourly labor estimate for two guys treating a 1000 square foot home, I would estimate 6-7 hours min. to get the job done properly. Now with saying that, these are numbers from my companies treatment process. All companies operate differently, and even more so when it comes to residential. TIP:You can really tell alot about a Company when they give you a time and price for the treatment, and then the time goes down and the price goes up. Another thing is when they make ignorant phrases like a minor infestation!! Are you kidding me, every confirmed bed bug case should be treated and handled the same way a serious infestation is handled. It's almost like saying it's a minor lightening storm, DAMMIT it still lightening take cover!!

I hope the best for you and wish you the best of luck,
    Thanks SEP

10. sickofbugs

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Nov 20 2010 21:30:53
    #

Login to Send PM

For me 1st treatment took 10 min; 2nd treatment 5 min; 3rd, 4th and 5th treatment 5 min. No wonder the bedbugs never were gone. Their inspections both here in new place and old place took all of 2-3 min. Place down the hall after 2 failed treatments, tenant stayed to watch (wore a proper respiratory mask) and treatment still only took 15 min. Next treatment with tenant in residence lasted 1/2 hour (3 months ago) and so far no bites nor bugs.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,369 posts in 50,180 topics over 156 months by 21,932 of 22,430 members. Latest: Beachhouse, bbguy, Ladybug1993