Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Success Stories

How long does it take to know for sure these nasty bugs are gone?

(5 posts)
  1. Newbite1973

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri Jan 19 2018 12:59:51
    #

Login to Send PM

First of all I want to say that this forum has been a lifesaver for me. I have never in my life thought that I would have to deal with these creatures! So, big thanks to everybody who contributes! It was something out of old times, even though I heard about their big time comeback! I would give a lot to find out how those suckers ended up in my house! I live in a single family house, so one of us had to bring it home from God know where... I started getting bit in September- first I did not make a big deal out of it- I was pretty sure it was mosquitoes. We had a long, warm fall, and with the kids going back and forth outside, and also killing some of them filled with blood inside of the house it was nothing to wonder about. Then, October came and I was still getting 1 or 2 bites a night ( it was only me, even though me, my husband and our 4 year old slept in the same bed). Now, I know that they probably were bitten but did not react to it! Sorry for the long story, but I am still trying to establish the time I got it! My older daughter was sleeping in a separate bedroom and I don' t think was bitten. I started to see a few blackish spots on my sheets (fortunately white), washed it, but still did not make a connection😩. It was really bothering me- the bites were super itchy, big and " angry"! Still, no seeing a single insect anywhere, but I was not really looking for damn bedbugs... Then, after a 2 or 3 weeks of not seeing any more mosquitoes in the house I finally realized that something is not adding up! I stripped the bed-found nothing, than turned over the wooden support for the mattress and there it was- 1 bug, apparently recently fed, and I think adult form. I was devastated, went through everything and found a few black fecal stains in 2 places and a few shedding. I went all crazy- I checked everything in the room- again found nothing, but emptied and bagged everything. Checked other slept bedroom- found nothing! I threw every piece of furniture, together with the mattress away! I know it is a little extreme, but we needed to get new ones anyway- the old ones were cheap Ikea ones anyway! Made one mistake though, moved to sleep in our family room for a few nights- it still haunts me that they could follow us there... hopefully they did not! First, I sprayed the whole empty room and daughter bedroom and bed with Bedlam Plus- all the cracks, baseboards etc., then after it dried I applied DE everywhere I could. Got a new bed- just pretty much a metal frame, new mattress, mattress covers for both beds, climb- up traps for both beds, sticky traps for making sure there is nothing out there. Got a steam mop, steamed all the floors upstairs, all the baseboards and empty pieces of furniture in my daughter's room. Then repeated the spraying of Bedlam after 2 weeks. We still live out of waterproof plastic bins and my daughter is not happy about it! It has been 8 weeks since the night that I was last bit and a day when I discovered that single bug underneath my bed. I have read enough to know there is never just one bug, so I know that I probably could have more at that time but maybe they are gone now... I have been checking first every day, than every few days and still found nothing. Is it possible that after 8 weeks of no bites and no signs of bugs they are truly gone? Was it maybe really just one bug, that was just feeding of me and getting ready to reproduce? I know, that I may be fooling myself, but, who knows? I am still checking beds pretty much daily- I guess out of habit, but slowly starting to think that maybe this nightmare is over, and let my daughter have her stuff back in her dressers etc., get new furniture for myself and so on. Would it be smart thing to do, or is it still too early? Out of all the sites and info I was checking to find out how to deal with these shits this forum was the best! So thanks again!

2. rae7755

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Jan 22 2018 0:54:29
    #

Login to Send PM

I personally think getting new stuff is way too early on for just 8 weeks. I think its anywhere from 3 to 6 months to be sure that you've gotten rid of them I dont plan on buying anything new until may, and we just moved. we're sleeping on an air mattress and dont have anything in our new living room. i think the best way to stay safe is keep as much as possible out of your house until you're 100% sure. its important not to jump the gun with these little devils, they could VERY easily get into your new stuff, making it trash once again.

(if u can, i would recommend returning your new stuff for a few more months, and get a PC guy to come check your place, they usually do checks for free.)

3. F. Pazos

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Jan 22 2018 3:36:49
    #

Login to Send PM

We always recommend our customers not to throw anything away... having bed bugs is already bad enough (unless you want to use that as an excuse for a wanted refurbishment)....
    Whenever we have a treated home with a month of no issues, we move the file to the most likely success file, and wait 2 more weeks before moving it to the finalized case file (aka, success), ... short answer, yes, after 8 weeks without sign you can consider yourself safe... I read that you went to stay at your family home, but haven't read about when did you go back to your home, please note that you should start counting from the date that you moved back...

Professional PCO based in Hong Kong specialized in Bed Bugs.
  4. F. Pazos

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Jan 22 2018 3:37:19
    #

Login to Send PM

We always recommend our customers not to throw anything away... having bed bugs is already bad enough (unless you want to use that as an excuse for a wanted refurbishment)....
    Whenever we have a treated home with a month of no issues, we move the file to the most likely success file, and wait 2 more weeks before moving it to the finalized case file (aka, success), ... short answer, yes, after 8 weeks without sign you can consider yourself safe... I read that you went to stay at your family home, but haven't read about when did you go back to your home, please note that you should start counting from the date that you moved back...

5. Newbite1973

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Jan 22 2018 22:06:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks rae7755 and F. Pazos for your opinion. If I got a professional treatment and checkup after, I probably would feel much more confident, unfortunately both of my kids are highly allergic to pretty much everything! So, before hiring someone I wanted to try if with a lot of cleaning, vacuuming, steaming, and minimal use of chemicals there was a way to get rid of them. Since I only saw 1 actual bug and a few skins and no nests, eggs etc. anywhere, I keep on thinking that maybe they have been hiding inside of the mattress somehow. I threw it away the day I discovered them, so maybe... I am so fed up with that- have not eaten or slept for a few days after I found them- was so grossed out!!! No people over, no sleepovers, was even trying to discourage my daughter from going to the movies, visiting friends and so on. I have not bought any new pieces of furniture yet, only metal frame and new mattress, which we encased before using and put legs in bed bugs traps. I was the only one reacting to their bites, really huge, itching for sometimes weeks, so I guess that is why I am so overdoing it. I guess waiting for a few more weeks might be a better idea...even though no sign of them, they are sneaky little creatures after all! I just really want my normal life back, although I will probably stay paranoid about them forever.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

272,341 posts in 44,488 topics over 135 months by 19,506 of 20,185 members. Latest: R1180m, SBbluebed, Panic-in-my-bedroom