Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

How long does it take before their presence is for-sure felt?

(3 posts)
  1. ScaredChicagoRes

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Jan 29 2017 15:21:40
    #

Login to Send PM

We've been wondering if we have bed bugs for many many months now. Namely because we encounter bites on our hands, arms, and back. They are small red dots. They're somewhat frequent but never left in clumps and they never hurt. Not like mosquito bites. Much smaller. We HAVE found blood on the bed a few times. Never in lines or in multiples. Like a little drip here and there. Very mysterious. We haven't found any fecal matter on the sheets or mattress.

My question is: If it were bed bugs, and as I said-it's been 3+ months-, wouldn't they be leaving more evidence by now? For example, biting in larger numbers, and leaving more blood and black stains? Like eventually I'm going to know for-sure they're here, right?

I don't want to contact my landlord unless I have evidence. And minor to moderately frequent bites to a small little blood stain every other fortnight isn't quite compelling enough. Am I wrong to hold off? Is it more likely dust mites or fleas? And if it is dust mites- do I just deal with it? The whole unit was sprayed for booklice 4 months ago. So I do find dead woodlouses on a semi regular basis

Thanks for your feedback

2. mp7ski

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Jan 29 2017 20:25:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Depends, if you're in an apartment building and a neighbor has a big infestation, you may just be getting some stragglers coming over and then retreating back to their harborage. In my experience, blood has always been in a small streak, not a dot. Doesn't mean that they can't be but thats just from my experience.

Holding off could be bad cause you want to catch whatever is going on early, but I wouldn't say you have any difinitive evidence either so it's tough. Wouldn't hurt to at least talk to him and voice your concern. Nothing beats an experienced professional inspection and that's something you and the landlord may want to consider, not just of your unit but any neighboring ones as well. Just a thought, not an expert but just my opinion.

I am not an expert, any advice I give should be considered as amateur advice and not taken as fact. I mean well with all my posts and try to give back. If you plan on using any of my advice, I suggest doing research into said advice to make sure it is in your best interest.
    Study on Thermal Death Points(pages 18-29 of pdf) : http://www.propanecouncil.org/uploadedFiles/Council/Research_and_Development/REP_12221%20Efficacy%20of%20Heat%20on%20Bed%20Bugs.pdf
    Study on Cimexa: http://www.pctonline.com/article/pct0814-silica-gel-research-bed-bugs/
  3. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Jan 29 2017 20:34:42
    #

Login to Send PM

mp7ski - 4 minutes ago  » 
    Depends, if you're in an apartment building and a neighbor has a big infestation, you may just be getting some stragglers coming over and then retreating back to their harborage. In my experience, blood has always been in a small streak, not a dot. Doesn't mean that they can't be but thats just from my experience.
    Holding off could be bad cause you want to catch whatever is going on early, but I wouldn't say you have any difinitive evidence either so it's tough. Wouldn't hurt to at least talk to him and voice your concern. Nothing beats an experienced professional inspection and that's something you and the landlord may want to consider, not just of your unit but any neighboring ones as well. Just a thought, not an expert but just my opinion.

Bugs will not cross the boarder and "retreat" back to the place of origin. There will not be stragglers like you describe ... ever.

That being said ... for the original question - You would have multiple generations of bed bugs in your place at this point and your inspection would be a simple one. If three months has past with the numbers of bites mentioned ... I would forget about bed bugs unless you have no idea how to search for them. If that's the case ... get a professional inspection.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,898 posts in 50,058 topics over 155 months by 21,883 of 22,369 members. Latest: sai, Mary Borges, Pleasebegone2019