Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

How long can they live without breathing?

(17 posts)
  1. BBuster

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri May 26 2017 23:54:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello

Have there been done any tests on choking BB's?

I'm asking these question because the last step in my war is getting them out of my hair.
    And yes it is BB's and not something else.
    The appartement is clear, the car is clear, clothes are clear but I can't get them out of my hair. I tried all from chemicals to petrol to cimexa (yes I put it all in my hair).
    I'm trying now with hairgel and wrapping my hair in magnetron foil to seal my hair from air.
    Last step will be taking a long holiday and shaving of my hair (I'm a women).
    How long can they survive without air?

Thank you

2. Livingagain

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat May 27 2017 0:10:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Doesn't sound like bed bugs. If it were the answer would be easy because soaking in warm soapy water kills them. You would have to do it more than once for the eggs that would hatch.

But it's doubtful that's what it is if they're nesting in your hair. If it's headlice that won't work, you'd need one of those nitty gritty combs, and lots of combing time.

3. BBuster

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat May 27 2017 0:13:52
    #

Login to Send PM

barelyliving - 2 minutes ago  » 
    Doesn't sound like bed bugs. If it were the answer would be easy because soaking in warm soapy water kills them. You would have to do it more than once for the eggs that would hatch.
    But it's doubtful that's what it is if they're nesting in your hair. If it's headlice that won't work, you'd need one of those nitty gritty combs, and lots of combing time.

It's BB and not headlice, I'm not discussing that.
    My question is if there have been any tests on how long BB's can live without air.

Thank you.

4. Livingagain

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat May 27 2017 6:42:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, I told you the answer to that. You would only need to completely soak all your hair in warm, soapy water for a few minutes (IDK, maybe 10). Then you should repeat on the egg hatching cycle (Is that 10 days? Not sure) I would do it two more times on the hatching cycle.

Still unlikely

5. mp7ski

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat May 27 2017 6:53:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Go get professional help please. What you are doing is unhealthy and quite disturbing. I understand the mental tole bed bugs can take on a person but you really need professional help. Have a doctor or some one inspect your hair... Then address your mental issues.

I am not an expert, any advice I give should be considered as amateur advice and not taken as fact. I mean well with all my posts and try to give back. If you plan on using any of my advice, I suggest doing research into said advice to make sure it is in your best interest.
    Study on Thermal Death Points(pages 18-29 of pdf) : http://www.propanecouncil.org/uploadedFiles/Council/Research_and_Development/REP_12221%20Efficacy%20of%20Heat%20on%20Bed%20Bugs.pdf
    Study on Cimexa: http://www.pctonline.com/article/pct0814-silica-gel-research-bed-bugs/
  6. mp7ski

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat May 27 2017 7:05:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Just to answer your question... but you need to realize reliably suffocating bed bugs in one's hair is simply not really feasible. Lou sorkin pointed out that bed bugs don't have the necessary physical tools to hang onto hair, they actual avoid hair when given the option. So if they were in one's hair, chances are they'd be on one's scalp which creating an air tight seal would be near impossible...

http://www.atlanticbedbuginspection.com/does-suffocating-bed-bugs-work/

7. bugged-cdn

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat May 27 2017 17:28:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Bed bugs wouldn't be living in your hair. That's just not the nature of the beast.

8. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat May 27 2017 20:54:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Chocking bed bugs is a slow process as it needs to be done one at a time, in which case its easier to just crush them with your finger.

If you meant how long does it take to suffocate bed bugs humor me and read this:

A few years ago I was asked to test a product, a bag that you seal bed bugs into an a chemical reaction would deplete the oxygen. The theory being that the reaction would run until there was no oxygen left and the bed bugs would die. Well after 7 days in the dag they appeared to be dead but over the next few hours several woke up. Yes, about 30% of the bed bugs appeared to be fully functional zombie bugs.

Therefore, the time it takes to suffocate bed bugs is longer than you can survive without air.

All that being said, I am yet to find anyone who actually has bed bugs in their hair other than in extreme cases and people who are infested and homeless. This is in over 12 years of working exclusively on bed bugs.

I would therefore recommend you do the following:

• Produce a picture of the insect in your hair.
    • Do nothing more than washing your hair in something like head and shoulders leaving the foam in your hair for 3 - 5 minutes.

It is more likely that the sensation of something in the hair is triggered by the presence of insects in general and the feelings and anxieties that some people experience with bed bugs. As these vary from person to person it can be difficult for others to appreciate the impact this can have.

The solution with regards insects comes through education and understanding the issue in more detail and more clearly.

If you are finding that its an issue that have a high impact on you it can help to seek the assistance of an understanding / experienced therapist or even sharing the load with family or friends.

I am sure you can appreciate that for at least some of us this is something we encounter people saying on a regular basis and rarely is it ever connected with bed bugs.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  9. BBuster

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun May 28 2017 2:42:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you, bed-bugscouk for sharing this test.
    I cannot wrap my hair in foil and gel for 7 days

It is bedbugs and confirmed by the zoology department of our university whichI live next to.
    I don't care what you believe or not, I'ts a pitty only one person could actually give me the information I am looking for.

10. frightened

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun May 28 2017 3:06:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi. Perhaps a second opinion would be good. If you take a close up photo of one and then post it in a new thread with the title of ID needed. Good luck

11. bedbugsbugme

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun May 28 2017 9:53:44
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm sorry but how can they be living in your hair? Do you have dreadlocks or a weave? I highly doubt you saw the right person to identify. Please post a picture of this insect. We as "bed bug enthusists" (lol) would like to see proof as we have never heard of bed bugs harbouring in hair (artificial hair such as wigs, weave, extentions or even dreads might be possible) but bed bugs just do not live in hair.

I'm not an expert. Just sharing what I learned from my experience.
  12. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun May 28 2017 22:22:08
    #

Login to Send PM

BBuster - 1 day ago  » 
    Hello
    Have there been done any tests on choking BB's?
    I'm asking these question because the last step in my war is getting them out of my hair.
    And yes it is BB's and not something else.
    The appartement is clear, the car is clear, clothes are clear but I can't get them out of my hair. I tried all from chemicals to petrol to cimexa (yes I put it all in my hair).
    I'm trying now with hairgel and wrapping my hair in magnetron foil to seal my hair from air.
    Last step will be taking a long holiday and shaving of my hair (I'm a women).
    How long can they survive without air?
    Thank you

You really would have to take pictures and post these. What you are describing are not bed bugs or bed bug behavior. Of course, you said that the bed bug specimens were identified by the zoology department in a university near you and those I understand were in your home. If you have any bed bugs crawling on your or your hair, they would still be living in your home and crawling on your person. Bed bugs can crawl on hair and arm hair just like crawling on other surfaces or threads of lightly woven fabric or frayed ends. They do not have specialized tarsi and claws that head or body lice possess so gripping the hair shafts is not possible. I believe there was one article I read where wigs were infested by bed bugs because these were left on furniture in an infested room. These wigs, in turn, were worn on the person's head. Bed bugs weren't attracted to the person and crawled in the hair of the head, but were carried to the person on the wig.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  13. lagayle59

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon May 29 2017 6:32:04
    #

Login to Send PM

May I suggest that you see a dermatologist. Many years ago Ihad a bed bug infestation. I was bitten in my head and would have reactions when I was bitten. Over time, because of the bites I developed folliculitis, which can be hard to treat and cure, but it can be done. I saw a doctor, claiming that the bugs were biting in my head still, who diagnosed me with the condition, prescribed medication, and tho it took some time, I was able to clear it up. The condition did start from bbs, but the bites caused the folliculitis whereby I continually had new sore spots in my head so I thought I still had bbs.

14. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon May 29 2017 6:44:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi BB,

I'll offer an alternative explanation. It's possible that you found a single or even a couple of bed bugs who somehow dropped or got into your hair. But this doesn't mean they are "living in your hair". It just means they accidentally got there for one reason or another. As Lou has said, it is not bed bug behavior to remain/live in your hair.

And if a couple did find themselves there, a simple shampoo should wash them out. No need to treat your hair as you're doing, not only unnecessary but dangerous. So, assuming you did wash your hair, you should rest assured that they are no longer there. What you are feeling right now is most probably something else such as a skin reaction. You might consider seeing a dermatologist who might be able to help in that regard, as well as reassure you through inspection that there are no bed bugs in your hair.

Also, as stated, if you do find another bed bug, post a picture here for confirmation. Two expert opinions can be better than one.

Richard

15. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon May 29 2017 7:31:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi BBuster,

To be clear I don't doubt you may find one occasionally in hair but its far from natural habitat, least of all because mild detergent is such an awesome contact killer than then you wash your head they are dead. Its just not a good survival strategy.

It is more common that people report sensations as if insects are crawling on their scalp and this itself can be a feedback look that is hard to break. This is in part when I specifically said "head and shoulders" because it also acts to moisturize the scalp and stop the likelihood of itch.

If I had to put the odds into perspective for you I am still waiting to see anyone others than a massive super-cell infestation or homeless person having bed bugs living and reproducing in their hair. I am not alone to having people wash their hair to deal with what they feel is bed bugs in their hair.

If you want to have a skype chat about how bed bugs can impact people beyond what their biology allows I will make some time.

David

16. bugged-cdn

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon May 29 2017 17:03:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Hopefully all that Ivermectin you took didn't create mutant bed bugs

17. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon May 29 2017 17:08:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I cant stress this fact enough, Ivermectin is not something to be taken more than once.

David

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,727 posts in 50,022 topics over 155 months by 21,871 of 22,354 members. Latest: mrdinosaur, BedBugNinja, citycpap