how long before you noticed an infestation

(8 posts)
  1. ddp886

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Dec 29 2010 21:03:51
    #

Login to Send PM

hey gang, i have a question. how long before you noticed something is wrong/bb?

2. ddp886

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Dec 29 2010 21:08:43
    #

Login to Send PM

IS??? i ment was

Because im going on two months , one week with no signs and only 4 or 5 bites (i feel they were) within this time span.

3. victimized

new username: help_me

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Dec 29 2010 22:09:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, this is going to be a long story but to help paint a picture of about how long we may have had them I need to describe the course of events since summer, not that I knew at first I had them. That possibility and fear was in the back of my mind as I knew I could possibly have been exposed to them though I remember doing my very first mild reading-up on bed bugs back in summer and quickly turning my sheets back to check my mattress and box spring. Did NOT examine the entire bed thoroughly but saw nothing thus considering my house still clean.
    Back in Sept or Oct I remember noticing some strange marks on the tufting on my sofa and it worried me because I knew it looked like some sort of bug activity but again dismissed it as I knew nothing about bed bugs and as far as I knew, they lived in your bed and my bed was clean anyway. Knew nothing about staining.
    Flash forward to late Oct. Strange pimples on my forehead that bleed if I try to pop them, won't clear up or heal, attributed to going off birth control and having hormonal reactions. Strange welts or pimples on my legs and arms, maybe a month maybe four, not really certain how long as I've always had skin problems and rashes. Often scratched until causing bleeding and continued a cycle of creating cuts and scatching them open by accident thus prolonging healing and creating sccarring. Sorry to be graphic but... Shaving., clogged pores from moisturizing, folliculituis..
    By November it started to cross my mind, my legs have red marks all over them. My sister and her hubby had had such mysterious bites when they first moved into their apartment and she admitted later she had bed bugs, what if I DID catch them? Hoped for the best, assumed normalcy as still having not seen anything out of the ordinary and had checked my mattress a few months earlier. Realized around the week of Nov. 1st or 7th there was a really large welt on my upper thigh. It was so large an sudden that I knew something was going on, just like the bacne and pimples on my chest and forehead that weren't healing, even after a good shower to dry out the skin.
    Studied on Nov. 8th or my test the next day on the, sofa in my favourite spot at the left, for about two hours. Assumed all sorts of various reclining positions, even buried my feet under the quilt at one point. Back against the side. Thurs night that week, when I got home from school and had no other deadlines to make that week I popped in a movie and sat in my seat on the sofa for about 2 hours. Stopped and went upstairs to check on the computer a couple times, on the bed.
    Friday afternoon I get home from work, put music on, spread a new pattern out around the living room, sit on the sofa a couple times to do some book research, etc. Go out to the store to get materials to start the new project. Put my stuff down, go over to my cat who is on my sweatshirt on top of the quilt pile. I notice a small red bug and don't go nuts cause it's just a spider mite, or is it? Was moving very quickly over my finger and upon close inspection noticed it had a translucent head and legs and was larger. Oh shit. Doesn't look like a bed bug but what do the babies look like? Went upstairs to the internet, everything I find that matches the description is a bed bug. Came back to check and recheck the sofa. Threw the blanket away. Lots of strange black stains in many of the tufts. Getting worried and start crying. Come back to inspect more while on the phone with my sister... keep checking, this ones clean, this ones clean, here's some black marks, this one has them too... hope I don't see a bug. Sure enough I find the tuft with a round brown bug at rest in the back of it. I put the phone down and went into hysterics. No one could calm me down and i couldn't stop wailing like a banshee and my family even threatened to take me to the hospital if I couldn't control myself. Sure didn't want that! Someone had to stay home to get this taken care of, plus the hospital could have them!
    In short I do not know exactly how long they were there as I did not actually see anything for the first time until that night. Until that moment I was blissfully ignorant and quite suddenly realizing my life was about to change big time and thought back on everything we've been doing, our living habits, etc. and how bad they were and felt sick. I was on that sofa and then went up into MY BED!!!!! They were probably in my hair and all! The bug was on my sweatshirt for crying out loud. Had I not seen it, I was liable to pick that shirt up, put it on, and go elsewhere without any clue. My cats' sudden scratching in the last two weeks made more sense, as did their recent staring at the walls. Maybe unrelated, I don't know. My guess is that we had them for a month or more. They were just starting to invade our bedroom, I think. Had not seen any until the day before the guy came out to do the "first treatment"when I found them at rest on the inside edge of my pillow case. Both nymphs. Found a few more over the course of a couple weeks on the sofa and that was all. After treatment found first stage nymph on bathroom sink and between first and second stage on Dec. 22nd on my bedroom wall at 4:15 am behind my nightstand but above table level. Many many bites and occasional blood on the bedding.

4. victimized

new username: help_me

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Dec 29 2010 22:29:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Must clarify that they came back on Dec. 7th to do a second "initial treatment" as they totally botched the first one on Nov. 19. Nearly a month passed between realizing we had bed bugs and having to come to terms with this, unearth horrible clutter and amassed stuff, worry about how bad it was, and if we were continually spreading the problem by being in the house with untreated stuff, etc.

A month makes a big difference. We may have had a silent infestation for longer though. At one point I remember finding suspicious black specs inside a fake flower in my back bedroom where I keep my clothing collection and other clothes. No one spent time in there cept the summer before when the mattress and box springs were crammed in there, mattress on the floor, for about a month when the bedroom was being gutted and redone. Talk about risky.

Also, last trip to Atlantic City in Aug. I pulled back the sheets and examined the bed, didn't see anything but again did not do a thorough search. Went to NYC in Sept. Rode the ferry and then subway to Christopher St. and went out to eat. Took my sister's car I believe, either her new one or our car. Had gone for an hour and a half ride in her old car that month to go get her new one. Also rode in her car a few times thereafter into Oct. In Sept. went into her apartment for about 5 mins despite knowing she had bugs and left when there was no light and couldn't see anything. Still. Had been to AC with her and my mother in July I think, too. Picked her up, she rode in the back of their car with a plastic bag for her clothes. Shared the room with her with our luggage in it. Rode home with her. Rode in the back seat of my parents car all semester two nights a week, with my same luggage on the seat beside me that I carry my books in, on my dad's pile of clothing. Kept my book bag on the floor three feet from the sofa. Carted my bag two days a week into the carpeted computer lab with upholstered chairs. Carted it onto the subway and standing room only trolley into West Philly once a week. Other half was spending 8-12 hours a week in the public library and sleeping on the sofa each night in the same clothes. Going out in those clothes into the car. Yeah, our chances for prevention sucked. Bought a large entertainment center from Goodwill back in July and put it in the living room. Bought a box full of antique parasol handles from ebay and they all sat in a dusty pile in the back bedroom for months with the box in there as well.

5. toledo

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Dec 30 2010 10:39:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Our story began in early April, with a trip to Puerto Vallarta. Daughter first mentioned bites about mid June. It took us at least another month before we finally found a bug. I had suspected mites because of her new job at a pet store, but then realized I was wrong. I looked back at recent hotel reviews on http://www.tripadvisor.com, and saw that four reviews mentioned bed bugs since our return from that hotel. The sad part was it took me another month before I could decide on a PCO, as I've never seen such a series of imcompetant people parade through my home.

6. scaredsilly

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Dec 30 2010 12:58:52
    #

Login to Send PM

I am sensitive to the bites, so I knew right away that we caught bb's from a bed and breakfast stay in July. It took 3 weeks before blood stains appeared in sheets/pillows. It took about two months to see the actual feces and cast skins. Sad story is that I inspected the adjoining bedroom to mine early on and did not see anything at all. Occupant of that room moved out and now three months after that room has been vacated, I am just now finding dead bugs in there. Don't know if they died from treatment or starvation. It is sad, but sometimes it takes a long time for evidence to turn up.

7. so unsettling

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Dec 30 2010 15:54:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, "how long" would have to mean how between the time you noticed something, and an event in the past that hindsight suggests might point to the source, the possible introduction of bugs into your home. I honestly don't know how i got them, but the most likely source is a public storage unit from which I removed many items between June and early August. I knew nothing about bugs back in those days, and my storage items were just in boxes, unprotected. They were not infested when I stored them there a couple of years ago, but could have traveled to my storage unit from other units. There is a sizeable BB problem in my town, and I imagine some people might have unknowingly or knowingly placed infested items in this public storage facility.

So if this is how I acquired them, it was at least 2 months after my final move of stored items to my apt., that I began noticing unexplained bites. On the other hand, if this isn't the source, then I have no idea "how long." Some people know exactly how they got them, but many don't.

8. Traumabugged

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Dec 30 2010 18:48:45
    #

Login to Send PM

First time one week after I moved into a cheap apartment (in AR). I have no knowledge of BBs since in China 40 years ago they were radically (almost) eradicated (by application of DDT (which is still in use today). So exactly one week after I moved in, I had a huge rash on my back. A lot of bites were found after I looked into the mirror and at that time I thought they were so mysterious because I had never had such an outbreak ever since I arrived in the US. So I went to the doctor and she suggested it might be bedbugs.

Later I went home and turned the mattress and bedframe, which were provided by the landlord. To my horror there were at least a dozen crawling, and many dead ones on the frame. Got my first cry in years and dumped almost two third of my belongings, then paid for a packtite. As an international student it was especially difficult and I spent like the rest of the three months, which was supposed to be a happy summer vacation, packtiting things that could not be heated in the dried (including my laptop!) and drying everything else using the dried shared by the whole community. Yes, there were only two washing machines and dries for like 40 residents. Well at least the temperature was high enough...

So I moved to a temporary place after I bagged my rest one third of stuff in multi layered contractor bags with only a few clothes to change in ziplocks. Then I started washing, drying and packtiting all the stuff again, every week. It became a routine, or rather a ritual. I would sit on my camping bed got from walmart and stare at the ceiling, listening to the tumbling and buzzing of the washing machine, the dries and the packtite. It was music.

Finally after three months of disinfecting all the items over and over again, I moved into the dormitory of my university. And I have to toss out a lot of extra clothes which were damaged by the repeated heating and my 1 year laptop looked like 10 years old. I'm glad it still worked though.

In short, if it took only seven days for me to find the bbs, it took a year and a half to recover from this disastrous experience. And now I'm getting new mysterious bites again. But thanks to many kind people from this forum and the yahoo group, I am able to go through this whole one year and a half without desperation but with hope. Besides, I have learned a lot because of them. I am truly grateful.
    So I ordered the BB alert active and climbups and when they arrive I guess I will have a better chance of identify my current problem. In other words, this time, it at least will take one and a half year to find out whether it's true.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,277 posts in 49,227 topics over 152 months by 21,578 of 21,999 members. Latest: Cc8656, bb3784738, Buggingout111