Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

How long before signs become impossible to miss?

(10 posts)
  1. keephopealive

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sun Nov 4 2018 13:13:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear all,

In your opinion/experience, for what duration would an infestation have to be present before each of the following events occurred?(this is for an infestation originating from within the dwelling, not a neighboring unit)...

1. Fecal traces/spotting visible on close inspection of the bed frame/mattress or underside of sofa...

2. Bugs of any/all stages visible on close inspection of the above areas...

3. Bugs on the walls/out in the open...

4. Bugs openly playing drinking games as they form a conga line from my home office to the bedroom, pausing to use my ankles as a makeshift bar area while I do the laundry...

2. SalsaVince

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sun Nov 4 2018 22:01:11
    #

Login to Send PM

"Conga line". You crack me up Hope. Glad you are keeping your sense of humor.
    I can't give you much of an expert opinion since as you know, I'm a newbie. From my own experience, I estimate that my mom's infestation had only been going on for about 3 or 4 weeks at the most, thank goodness! She was able to see the fecal stains and bugs and eggs on her mattress and box spring without looking very hard. I found one more hidden pretty good under a plastic corner piece on the box spring. There were a total of about 30-50 bugs in the bed area of her apartment.
    The recliner was more established by a few weeks I think since there were 100-200 bugs in it. They were bold enough to make appearances during the day by that point but most were hiding under the foot rest. Although they had been heavily drinking, I got a hold on them before they got to the point of dancing in line.

Tell me a success story, please!
    Vince
  3. keephopealive

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Mon Nov 5 2018 7:55:03
    #

Login to Send PM

"Although they had been heavily drinking" love it

Thanks for the info; I find it really interesting that infestations have so many variables that affect the speed of reproduction/visible signs becoming present.

Like yourself, I have a trusty steamer at the ready and am itching (literally) to use it. I never thought I'd say that as my initial shock at finding those 2 bugs made me hope I'd never see another but 3 months of being chomped on has me fully ready for battle, though I dearly hope to be proved wrong....

How is your battle going; did you manage to steam your way to victory in spite of the lackluster PCO?

4. MsBedbughater

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Mon Nov 5 2018 11:10:16
    #

Login to Send PM

What steamer do you use?

5. MsBedbughater

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Mon Nov 5 2018 11:36:06
    #

Login to Send PM

6. SalsaVince

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Mon Nov 5 2018 11:46:27
    #

Login to Send PM

That's got to be frustrating wondering if they're hidden and multiplying without being able to do anything about it. I would imagine that after 3 months, you would have at least caught one of them in your monitors or inspecting the mattress. Even if they were tiny nymphs, they would have grown into adults by now and been taunting you to your face. Do you have pets? Could it be fleas or some other smaller pest? After enough time goes by, hopefully, you'll feel more and more reassured that they're gone even and can figure out what else might be causing those bumps.

My battle is going unexpectedly well considering that I had to fight them by myself so far. It's been very quiet. Just a couple of young dead ones near her chair but no activity for almost a week now. They are spraying the whole building on Thursday. I will go over Wednesday night and check the traps and look things over, making sure it's ready. I think the steam followed by the cimexa was effective enough to deal the fatal blow to them but we shall see. I'm also worried about protecting her apartment after they spray all of the neighbors so that they don't wander in from next door.

MsHater, I use a Pursteam brand hand held steamer and it worked great. $39 on Amazon.

7. MsBedbughater

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Mon Nov 5 2018 11:51:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks!

8. keephopealive

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Mon Nov 5 2018 12:16:57
    #

Login to Send PM

SalsaVince - 19 minutes ago  » 
    That's got to be frustrating wondering if they're hidden and multiplying without being able to do anything about it. I would imagine that after 3 months, you would have at least caught one of them in your monitors or inspecting the mattress. Even if they were tiny nymphs, they would have grown into adults by now and been taunting you to your face. Do you have pets? Could it be fleas or some other smaller pest? After enough time goes by, hopefully, you'll feel more and more reassured that they're gone even and can figure out what else might be causing those bumps.
    My battle is going unexpectedly well considering that I had to fight them by myself so far. It's been very quiet. Just a couple of young dead ones near her chair but no activity for almost a week now. They are spraying the whole building on Thursday. I will go over Wednesday night and check the traps and look things over, making sure it's ready. I think the steam followed by the cimexa was effective enough to deal the fatal blow to them but we shall see. I'm also worried about protecting her apartment after they spray all of the neighbors so that they don't wander in from next door.
    MsHater, I use a Pursteam brand hand held steamer and it worked great. $39 on Amazon.

Thanks Vince,

Yes, it's definitely frustrating as I'd rather have a few weeks killing them off rather than months of uncertainty. I had thought of fleas but again, no sign of anything despite thorough searching and we don't have pets.... I just have a feeling that because I noticed them before bringing the infested item into our home, perhaps I managed to drop them off from my clothing and they could be hiding in an obscure place/ not seeking harborage close to the host in the usual way, especially as I work from home and they have multiple chances to grab a bite....obviously this is all speculation and possibly a product of my currently overactive mind!

Glad to hear your battle is going well, it sounded like you might have been successful from your last posting...I really hope so.

9. VeryScared2FindOut

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Tue Nov 6 2018 10:41:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Uncertainty is probably worse than not being able to plan an attack. I sure hope you find a resolution soon. I can sympathize completely as I still search beds with the flashlight and actually peeled back a mop board just to look the other day...on a side note...I think I have identified many more issues with my house in my manic search...the best of luck to you keephopealive

10. keephopealive

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Tue Nov 6 2018 11:14:04
    #

Login to Send PM

VeryScared2FindOut - 30 minutes ago  » 
    Uncertainty is probably worse than not being able to plan an attack. I sure hope you find a resolution soon. I can sympathize completely as I still search beds with the flashlight and actually peeled back a mop board just to look the other day...on a side note...I think I have identified many more issues with my house in my manic search...the best of luck to you keephopealive

And to you too.

Yes, hearing you on the uncovering other issues; the benefits and drawbacks of hyper vigilance eh!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

281,578 posts in 46,826 topics over 143 months by 20,660 of 21,557 members. Latest: Dread Bugs, gbbedbug, BuggedOUTinOH