Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

How long before I would see fecal stains, etc?

(12 posts)
  1. Mofear

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Sep 11 2010 17:42:05
    #

Login to Send PM

I have been getting bites since the first week of August or so. So far, other than bites, no signs of bedbugs. (I had some black stuff on my cheek when I got up very early one morning. Husband said it was probably mascra--but it smeared wet.) There are no signs of anything on our sheets. Would we be seeing fecal stains by now if it is bedbugs? I just can't understand why there are no obvious signs, since it has been over a month. We put Climb Ups on last night--nothing in them this morning. Had Nightwatch set up early in August for 3 nights, nothing. It has been set up for 3 nights again so far, and nothing. Bites are increasing. When should we start seeing signs? We can't go on like this much longer. The anxiety is destroying us and our kids. Should I let them go to other people's houses?
    Mofear

2. Mofear

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Sep 12 2010 11:49:05
    #

Login to Send PM

bumping--anyone?

3. toledo

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Sep 14 2010 14:52:00
    #

Login to Send PM

I'd like to know the answer, too. My daughter had been getting bit for 2 1/2 months before she finally caught a bug. There are absolutely no signs anywhere that they were bed bugs.

4. bugnut

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Sep 15 2010 8:43:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Unfortunately, they could be in your bed. If this is so, it could be possible they would not be in the climb ups yet. If the infestation is small, they would not yet have a reason to find a new harborage, and could be in the mattress or boxspring (KQ says 70% of the time they are found in the box - perfect place for them). They come out, feed on you and go back to their hiding spot.

If it were me - I would strip the bed, inspect closely - Rip the fabriz covering off the bottom of the boxspring to see inside and remove any bugs, eggs etc you see and then spray box (inside and out) with Bedlam and encase both - I have 2 encasements on the box in the event one rips.

You can also have a PCO inspect and do the following steps.

5. 123bugs

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Sep 16 2010 0:50:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi -
    I'm in similar situation - feel like I'm getting bites and just can't find the proof. I would be in early stages of infestation as know I was exposed three weeks ago - same thing - would like to know how long it would be till a population gets to the size that you are able to do see the feces and other evidence around. Good luck - will watch and see what others say too......

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Sep 16 2010 1:10:06
    #

Login to Send PM

How many bites is each person reporting per night? Is everyone reacting?

If you have bed bugs, they will be feeding about once a week each (though sometimes two or three bites are made at once by one bug -- we're told they sometimes start and stop and move). And they release black fecal matter after each feeding. Whether you can find it or not is another matter. It may take time, but if they're bed bugs, it's there.

There are resources under Comprehensive Guides in the Resources page (linked at top) which show how to search, and a careful inspection may yield something.

Experts tell us that active monitors take time to work -- especially if you have a small or early infestation. 3 days is probably not enough.

Same with the passives like the ClimbUps. You could double up and use the ClimbUps with a BBAlert Passive in your bed or frame, which would attract them if they're in or near the bed. Again, it will take time.

If you want more time with an active monitor, but can't get the Nightwatch back, the Bed Bug Beacon, run for two weeks, may also catch a sample. It has worked for others.

There are various options and you do not have to employ all of them, but you might consider more than one, and you should deploy them for a few weeks.

Dogs are an option but please ask them if they visually confirm the presence of bed bugs after the dog alerts -- before you hire them.

More in the detection FAQ.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  7. 123bugs

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Sep 16 2010 1:27:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugs - tomorrow I am taking anything I have found that I think could be bedbug related to an entamologist - do you think they can identify bedbugs by the feces? Because that's what I think I have samples of, plus one sample of something that was on my neck (but it kind of got squashed).
    Thanks!

8. 123bugs

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Sep 16 2010 1:28:27
    #

Login to Send PM

I have a bedbug beacon on order and more climbups (have them on one bed so far......)

9. 123bugs

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Sep 16 2010 1:29:22
    #

Login to Send PM

.........and a bedbug sniffing dog said I don't have bedbugs, but that was after I had only been home a week and I'm still worried and thinking I do have them........

10. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Sep 16 2010 2:07:37
    #

Login to Send PM

ihatenewyork - 37 minutes ago  » 
    .........and a bedbug sniffing dog said I don't have bedbugs, but that was after I had only been home a week and I'm still worried and thinking I do have them........

The dogs are not all equally effective and there are situations that can throw them off.

Make sure you rule out other possibilities like fleas, scabies. Is there a reason you suspect you brought bed bugs home?

11. 123bugs

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Sep 16 2010 8:56:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes. I was in New York and after I was home for a week the hotel confirmed that there were bedbugs in my room. A week after I got home the dog came and said I did not have them. I thought the dog was right and was very relieved but shortly thereafter starting feelng like I was getting bites again. Last Friday night woke up and found something on my neck - had unconsciously brushed at it and that's how realized something was there (this was at 5am) - looked in the mirror and to me it looked like a bedbug, but it is partly squashed so wasn't 100% sure. Two days later found 2 very very tiny specks in my interceptors - they are so small can't see legs on them with a magnigying glass, so not sure those are bedbugs either. Have found various black things - 2 types - one is round black dry small things (on mattress under sheet,), and the other is the occasional black 'fleck.' Last night found 1 large fleck and 2 small round ones in my interceptor, but no bug. (Shouldn't say interceptor I guess - I have interceptors on my daughter's bed but on mine I only have disposable tupperware dishes with vaseline on the inside bottom edges. Mmore interceptors on order). A I have found no black 'stains' on the mattress - everything is removeable. Late to drive to where entamologist is so must run - thanks for help.....

12. 123bugs

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Sep 17 2010 19:58:17
    #

Login to Send PM

posting 123........

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,432 posts in 50,192 topics over 156 months by 21,934 of 22,435 members. Latest: esedndwi, Help123, Bedbugdaydreams