Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

How long before bed bugs would be noticed?

(8 posts)
  1. livewithfive

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun May 8 2016 12:17:48
    #

Login to Send PM

I am a school nurse and about 2 1/2 weeks ago I was notified that a student had bed bugs at home. I began taking precautions to decrease the chances of transmission at the school and had the student begin coming into my office in the morning and changing her clothes. I inspected her shoes. I put her clothes and backpack in a sealed large ziploc bag and then took the things to the laundry room to be dried. I left her backpack in the ziploc bag without drying it because of all the items she had in it, but felt comfortable because it was sealed.

Fast forward 2 days and I found 2 dead bed bugs after drying her items AND realized there was a small hole in the ziploc bag I had been storing her backpack in.

Now I am petrified that somehow I may have inadvertently brought one home to my bed and family. I now change my clothes daily before coming home and isolate my bag/purse, but I was not being quite so careful in the two days before I found the hole in the bag.

About 12-13 days after this I woke up with several welts on my hip - right under my underwear line, which I realize would be a weird place to be bitten by a bed bug. The welts did not itch and disappeared within a few hours. I have not had anything since.

I am obsessively checking my sheets, mattress, curtains, nightstand, picture frames and baseboards for any signs of bugs. I even get up in the middle of the night and shine a flashlight under my covers. I have also checked my kids beds. So far, nothing. No skins, no blood, no fecal stains, no bugs.

It has now been about 16 days since first exposure. With diligent checking, how long before I should notice something if it is here? I am about to lose my mind and drive my husband crazy in the process.

2. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun May 8 2016 14:07:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Bedbugs feed every five to seven days. If you've gone two weeks without any signs, you're probably in the clear. Be sure to check the back side of the headboard and the underside of the box frame.

PCO and inventor of a bio active bedbug trap
  3. livewithfive

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun May 8 2016 15:40:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for your response. Two questions:

- Are the welts in the underwear line typical of bed bugs or should I assume something else unless I find proof?

- In your experience, how possible would it be that a bed bug on a backpack inside a plastic bag, move off the backpack, find the hole in the plastic bag and move to another location in a well lit, busy office area in the middle of the day: i.e. the bag I brought from home.

I understand you cannot give definite answers. I am just asking about typical behavior.

4. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun May 8 2016 18:27:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Bedbugs can be active during the day if they're hungry and looking for a food source. On the other hand, a well fed bug may not even want to relocate at the moment.

5. livewithfive

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon May 16 2016 20:14:27
    #

Login to Send PM

I feel like I need a little bit of follow up to this question. It has been almost a month now since the possible exposure. I continue to get minor skin irritations every now and then and in my mind I can not rule out bed bugs. I have thoroughly inspected my bedroom and have found nothing - no bugs, no fecal staining, no casts. By this point would I be able to find some evidence of bed bugs if I had them or could I be dealing with a some very good hiders?

6. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue May 17 2016 8:04:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Did you check the headboard? If you can't find any fecal staining after 30 days, chances are you're in the clear.

7. livewithfive

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue May 17 2016 10:01:07
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't have a headboard. Our bed is up against a window. I have checked around the frame of the window, the wall underneath, the blinds and the curtains very well - nothing. I currently have our bed pulled out away from the window/wall with duct tape around the legs of the bed. I know that may not be very effective, but it at least helps my mind. I have pulled every drawer out of the dresser and checked every nook and cranny, including underneath the dressers. I have even taken the outlet covers off and checked inside. And of course, I have checked the bed thoroughly. I actually spent about 4 hours one evening checking my bedroom. I am not a cluttered person, so there are not many other places to hide, although I have checked all books and papers within the room.

I have family coming this weekend and am so paranoid I could pass something on to them.

I have heard that it takes about 3 months before people usually notice an infestation, but I am wondering how long it would take to notice if one is frequently checking.

8. bedbuggin

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed May 18 2016 22:58:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Have you tried the climb up traps? They are very helpful at giving peace of mind! Also just glue traps may help. My PCO told me once that if I had bedbugs I would know on one or two months for sure, because they reproduce very quickly and infestations get severe quickly. Also, make sure you check closets and places you wouldn't expect...when I had them they were congregating in my master bathroom...

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,661 posts in 50,010 topics over 154 months by 21,869 of 22,351 members. Latest: pleasestop, paintersmelbourne, Mercy Me