Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug pest control firms (PCOs), Bed bug k9s, etc.

How long after treatment should I get a canine inspection?

(4 posts)
  1. LSS

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Sep 21 2013 21:56:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all

my second post here. I am about 2.5 weeks into what appears to be small infestation (though it seems now like this has been going on forever). Here is where things are at right now, which might help you answer my question. I had the place treated a week and a half ago by orkin, and they are coming back this tuesday for a second treatment. The technician said he found no living bugs (I found a few and had about 8 or 9 bites a few days prior to this - then cleared my place like a madman to get ready for the treatment. 4 days after the treatment i found two live bugs in my mattress seam. At this point i decided to throw the mattress out (I discussed this in a previous post - I did so safely and am sleeping on an air mattress till this is resolved). Since then I haven't been bitten - so that's 19 days without a bite, and haven't seen live bugs in one week (found a dead one i think in another room in the apartment which freaked me out since i thought they were only in the bedroom; though have seen no dead bugs elsewhere, including the bedroom). again, no bites for 19 days, no live bug sightings for 7 days.

ok,. so that's my situation. I am hoping that i will continue to go unbitten and not see live bugs - and if that's the case for a couple of weeks i was thinking of getting a canine inspection, which orkin offers...
    they said the earliest i could have one would be two weeks after the treatment, so the chemicals wouldn't inter with the dog's ability to smell.

My hope is that the dog would come - not smell anything, and i could stop waiting and worrying to be bitten or see a bug. problem i think is the dog will smell dead bugs - and then if the technician can not find them, then i will worry i still have a bed bug problem when maybe I don't - it could actually make me more anxious. I already have an anxiety disorder and this situation has severaly triggered me - so the canine is for peace of mind. but like i said it could do the opposite... I thought maybe i should wait longer - like a month after treatment...

Any thoughts? Thank you. appreciate your input and hope everyone is making progress in their battles with these, as my dad called them "mobster-bugs"

Also, I definitely react to bites - the normal big red welts - so how promising is nearly 3 weeks without a bite... if they are still their - why aren't they biting me? - I live alone, so they are not biting someone else , though i have a cat, but have been told by orkin that bugs will always chose a human meal over a cat or do for that matter. Also, why aren't I finding more dead bugs (I worry they are hiding and not getting poisoned, but I hope is they were mostly in the mattress or dead under some baseboard)

Thanks!

2. MeltySpatulae

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Sep 21 2013 22:44:40
    #

Login to Send PM

problem i think is the dog will smell dead bugs

The consensus from two different K9 companies I've spoken with around the Bay Area seems to suggest that, while a dog can certainly pick up the scent of dead bedbugs, they're only trained to alert to the presence of live ones, so I don't think that'd be an issue. Might be worth talking it over with the handler though!

3. potomaccanine

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Sep 22 2013 7:44:34
    #

Login to Send PM

A properly trained and operating canine should only be alerting on live bugs and viable eggs. Again, it comes down to the quality of the TEAM.

4. needrest

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Sep 22 2013 17:08:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, I,m no expert. I love dogs but would not trust them with BB issues. Thats me personaly. Seems like there would be too much going on with dead bugs around and chemicals. Why not get a monitor? Sounds like you beat the little devils! Good luck with whatever choice you make.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,655 posts in 49,519 topics over 153 months by 21,698 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982