Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

How Long After A Meal Does A BB Shed Their Skin?

(3 posts)
  1. i hate buggs

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun May 27 2012 11:01:14
    #

Login to Send PM

How Long After A Meal Does A BB Shed Their Skin?

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun May 27 2012 11:47:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

It is no the processes of feeding which causes a skin to be shed it is a product of their development. Only juvenile bedbugs will shed their skin and then only as they develop. It may take a few feeds between shedding on skin but it may under certain temperatures only require one.

There is also no accurate way to age a skin.

It is an incredibly complex insect to map in terms of the population dynamics and development times to its kind of one of those areas you are best not thinking about in that or any other way. Its a distraction more than a help.

If you really want to invest the time to look into it the best reference is Monograph of Cimicidae
    (Hemiptera- Heteroptera) By ROBERT L. USINGER published 1966 the 582 page bible for entomologists interested in bedbugs. Not 100% accurate and I have long hoped to see a 20XX edition edited by Lou Sorkin but it is something of a niche publication and unlikely to make many peoples block buster by sales volumes (although physical weight is impressive alone).

Hope that explains.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  3. klopi

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun May 27 2012 12:49:50
    #

Login to Send PM

I AM NOT A BEDBUG EXPERT AND YOUR RESULTS MAY VARY

I caught a nymph that I fed a couple times; it took about two days after a feeding for it to move up a development stage. My impression was that it needed to digest the blood meal entirely and return to regular size before it would cast. More noticeable than the cast skin was the characteristic blood streak that it would produce very soon after a full feeding.

This is only one bug and you shouldn't draw conclusions from my experience, but maybe other people will chime in with more anecdotes.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,685 posts in 50,015 topics over 155 months by 21,869 of 22,351 members. Latest: pleasestop, paintersmelbourne, Mercy Me