Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

How likely are car infestations?

(7 posts)
  1. DontNeedThisCrap

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Mar 2 2017 20:30:48
    #

Login to Send PM

So, I'm getting ready to move to a new place (unfortunately, all of the moving stuff/signing leases was done before I found out that I have bedbugs). I am attempting to securely bag/store the few things besides clothes that I wish to keep and will be treating them at a storage unit that I have rented.

My big concern is that my car is infested and I don't know. I've tried to look for the critters and have crawled, vacuumed, and hand inspected everywhere in the car that I can get to. Unfortunately, there is just so much of the car that I can't get to.

I'm really worried that the bugs are also in my car and that even though I am trying to take so many precautions in moving to the new place, they will just move out of my car to infest the new place.

How likely is it for cars to become infested? Should I be worried about this or is it just paranoia?

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Mar 3 2017 0:05:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Experts tell us car infestations are not common. Not unheard of, but not common.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Mar 3 2017 8:41:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Just to confirm, they are rare, much more common when the vehicle is used for sleeping or with long haul trips where you may stay at multiple locations.

I would advise that the day before you move you spend time deep cleansing the vehicle (adjusting and moving seats). You should always do this yourself unless you specifically engage a forensic level valet at significant cost.

Take care when packing your items to keep them as bed bug free as possible which may mean packing ahead of the conventional few days to ensure you have time to check everything. Seal items of concern so they can be dealt with later.

Unpack and get life to normal as quickly as you can in the new location and integrate monitoring from the start. This way you can make sure that if anything follows or if you continue to bring anything in you have a plan in place to deal with it.

Hope that keeps things in perspective.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  4. BBuster

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Mar 4 2017 9:35:46
    #

Login to Send PM

My car is badly infested, cannot afford to dump it and ofcourse cannot sell it either in this state.

5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Mar 4 2017 9:51:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi BBuster,

Could you start a new thread and attach images of the infestation in the vehicle and lets see what we can do to help.

David

6. BBuster

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Mar 4 2017 12:08:52
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not going to put a lot of energy into searching, grabbing, photographing, posting a bb from my car.
    You can't help with the car neither as any one of you could with the infestation at my appartement.
    Ok, Cimexa and heat has been the most usefull thing.
    I boil my clothing every single time I have used my car. I try to use the car as less as possible.
    I applied Cimexa on the seats, covered the seats with plastics, applied more Cimexa, covered that with a nice carseatcover.
    I don't live in my car and eventualy the bb's will die.
    Friends know about it and I made them clear I will not transport anybody but myself with my car.

Thanks anyway.

7. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Mar 4 2017 12:25:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Exactly, help you in the same way.

That starts with confirming the species with a picture.

The reason for asking for a picture is to assess the scale and thus advise you based on what has worked in vehicle cases before.

David

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,666 posts in 48,867 topics over 151 months by 21,454 of 21,857 members. Latest: frejohansen, Bedbugs47, Ccronk22@gmail.com