Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

How it's possible to have evidence in 7-14 days? ( PCO)

(11 posts)
  1. Giguy

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Dec 29 2015 8:38:34
    #

Login to Send PM

I have been reading for a few days and see some PCO state that within 7-14 days of being bit or believing you brought home a BB that you would notice evidence.
    How could it be if eggs take 2 weeks to hatch? Then for 2 weeks you would only have one BB and I can't imagine the fecal matter from one BB is going to be easy to find.

I own a single family home in Texas It's just my wife and I now and we are both retired. We do entertain often and believe that during a party, a BB was introduced into our home.
    11 days ago, I woke up with a few bites. A few days after, a few more. After the 4 th time of being bitten, I called a PCO in A major city here who only works with BB s.
    He has recommended treating even though he has not found evidence. He came to my home and carefully inspected my entire home although the other bedrooms do not have sleeping occupants He explained before coming that it will be very hard to find just one. He believes that waiting will prolong the problem making it harder to treat and thinks it's best to treat before all those eggs start hatching.

Curious to hear back

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Dec 29 2015 8:53:54
    #

Login to Send PM

There will be evidence, but finding it that early can be tricky. I've found a single bed bug on a mattress before, but that may have been just luck coming across the single harborage. I've had eggs hatch in only five or six days in a controlled environment, two weeks is not the norm.
    Like anything else, do not treat something that you cannot confirm. Live samples, cast skins or fecal matter need to be present, otherwise your skin irritations may have a different source and the treatment time, money and frustration will have been for no reason.

3. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Dec 29 2015 9:32:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Evidence can be tricky to find at times. But if you didn't bring in any adult females, you have a window of time to nip it in the bud.

PCO and inventor of a bio active bedbug trap
  4. Giguy

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Dec 31 2015 23:13:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Well now a k9 dog has alerted an area but no visual. What a messy predicament to be in!

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jan 1 2016 13:49:57
    #

Login to Send PM

K9 alerts aren't considered proof of bed bugs without visual evidence to back them up. Did the human search after the alert and find nothing, or just take the dog's word for it?

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  6. Giguy

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jan 1 2016 21:55:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Said that the dog knows best. He went to the same spot 4 times

7. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Jan 2 2016 0:37:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Giguy - 2 hours ago  » 

Where was the spot?

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  8. Giguy

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Jan 2 2016 8:11:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Loubugs

It was the boxspring.

9. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Jan 2 2016 8:49:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Look closely where the upholstery is stapled to the box frame. And also look where the wood intersects.

10. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Jan 2 2016 18:28:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Boxsprings can be hard to inspect, right? Someone on this site suggested a magnifying glass and maybe some sort of light (is infrared better?)? I don't read as regularly as I used to and am not an expert.

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  11. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Jan 3 2016 2:30:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Giguy - 1 day ago  » 

None of the experts active on our site, nor those we're aware of elsewhere, currently have endorsed this approach. We're told you need a dog handler who will "show you the bugs" (to quote Michael Potter of the U of Kentucky) or other visual evidence.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,734 posts in 48,881 topics over 151 months by 21,459 of 21,861 members. Latest: NHbugs, nervousbackpacker, SimpleObserver