How is the site working today? & Thanks to all who offer help

(9 posts)
  1. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Jun 22 2015 22:55:31
    #

Login to Send PM

We've had high traffic all day, including 150 people online at once when I checked a moment ago. It is a reminder that the 48 people listed as being "online today" (Monday) -- because they logged into the forums -- is just a drop in the bucket compared to how many read and use the site but don't post.

It's why we always say we're not just responding to the person who asks a question, but all the others out there (the majority) who may also read the answers.

Just a thanks to everyone here who tries to offer support, bug IDs, and bed bug information, experts and bed bug veteran consumers alike.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  2. bbnewbie123

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Jun 23 2015 0:36:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for keeping up the site!!! It's really a great resource for people. There is so much bad information out there, and a lot of the time this problem can be really overwhelming. I have been able to relate to others on here and talk about the stress and fears of struggling with them. And the experts on here are amazing. I really appreciate your hard work keeping up the site and everyone who contributes.

3. RNinNYC

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Jun 23 2015 10:45:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Just wanted to echo BBnewb- this site is a great resource and everyone who participates on their own time to help, support, and comfort others is earning good karma and are much appreciated

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Jun 23 2015 13:23:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, RN and BB! We really are lucky to have so many great volunteers here. Without everyone's contributions, the site would not exist.

5. robinsmom

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Jun 23 2015 16:00:08
    #

Login to Send PM

I wasn't on the site this time last year, but I sure noticed a dramatic uptic in posts (esp ones with bed bugs positively being identified) around May. Your pros are REALLY coming through for the newbies. I'm impressed as hell, because I'm seeing your experts posting at midnight, sometimes before 5 am (their time). Good job, everyone!! Great site, nobugs!!!!! Seriously one of THE most helpful sites on all the web.

I'm not an expert just a dumb struggling bed bugger like every body else.
  6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Jun 24 2015 10:09:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, Robinsmom. The experts are amazing for giving of their time and knowledge as they do.

And yes-- though bed bugs are a year round problem, they multiply more quickly in the warmer months and so the problem is more common in summer. The site traffic always goes up and down seasonally, though it also continues to grow overall.

7. Montrealer2

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Jul 20 2015 2:19:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Nobugs,

I second, third and fourth the kudos for this site -- thank you so much for being (to paraphrase Homer Simpson's comment on alcohol) the answer to and new cause of my insomnia.
    In the few weeks since I've been a registered user, I have appreciated the feedback and info from you and your users (hi, Robinsmom!). The fact that experts such as LouBugs, Paul Bello and David Cain also offer their time is the cherry on the whipped cream on the icing (and on the eventual dental cary).
    I have one question/query/suggestion about the Search Results format of the site, however. Searches yield sometimes hundreds of results depending on specificity of search terms, but even when only a few pages of results are listed, there is no way to know when the thread was begun/ended, thus leading to (for me) a lot of time reading through posts only to see that some of the info is no longer relevant (old methods, outdated products, etc.) and that other info is repeated in newer threads.
    Is there a way to add the Last and/or 1st Post date info to the search results? Or perhaps order results so that they are always "most recent first"?
    Thanks very much, regardless of whether this is an issue that you have time/inclination to tackle. Your site has been tremendous help thus far.
    Now back to my beer reading.

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Jul 20 2015 21:07:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Montrealer2,

Thanks so much for your kind words about the site.

Yes-- the search function doesn't work well on this part of the site. It's a Google search box but the way this software is designed, I can't use the most advanced forms of Google search. This isn't something I can fix right now but we will be migrating the forums soon to better software which should help.

However, there's a fix right now: go to bedbugger.com or click the link to Bedbugger Blog at top on this page.

Then go to the search box on the right top of the sidebar. Although it is also a Google search box (as on the forums), you'll find it is much more advanced and will allow you to rank results by relevance or date. Also, it searches the forums as well as the main site.

I hope that helps until we can get the forums to another format with better search! Please let me know.

9. Montrealer2

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Jul 22 2015 15:18:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey hey! Thanks, Nobugsonme—that fix worked quite well. (And you are most welcome on the well-deserved compliments. Bedbugger has become my newest Home page. )

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,692 posts in 49,781 topics over 154 months by 21,790 of 22,255 members. Latest: bedbugsonthebrain, Worried-bedbugger, Smacker82