How hot do black plastic bags get

(2 posts)
  1. dcbedbugger

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jun 14 2012 13:42:05
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm dealing with a bedbug issue in DC. I've got a little porch that has a silver coating on it that radiates heat -- so I think an ideal place to place black plastic bags with stuff in it that has been washed and dried as an extra precaution.

The black plastic bags have been out there for only 10 minutes and are starting to pucker a bit (aka melt a little). How hot does this mean the contents are getting? Any idea?

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jun 14 2012 14:01:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Sorry short answer NO.

Reason - the sun is a conductive heat source to the bags and thus the heating is not delivered to the infested items in a way that will result in 100% guaranteed thermal death.

There is a great paper on this, link below:

http://www.bioone.org/doi/abs/10.1603/0022-0493-99.6.2132?journalCode=ecen

I am actually testing something at the second where the air temperature gets to about 170 F and under those conditions I can often get items placed in the UK to drop in temperature before they slowly rise but never to a critical death temperature for bedbugs. This product has been years in the development but clearly I have tested it more thoroughly than them in 24 hours than they have to date.

If you want to look into the physics of why this is a very complex area and fraught with problems PM me as understanding the maths and equations is literally an OCD in itself and there is only 1 other person in the industry who knows most of it and yet we are both still learning.

Hope that helps, it will certainly help you to avoid failures.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,892 posts in 50,057 topics over 155 months by 21,882 of 22,369 members. Latest: sai, Mary Borges, Pleasebegone2019