Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

How fast do they run?

(6 posts)
  1. pleasenotme

Posted 11 years ago
    Sun Jan 6 2008 18:11:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Can anyone tell me how fast they run?

2. mrbill0626

Posted 11 years ago
    Sun Jan 6 2008 18:59:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Why? You mean bed bugs, right?
    I don't know if anyone has clocked them running, but it's probably less than a mile per hour. Well, maybe it depends on the type of surface they are on. I think they prefer wood or cloth surfaces, because they can probably get better traction on there than on smooth surfaces, like glass or metal. I've read they don't like to crawl on plastic either. But I'm just curious as to why it's important to you to know how fast they run.

Hope this helps

Mr Bill

3. pleasenotme

Posted 11 years ago
    Sun Jan 6 2008 19:33:06
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm wondering because when I wake up and shine my flashlight around I've still never caught sight of one, despite being bitten. I sleep with my flashlight in hand and wake up about 10 times per night and try to catch them in the act. I thought they must be scattering very quickly. Or maybe the ones biting me are too small to see. I still have never seen any definite sighting of them, just evidence that it is probably them.
    Thanks for your help Mr Bill

4. Bites44

Posted 11 years ago
    Sun Jan 6 2008 21:41:47
    #

Login to Send PM

I surprised two nymphs in October when I was actively looking for them. They were moving very fast. How fast? Well I had to really move quickly to get my finger on them to kill them. They were in fact going full speed. I phoned the entomology Department and asked the same question: How fast do they move, (at first I was not sure they were bed bugs, and I was simply amazed at how fast they were going). The Professor said to me: "What's fast to you may not be fast to me." Some help that was.

So, in the matter of saying they move so fast per minute, that would be hard to say. I would say, the ones I saw were traveling much faster than an ant.

5. pleasenotme

Posted 11 years ago
    Sun Jan 6 2008 23:01:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Bites. That's what I was looking for.

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Jan 7 2008 0:59:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Lou Sorkin has mentioned that they move more slowly after feeding than when hungry. There is bed bug video on the blog from Lou which shows this. (It's a video of Lou's bed bug colony moving around a jar slowly, so not probably going to help you decide how fast they run in the "wild." But interesting.)
    http://bedbugger.com/2007/10/06/lou-sorkins-bed-bug-colony/

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,373 posts in 50,181 topics over 156 months by 21,932 of 22,430 members. Latest: Beachhouse, bbguy, Ladybug1993