Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

How easy to transfer bed bugs?

(7 posts)
  1. AllDevilBugsMustDie

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Wed Mar 13 2019 17:21:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Having been through the bed bug nightmare this past summer/fall I'm now terrified I may have transferred them from a friends. I was going to room with a friend of mine who has MS and recently lost his roommate/help around the house. He just got out of the hospital after a lengthy stay a few weeks ago. His house is a mess as he can't get around very well. I've stayed overnight twice and been bitten both times. The first night there were two bites close together on my wrist the next day and I didn't think much of it. I figured it was possibly a spider. After the second night there were alot more the next day. Both wrists and my ankle. They look similar in grouping but look/feel different in other ways from my previous bed bug bites. I slept in two different spots in his living room. There is some old carpet down in the basement but his furniture upstairs is fairly new. Could it be carpet beatles? I'm terrified it's bed bugs and I may have brought them back home with me somehow since he's been in my car and I've gone back and forth twice. I'm in the process of moving out over my last bought with them. I was going to move into his spare room to be able to help him out around the house but now I'm afraid to go back and I don't know what to tell him. He's a very good friend and he really needs the help and company. I feel awful and now I'm confused and scared and paranoid all over again. How likely is the possibility of transferring bed bugs between places?

2. SalsaVince

Posted 4 months ago
    Wed Mar 13 2019 17:34:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Of course, no one is going to be able to confirm whether your friend has bed bugs or not with the amount of information that you've provided. Anytime you experience bites like that, until you've been able to thoroughly inspect and rule them out, you have to follow the standard bed bug protocol with bedding and clothing in case they are present so that you don't transfer them to other parts of his home or your own home. As far as your concern of hurting his feelings, it would be considerate of you to try to help him if he does have a bed bug issue rather than pretend that nothing happened. You should share your own experience and explain why you are concerned and see if you can get his place inspected by a professional now before the problem gets worse. If it's not bed bugs, great! You can focus on helping your friend with other things. If it is, you can help with declutter and make treatments more effective so he can be rid of them as fast as possible. Hope you both get whatever the issue is resolved soon.

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles."
    Not an expert. Just a survivor who's still learning.
    Vince
  3. bugged-cdn

Posted 4 months ago
    Wed Mar 13 2019 17:52:52
    #

Login to Send PM

The first night there were two bites close together on my wrist. (...) Both wrists and my ankle. They look similar in grouping .

Don't worry about patterns or groupings. It's not indicative of bed bugs. There's a lot of misinformation out there (breakfast, lunch and dinner). In two infestations and more bites than I can count, there was never any pattern.

4. AllDevilBugsMustDie

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Thu Mar 14 2019 11:28:18
    #

Login to Send PM

While I know bites are not definitive of bed bugs sans a live bug or other concrete evidence, having been through this before it's hard to not start freaking out. I woke up at my place with several new bites. I'm hoping to God that it's a delayed reaction and that I haven't brought them back here. I did tell my friend and he said he'd take care of it and hung up on me. I will call him again later as he absolutely has something going on over there. My problem is that I am unemployed with zero income and $50 left to my name. I just went through a confirmed case of bed bugs in September and have been bug free at my place since treatment. I have been living as if still going through treatments ever since and am currently in the process of vacating my apartment over this issue with my landlord and now fear I have infested the place again on my way out. She will sue me for everything I have which is exactly nothing. I am going to toss everything I own besides clothes and personal items which have remained packed since the last bout with these vile creatures and try to once again start over from nothing, if I ever get another job which is not easy yo do in the current circumstances. I currently have about 8 large, red welts all over my face which showed up this morning. Wow, I really thought I was at the end of my rope a week ago but, welcome to the 10th circle of hell. Every time I attempt to do something to better my lot in life it turns out to bite me in the a**, quite literally. I feel as if I'm cursed. I can't go through this again.

5. HelpBB

Posted 4 months ago
    Thu Mar 14 2019 12:48:14
    #

Login to Send PM

AllDevilBugsMustDie, I feel the same as being cursed. I also feel like we are living in hell. We also have or currently battling bed bugs and have had so many unspeakable things happen to us and our kids this past year that has cost us what it would cost to buy a very expensive new car. We are so broke and so far in debt it is not funny.

To make matters worse we politely asked family and friends to not come over for a few months b/c we suspect that it might be possible that bb are being brought in from someone. I say this b/c we have had so many treatments and we will find a bed bug here and there (last bed bug was October but son was bit really bad in January and what looks like random bites on both son's since). Son's share a room and I have checked and found nothing fingers crossed it is something else. I fear it might be my mom and step dad that have them and kept bringing them in to our house. The reason I suspect this is b/c this time last year our children went to their house and stayed a few days. My husband also traveled a lot this time last year too but after finding out we had them I told my mom. I said they needed to have their place checked out. They said they weren't worried about it. My mom also went on to say that they have been giving a guy rides around town and to and from work to help him out and he has bed bugs. My mom also went on to say that a couple people she works with and has lunch with has bed bugs but she still isn't worried about getting them. My mom since starting treatment would randomly just show up at my house. She would invite herself in even though I asked her to please not come in. Just a few weeks ago I put my foot down and said I have told you we are not allowing anyone in till we can figure out what is going on so please abide by my wishes. Since then she has not answered my calls or called me. I have though received many mean texts from her of all the ways I am being absolutely unreasonable. I even asked since she refuses to have her house inspected by a pro if I can come by and check things out. She was insulted. All I am trying to do is figure out where they are coming from since the exterminator have said a few times that we must be reinfesting the house. We have been taking every step to not reinfest except for guests that have randomly showed up or for contractors coming in to fix things. I am heart broken that my mom does not understand. I hate what this has done to me and my family.

6. Makaylaxoh

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Thu Mar 14 2019 19:16:20
    #

Login to Send PM

AllDevilBugsMustDie - 7 hours ago  » 
    While I know bites are not definitive of bed bugs sans a live bug or other concrete evidence, having been through this before it's hard to not start freaking out. I woke up at my place with several new bites. I'm hoping to God that it's a delayed reaction and that I haven't brought them back here. I did tell my friend and he said he'd take care of it and hung up on me. I will call him again later as he absolutely has something going on over there. My problem is that I am unemployed with zero income and $50 left to my name. I just went through a confirmed case of bed bugs in September and have been bug free at my place since treatment. I have been living as if still going through treatments ever since and am currently in the process of vacating my apartment over this issue with my landlord and now fear I have infested the place again on my way out. She will sue me for everything I have which is exactly nothing. I am going to toss everything I own besides clothes and personal items which have remained packed since the last bout with these vile creatures and try to once again start over from nothing, if I ever get another job which is not easy yo do in the current circumstances. I currently have about 8 large, red welts all over my face which showed up this morning. Wow, I really thought I was at the end of my rope a week ago but, welcome to the 10th circle of hell. Every time I attempt to do something to better my lot in life it turns out to bite me in the a**, quite literally. I feel as if I'm cursed. I can't go through this again.

I am so so sorry. Currently going through it, too. Sounds like your friend definitely has them, even though we can't say without a confirmed bug SOMETHING'S going on. And your landlord can't sue you if you "brought them back in", she can't prove they ever truly left. All it takes is ONE SINGLE missed bug for an infestation to start again, and it's not your problem, you did what you could to have the place to attend and vacated the apartment (or are going to). Don't stress your shitty landlord too much, and when you find a new place worry more about not bringing them there than worrying about if you brought them back to your current apartment. Good luck and I'm so sorry life isn't being fair to you right now. Keep your head up.

7. AllDevilBugsMustDie

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Tue Mar 19 2019 14:58:11
    #

Login to Send PM

So much for dodging that bullet. Just found one. On top of everything else going on right now this is the last thing I need. My entire world is falling apart right now and this is the final straw. Officially broken.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,916 posts in 48,923 topics over 151 months by 21,472 of 21,878 members. Latest: NW516, Charly_051, EduardoR