Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

How do you sterilize a cat (with claws)?

(17 posts)
  1. bugsinminneapolis

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Jun 16 2008 19:54:32
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm scared my cats could have bed bug eggs on them, is this at all possible, and if so, what can I do?

2. itchynscratchy

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Jun 16 2008 21:14:47
    #

Login to Send PM

shave it

3. Bugologist

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Jun 16 2008 21:37:29
    #

Login to Send PM

That was the post of the year.

I hate to say something is impossible but your cat having bed bug eggs on him is pretty close to impossible. It's highly unlikely and not worth spending time considering.

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Jun 16 2008 23:17:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Please do NOT shave your cat!!!

Bed bugs will climb on a cat or dog and bite them, just as they will climb on us and bite us. But then they climb off, and run and hide. They do not live on us or pets, unlike lice on people, or fleas on pets.

Get the best treatment you can for your home and everyone will be more comfortable ASAP.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  5. potterpulsive

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Jun 17 2008 8:36:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Yeah good question. We are moving tyo a new place and not taking anything other than a baggie of ID and the cat, even stopping to buy new clothes on the way to the new place, but I can't leave the cat. How do I make sure she's ok?

6. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Jun 17 2008 10:46:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Bed bugs WILL NOT live on you or your animals. One may get caught in the hair but it does not want to be there. Shaving your pet is absurd, and before you consider anything drastic speak to your vet first. After a bed bug feeds it darts away from you to hide and digest it's meal, they can't stand being on you.

7. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Jun 17 2008 10:52:15
    #

Login to Send PM

How do you sterilize a cat (with claws)? Very carefully!!!

Shave it. No comment, although .....

Ya know you just can't make this stuff up!
    Seriously though, I am in agreement with bugologist, they're not like head lice (which could not place nits on cats anyway) so the odds of eggs being on cats is pretty nill.
    Although there was that hamster in the microwave story. Seriously it's not an issue.
    FYI No animals were harmed in the composition of this post.

8. bugsinminneapolis

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Jun 17 2008 14:18:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Just trying to cover all my bases. Is there anywhere else a bb would not lay eggs for sure?

9. itchynscratchy

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Jun 17 2008 18:33:42
    #

Login to Send PM

a bedbug won't lay eggs on a cat, but my pco said eggs can stick to a cat's fur and the cat can track the eggs elsewhere.

10. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Jun 17 2008 18:45:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Extremely unlikely, the proud mother of bed bugs will look for a more suitable, stable spot for her young and the adhesive will not lend itself to re sticking to cat fur like a post it sticky. Great now I pissed off 3M.

11. prayforamiracle

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Jun 17 2008 20:45:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Just checking in and you guys made me laugh.
    Thanks!

">^,,^<...

12. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Jun 18 2008 0:02:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Winston and Bugologist are some funny bed bug professionals.

13. Bugologist

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Jun 18 2008 7:01:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Again, not completely impossible that an egg could stick to a cats fur and it carry it around, buy highly unlikely. Bed bugs "glue" their eggs to the surface they are laid. If you've ever tried to vacuum them off of a hard surface, it sounds like sandpaper because they are hard and glued to the surface.

I could see a hatched, loose egg possibly sticking to a cat or other surface due to static, but that's about it. Key word there is hatched so if it is, no harm.

14. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Jun 18 2008 9:52:46
    #

Login to Send PM

In search of bed bugs, poop and eggs look under and up like in under a piece of furniture and up under like in a screw hole and slot or crack and crevice. Usually dark places.
    Start with your bed and the furniture next to it. Also behind picture frames ceiling mouldings and inside your box frame. Under furniture tags also. In order to clearly see the eggs you will first see a whitish spec like a dust spec and then you will have to use 10X magnification. Sometimes you may see some poop first which upon closer inspection you may find a cluster of eggs. With correct magnification you will be able to tell if the eggs were hatched or not. I suggest to all new people to view Lou Sorkin's images on this site.
    Lou's pictures are some of the best that I have seen.
    Good luck to all in your Bed Bug War.

15. aballen

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Jun 18 2008 19:05:09
    #

Login to Send PM

I have been dealing with two pests, Psocids, and the elusive bed bug. The cats do 100% of the time, leave behind Psocids when they get on my bed. So, a nymph is similar to a psocid, so much that we were told we were totaly infested with bed bugs in every room, turned out to be a Psocid infestation, much different problem and cure. But, I don't like the Psocids so I shave my long hair cat about once monthly. We simply bathe and comb frequently our short hair, and, the worst, they can't sleep with us until this is over and they are very traumatized. The long hair, however, could care less about her shaving, more hair, more bugs to hitch hike on.

16. Kimberleena

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Jul 10 2009 0:45:37
    #

Login to Send PM

I know this post is old, but I came across it while trying to find answers to ending MY bed bug nightmare... and I thought that I might contribute, for other people who come along the way I did.

I noticed that one of our cats always sleeps in the same place, and that place was where I discovered bed bug eggs. While we were cleaning the house prior to pest treatment we got rid of that chair. Well, our cat found another favorite sleeping place... the comforter I kept on top of a storage box. It took about a week, and then I noticed eggs on the comforter too! So I thought that maybe she was somehow carrying the eggs, or that the bugs were staying on her and laying eggs on the comforter.

Here's the final answer: She was carrying the eggs from her favorite hiding place!! I had the eggs examined by an entomologist, and 90% of the eggs were previously hatched. That meant 1 in every 10 could still hatch on her bed of choice! But the good news was that we were able to super treat her hiding place (behind a corner unit in our dining room) and also the path they traveled in the walls to the master bath ad bedroom where we found them initially. Doing that made a HUGE difference in combating those monsters. We're still only in the first month of pest control but I've gone from 40 new bites a night to 5 bites a week!

17. 123bugs

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Sep 14 2010 15:45:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Kimberleena -
    Well I did come along after, like you said. I am about to have my house treated for bb's. I am trying to consider all ways it could be reinfested afterwards, so as to avoid them. I am very worried about my cat and dog bringing bbs or eggs back into the house.

My other issue is that I need to go on a trip in a month or so and I need to be SURE that my pets couldn't tsf bbs when I do. I couldn't live with myself if passed them along to anyone else. I am seeking a method to ENSURE that I do no reinfest myself or anyone else via my cat and dog, after heat treating my house.

Ideas?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,818 posts in 50,044 topics over 155 months by 21,876 of 22,362 members. Latest: jnnafnlys01, simo7, Datnguyen