Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

How do you know when bedbugs are gone?

(5 posts)
  1. Starzzzz02

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Feb 12 2009 0:31:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi All,

Apologies for the long story, but here is our situation:

In early dec., my roommate and I had both been bitten over 30+ times over the span of 2 or 3 days. Shortly thereafter, we had our first and only bedbug sighting crawling around an ottoman in our living room. We went through two treatments with our landlord mandated exterminator, where they used suspend spray both times, spaced 2 weeks apart. The second treatment was done Dec 26th. Between the first and second treatment, we were still getting bites. Because we both have significant others living close by, we have not been sleeping in our apartment at the same time. However, one or the other of us has have been sleeping in our apartment around 5 nights a week. Other than one questionable/suspect patch of bites on my body from 2 weeks ago, we have not really gotten any type of bites that are similar to what we experienced before. The one patch of possible bites did not swell up like before and I am not sure that they were bites from bedbugs at all vs. a skin reaction.

We are wondering if this situation seems normal for a bedbug free environment? If we were still infected, would we have seen more bites by now? It has been almost 2 months since our last chemical treatment. We are still living out of ziploc bags and our apartment is mostly empty. We were not sure how long we should wait before we start resuming our normal lives. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

2. killthesebugs

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Feb 12 2009 1:30:48
    #

Login to Send PM

ok i have to ask this i had my first pco spray a week ago after the spray i didnt get bit for 6 days last night i got bit but found the tiniest bed bug on my air mattress. the bug guy came in again on 2 11 09 and sprayed again. i finally got up the never to sit on my couch i was bit again.so i am woundering if i just toss the couch and chairs in my living room and with the last spray being done on 2/11/09 do you think it would solve my bed bug problem in say about a week? i sleep in the same room that the couch is in. and the pco said he is coming back next week to inspect to see if the bugs are gone. i have to say my pco has been good about spraying he has come every week. i was hoping to be able to get a real bed in the house soon lol. thanks so much for your help

3. bitten123

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Feb 12 2009 9:25:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Star, any chance you could get a dog to come through and clear you? That would let you know for sure. I was told 60 days without bites was considered the "gold standard", but I'm not sure if all PCO tell their clients this or not. It is sounding very good, but given you are in an apartment, I would not unload my clothes until I had caulked up all baseboards, etc (do a search on this forum for caulking...Spidey has explained it very well as has KillerQueen). What does your PCO recommend? I finally pulled us out of plastic bags about a month ago, when we were about 75 or so days clear... Also, have you checked with your neighbors? I would...the bugs could have moved over if not all the apartments next to you were treated. If they are still be bitten, I personally would not pull out of the plastic bags yet.
    Here is hoping your clear.

4. thebedbugresource

old timer

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Feb 12 2009 9:52:29
    #

Login to Send PM

There is no 100% accurate way to know that you are bed bug free.

Canines can inspect with great accuracy (up to 95%ish) and will give you a good indication of whether they are there or not. However, they are not 100%.

CDC 3000 bed bug monitor is very accurate (no exact percentages yet) and will detect bugs even in low infestations.

Vikane fumigation of your home will produce 100% results if it is done correctly. Bed bugs and eggs will not survive.

Heat Treatment of your home will produce good results but I am still not convinced that this method provides 100% efficacy.

Failing any of the above I like to tell people that generally speaking if you can go 2-3 months with no new evidence (bites, feces, live bugs) then you have likely solved your problem.

Sincerely,

Sean
    Entomologist / Pest Professional

5. karrieg

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Feb 13 2009 3:01:51
    #

Login to Send PM

i have transfered every thing from dobble bagged clear garbage bags to vacume seal or vipper bags...will this stop them from at least entering my stuff if i happen to get them again?..is been a month and i havent noticed anything yet, the exterminator guy told my landlord that it was the leadt amount of bed bugs thayv'e sprayed for, so they arnt doing any one eleses apartments...am i possibly safe? my oldest daughter and niece are the only way i can tell if they are bitting no one eles ever had marks.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,810 posts in 50,044 topics over 155 months by 21,876 of 22,362 members. Latest: jnnafnlys01, simo7, Datnguyen