Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

How do you know if dryer is hot enough?

(5 posts)
  1. nancytd

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Sep 14 2010 12:43:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Our dryer just seems warm to me, but the other person here says it's hotter than the ones at the laundromat near us, which supposedly has warm dryers.

Also, I think a packtite would be better than a dryer but it's expensive for me right now. Excuse me if this is a dumb idea, but why not just put a heater under a rack in a tightly closed steel box?

2. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Sep 14 2010 12:52:10
    #

Login to Send PM

3. kirads09

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Sep 14 2010 13:06:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Great question! And thanks for the link spidey. I have been wondering about this a lot because my new apt building has "green" high efficiency washer and dryers. The clothes out of the dryer don't "feel" hot enough to me even after 1 1/2 hours of drying time, so I have been worried.

1) maybe I should try the thermometer test to see (hopefully put my mind at ease). Would a cooking thermometer do the trick?

2) If not, I am for sure ordering a packtite next payday anyway, and may do the dryer for 1 cycle then packtite to be sure they are truly sanitized.

4. nancytd

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Sep 14 2010 16:39:30
    #

Login to Send PM

I tested it and the thermometer only showed 120 degrees. The packtites are out of stock from all authorized sellers AFAIK until mid October.

5. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Sep 14 2010 16:48:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Not every dryer reaches the same temperature. And how much laundry you load into the dryer will also affect the temperature. So the only way to know the temperature of your dryer is to test it with an instant read thermometer. That said, once you know the base temperature of several different types of loads you can then make pretty good estimates on subsequent loads.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,413 posts in 50,189 topics over 156 months by 21,934 of 22,435 members. Latest: esedndwi, Help123, Bedbugdaydreams