Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

how do you change the sheets?

(6 posts)
  1. thirdusername

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Nov 16 2017 0:00:36
    #

Login to Send PM

How do you change the sheets?
    With a spray bottle of alcohol in hand?
    Do you spread the sheets and inspect them?

I bought a chemical spray to spray on bugs I see and my bed frame.
    The PCO told me it is only a contact killer.
    I hope natural stuff I spray does kill them on contact.

I am NOT an expert.
    My opinions are just opinions, they may NOT apply to yours or any situation.
    My advice is to always do a LOT of research.
    A lot of what I read contradicts other stuff on the Interweb.
  2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Nov 16 2017 8:38:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Ball 'em up and throw them in the dryer, no stains that way if you kill any.

3. Bedbugmom41

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Nov 16 2017 11:16:21
    #

Login to Send PM

BigDummy - 2 hours ago  » 
    Ball 'em up and throw them in the dryer, no stains that way if you kill any.

BigDummy
    Do you recommand putting the sheets in the dryer before washing them ? Would that be the "safest" way to avoid spreading the bugs ? I'm just asking because putting the sheets in the the dryer before washing them is a sure way to "bake" possible fecal and blood stains (crushed bugs) into the fabric, making it impossible to remove them afterwards. Also making future monitoring for new stains versus old stains harder, no ?

4. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Nov 16 2017 11:46:45
    #

Login to Send PM

That question wasn't asked.

5. shinydarkvoid

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Nov 16 2017 14:26:32
    #

Login to Send PM

thirdusername - 14 hours ago  » 
    How do you change the sheets?
    With a spray bottle of alcohol in hand?
    Do you spread the sheets and inspect them?
    I bought a chemical spray to spray on bugs I see and my bed frame.
    The PCO told me it is only a contact killer.
    I hope natural stuff I spray does kill them on contact.

I carefully check the sheets before removing them (you don't want to jerk or wave the fabric around.) I keep a spray bottle of rubbing alcohol with me when I change my sheets to kill any active bugs I might see. I've sprayed adult and nymph BBs with rubbing alcohol and it really is a great contact killer. There's no need to douse the sheets if you don't see any bugs though. And if you feel like you must spray, I'd pick rubbing alcohol over pesticide chemicals, especially if you're running the fabrics through your washer and dryer.

I wash my sheets in the washer in hot water and then put them in the dryer for two hours. There are a few small stains on one corner that I didn't treat with stain remover, and now they've set into the fabric (faded quite a bit though). BUT, I would rather have bedbug-free bedding and deal with a few light stains. No one is going to see them anyway but me.

Bedbugmom41 - 2 hours ago  » 
    Do you recommand putting the sheets in the dryer before washing them ? Would that be the "safest" way to avoid spreading the bugs ? I'm just asking because putting the sheets in the the dryer before washing them is a sure way to "bake" possible fecal and blood stains (crushed bugs) into the fabric, making it impossible to remove them afterwards. Also making future monitoring for new stains versus old stains harder, no ?

I agree, the thought of not washing first and then finding baked bugs in the dryer just sounds dirty haha.

In my case, when I washed my sheets with stains on them, the stains turned a faded darker color. I could tell the different between those and fresh stains. But the fabric, detergent, etc. might influence that and make your case different than mine. /shrug/

You could spray any fresh stains with a stain remover detergent, then wash how you would normally wash the sheets. Or research ways to soak the fabric to get the stains out before washing. Just cook the sheets in the dryer when they're done washing to kill any nymphs or eggs that the washer didn't get out (especially if you washed in cold water).

I'm no laundry expert haha, if someone knows better than me, or I misunderstood the question, please correct me!

BigDummy - 2 hours ago  » 
    That question wasn't asked.

Um, she literally just asked it. Thanks for no help??

6. Bedbugmom41

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Nov 16 2017 15:47:03
    #

Login to Send PM

I agree, the thought of not washing first and then finding baked bugs in the dryer just sounds dirty haha.
    In my case, when I washed my sheets with stains on them, the stains turned a faded darker color. I could tell the different between those and fresh stains. But the fabric, detergent, etc. might influence that and make your case different than mine. /shrug/
    You could spray any fresh stains with a stain remover detergent, then wash how you would normally wash the sheets. Or research ways to soak the fabric to get the stains out before washing. Just cook the sheets in the dryer when they're done washing to kill any nymphs or eggs that the washer didn't get out (especially if you washed in cold water).
    I'm no laundry expert haha, if someone knows better than me, or I misunderstood the question, please correct me!

Hi Shinydarkvoid
    I no longer have an active infestation, so I bought new white sheet sets for every bed. It makes it so much easier for monitoring. I also have mild PTSD from the infestation, so every tiny piece of lint sends me in a panic, that's why I chose to invest in new bedding. That way I don't have to worry about new versus old traces (I just worry about everything else ;))

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,649 posts in 49,518 topics over 153 months by 21,698 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982