How do I know if I have bedbugs?

(5 posts)
  1. jpmoncton

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun May 20 2012 0:00:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Have noticed several bites (2-4) per night for the past week but have found no other evidence of bedbugs. Am convinced the bites are from bedbugs after viewing dozens of photos. Is it common to see no evidence other than the bites? Bought bug-proof mattress & pillow encasers & new pillows. Washed all the bedding in hot water & dried in hot dryer. Am in the process of washing & bagging all clothing/fabrics in the bedroom. How will I know if I got the "buggers"? Should I do anything else at this point or is it just a wait & see approach? (hope not). What else can I do to stop this from progressing. Am on a fixed income & cannot afford a professional exterminator. I rent & am concerned the landlord may evict me if I disclose this problem to him. Not sure what to do next to stop this.
    Thanks for any suggestions!

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun May 20 2012 0:39:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Read the first three FAQs here:
    Http://bedbugger.com/FAQs

They answer some of your questions and offer detection options that are often quite low-cost (like passive monitors, for example).

If you live somewhere where the laws require landlords to treat for bed bugs, then you should not fear reporting that you suspect them. You need to find out the local laws. If you don't want to say where you are, private message me and I might be able to help. Local tenants organizations can often advise on your rights and how to get them enforced.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun May 20 2012 0:41:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Make sure you get a visual confirmation, however-- you need to see bed bugs, fecal stains, cast skins or eggs. The monitors can help you find evidence. If you have a sample bug, post a photo and someone can try to ID it.

4. jpmoncton

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun May 20 2012 7:59:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks! I will look at getting the monitors and read the FAQs you suggested.
    Unfortunately where I live (New Brunswick, Canada) there are no laws to protect tenants. Landlords can successfully evict you for any or no reason and I am on a monthly rental agreement (no lease) so am extremely nervous. Have talked to my neighbor so she is alert but does not have any bugs in her unit.
    Should I start using DE before I have any visual evidence of the bedbugs? Also, I have a large area rug in the affected room. How should i proceed with this? Send it out for steam cleaning immediately or should I wait until I find visual evidence of the bugs?
    Thanks!

5. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun May 20 2012 9:45:06
    #

Login to Send PM

I suspect that if there were BBs present, and based on the information you've posted, that you'd most likely find them hiding in your bed frame.

Take your time, use a good LED type flashlight and look carefully.

Hope this helps ! paul b.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,754 posts in 49,796 topics over 154 months by 21,795 of 22,260 members. Latest: insecureuser, o0liver19, Laura07