(5 posts)
  1. bugoff_1

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Jan 20 2010 14:37:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Folks,
    After 8 months of a bedbug infestation, which I later learned had originated from my next-door neighbors, I was forced by my ex-landlord to move out of my apartment at the end of my lease - last July (2009). Even after contacting 2 city building inspectors, the department of health and numerous other agencies who failed to protect my rights as a renter, he was allowed to mistreat this infestation with his own mixed concoction of bug spray, which proved to be unsuccessful in eradicating the bedbugs. During this time, there were Many other health and code violations he inflicted including landlord retaliation for which I sought legal assistance, yet shockingly no action was taken against him. The details of my efforts in self-advocating are lengthy and can be found in my earlier posts.

What I need today is some help in discerning whether or not I am finally bedbug free. Before I moved and during the time my apartment was being ‘treated’, I was also doing all of the necessary maintenance listed here as well as throwing away almost everything I owned. All of my clothes, linens and everything else possible were dry cleaned, put into large zip lock bags at the cleaners and kept sealed throughout my moving. To this day most of these same bags are still sealed because I’m still too afraid to even open them! So I’m still pretty much living out of a plastic bag, taking out only a few items at a time to wear. Even tho I had what was considered a ‘light’ infestation, I wound up throwing away all of my furniture except a desk and electronics, which I treated myself with DDT strips and my mattress which is still sealed in plastic. Most of my books are still packed in zip lock bags in the trunk of my car and the few I have out I baked according to the instructions I found on this forum.

After almost 5 months of ‘living’ in my new apt. my mattress is still wrapped in plastic on the living room floor and my bedroom is just a storage area with lots of sealed bags. The only interaction I’ve had with my clothes and everything else bagged up has been just for the few minutes it takes to pull out a shirt, towel, pants or a sheet so I’ve been very slowly integrating just a few items at a time. However, I have allowed my 2 cats to sleep both in the bedroom and with me in the living room. So far I have not seen any bedbugs, not even a nymph, (fingers crossed), nor have I found any bite marks.

With that much said, I am REALLY wanting to get new furniture yet I’m hesitant to spend that much money while wondering if it is safe enough to bring it into my new apartment. Thus, my questions:
    1. If there were/are any bedbugs in the bedroom, wouldn’t they have found my cats by now and possibly re-infested my new apartment?
    2. How do I know it is truly safe to buy new furniture?

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer me.
    ~bugoff_1

2. bugoff_1

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Jan 25 2010 4:20:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Please - any advice you can give me will help immensely. After being forced to move at the end of my lease last July, I'm still suffering from PTSD caused by this horrible situation and being abandoned from Anyone and Everyone who had the power to help me thru this.

3. ukulelejack

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jan 26 2010 8:33:52
    #

Login to Send PM

it is such a nightmare. i am only entering my third month of living in an infested building, still working towards fixing the problem with neighbors and landlords.

i think if i moved out (which i am not planning to), after 5 months in the new place i would unpack and relax. if you brought some bugs with you, a simple extermination should work. remember: you are no longer being infested by uncontrollable neighbors, so if you do have a problem, in my UNprofessional opinion, it would be easier to fix than before.

once you kill them, more won't be coming in through the walls!

good luck!

4. bugoff_1

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Jan 27 2010 22:44:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you so much for your response ukulelejack

You are right, I am no longer living in a bb infested building....WHEW! I needed a reality check and your words did just that.

Good luck to you in your own harsh battle with a bb infestation. May you and your neighbors soon be free!

5. victimized

new username: help_me

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Nov 18 2010 13:17:30
    #

Login to Send PM

This adds a whole new level of complication to my problem. I live in a row home with one neighbour on either side. The neighbour attached on the side where the problem was discovered is attached on the second floor and not the first but my bedroom is on the other side of the party wall. My other neighbour is attached top to bottom.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,846 posts in 49,561 topics over 153 months by 21,714 of 22,159 members. Latest: Guardian4, bughelpplz, defeatthem45