How do I inspect this area?

(8 posts)
  1. iamscared

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jan 3 2012 3:42:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello,

I have been inspecting my room inch by inch for the last (lost track of time) days, and I am in the last part of the entire room and it's a toughie!

It is about 4 cm gap near my headboard that goes down to the carpet, and has several cutouts for some reason that join the other suitcase compartments (I taped them shut yesterday) and gap along the perimeter (thanks to the very small bed legs). I have taped most of this gap, but I can't say for sure they are all sealed right now so I still run the risk of things escaping out while I am inspecting.

Here is a photo of the area I am concerned about / inspecting:
    * http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/1793/photozy.png
    * http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/2970/photo1pt.png

I took these photos from a weird angle so it might look close but in reality it is not. About half is covered by that wooden slat thing you can see.

Right now I am using a mop stick with double tapes to poke around but it doesn't seem useful cause it doesnt get the edges and it takes way too long to replace the tapes.

Any idea on how to inspect this area? Also under that wooden slat thing (there is one on either side of this gap).

And finally, if I can see a dermistid larvae with my LED torches at this height and angle, would I have been able to see BBs? (matter of size, colour, visibility etc.) And do they react to light like dermistid do?

2. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jan 3 2012 3:51:06
    #

Login to Send PM

WHen I'm hunting for BBs and hit them with the light for the most part they don't move. It's kinda cartoon like. Their tendancy is to remain hidden and sometimes this manifests itself as not moving.

Maybe they think they're camoflauged or well hidden.

If you have areas you can not easily reach you need to come up with practical methods to create accessibility: move the bed away from the wall, use tools to dissassemble the parts you can't see into, use a mechanic's mirror or if all else fails, make a thorough application of a suitable product into that specific area such that nothing is missed.

I gotta go to bed now, paul b. ; )

3. iamscared

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jan 3 2012 3:54:27
    #

Login to Send PM

1. I cannot move the bed, it is attached to the wall.

2. I have sorta poked the area with the mop stick and dragged it along etc. that should have made them move, right?

3. I cannot disassemble it either.

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jan 3 2012 5:13:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The reality is that given the frame of bed that you have no bedbug is going to pass on the chances to live closer to you and therefore this crack is a mute point. In fact its double mute as to date all we have seen from your images are carpet beetles which would indicate that these are the most likley source of your concern.

You need to stop focusing on bedbugs for your own health and sanity.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  5. iamscared

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jan 3 2012 5:28:12
    #

Login to Send PM

I imagined this was very close to me, since this gap is what is under the gap between my mattress head and the headboard. Can you clarify this please?

And I feel I have lost my sanity over this already. But once I am sure that I don't have it, I hope I will get better. Today is the last day of my "inspection" and this is the last part of my room that is left, hence the worry.

I will really appreciate your input in this matter. Thank you.

6. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jan 3 2012 5:32:13
    #

Login to Send PM

To you its close, to a bedbug its the other side of the neighbourhood.

I am glad you made the comment on sanity as I was about to post "for the sake of all of us please get a grip, you have brachitating urticaria from carpet beetles not bedbugs".

You are doing yourself a massive emotional damage by not dealing with issues one at a time.

Sorry this is the last advice I can and will give you.

David

7. iamscared

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jan 3 2012 6:03:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for your reply, David. I am really sorry that I am being overly paranoid.

I don't have any skin reaction (brachitating urticaria), so I don't think the carpet beetle larvae might have come in contact with me.

So far I have captured 3 of these larvae and 1 that escaped. Is it normal to find these in the bedroom? Would you recommend putting those "moth proof balls" under the bed?

Thank you.

8. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jan 3 2012 6:09:04
    #

Login to Send PM

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,905 posts in 50,059 topics over 155 months by 21,883 of 22,370 members. Latest: Mary Borges, Pleasebegone2019, aims6186