How do bed bugs leave the bed?

(4 posts)
  1. trash-aint-treasure

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Dec 20 2011 2:15:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Will the bugs, if trying to leave the bed, crawl down the legs of the bed? Do they ever jump off the side of the mattress, or from a cover that hangs over the side, but does not touch the floor? Will they drop down from inside the box spring, like they drop from the ceiling? I have vaseline around the bed legs, and the legs are in climb ups. Just purchased encasements online.

2. soretit

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Dec 20 2011 8:35:13
    #

Login to Send PM

I think thats a good question.
    Are bedbugs, and I am addressing the experts here, just as happy to drop off an object to save time or do they, by their own nature, always crawl form point A to point B.

I have seen films of them dropping but that is when there are hundreds of them jammed into one place and as a result of not having a foothold.

I know they cant jump, from the info I have got from this site, but if they have a prelediction to dropping from high places this would have to be factored into the equation of how to stay out of their reach.

Trashainttreasure is it OK if I ask this question within your thread, since your thread is what got me thinking about this?

3. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Dec 20 2011 8:52:10
    #

Login to Send PM

One of the great benefits of participating on this site are the questions of interest that arise.

While this is only an observation and NOT scientifically proven under controlled conditions, I have seen BBs "let go" from a surface and fall to a surface below.

I've observed this in heavily infested locations as well as when "wrangling" BBs for various purposes.

However, my observation is that I see relatively few BBs do this. And, despite how many times I ask them why, a sound answer has yet to surface.

Given unlimited resources, this is a topic/question tha would be interesting to study under controlled conditions.

In summary, I do see this behavior occur however, opposite the total number of BBs observed, I only see a few actually do this.

Hope this helps ! paul b.

4. trash-aint-treasure

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Dec 20 2011 21:31:25
    #

Login to Send PM

soretit - 12 hours ago  » 
    I think thats a good question.
    Are bedbugs, and I am addressing the experts here, just as happy to drop off an object to save time or do they, by their own nature, always crawl form point A to point B.
    I have seen films of them dropping but that is when there are hundreds of them jammed into one place and as a result of not having a foothold.
    I know they cant jump, from the info I have got from this site, but if they have a prelediction to dropping from high places this would have to be factored into the equation of how to stay out of their reach.
    Trashainttreasure is it OK if I ask this question within your thread, since your thread is what got me thinking about this?

Go for it

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,649 posts in 49,518 topics over 153 months by 21,698 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982