Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » How bed bugs are changing the world

How bad is the bed bug situation in Spain?

(8 posts)
  1. toledo

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Jun 16 2011 21:08:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Planning a vacation to Spain and I was wondering if it's as bad there as it is here?

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Jun 17 2011 2:13:14
    #

Login to Send PM

This map shows people logging into Bedbugger from Spain in the last twelve days:

http://www2.clustrmaps.com/counter/maps.php?url=http://bedbugger.com&clusters=yes&type=small&category=plus&map=Europe

191 people in 12 days.

We have some FAQs in Spanish, but it's a small percentage of the site's material. So considering it's not an English-speaking country, that seems like a lot of people, even though it's a small number compared with total users of this site.

I'd guess that bed bugs are a common enough problem in Spain.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Jun 17 2011 4:46:51
    #

Login to Send PM

as in Italy...

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Jun 17 2011 10:24:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, Italy too!

When I look at that map, I assume the numbers in the UK are so much higher compared with other countries in Europe based on the number of people who read English, surf the net, and read English-language websites (<--- why we have more readers in the UK than Germany or Poland). And population density is also a factor in how many dots you see. More people means more likelihood that someone is looking at a particular website for bed bug info. (Don't assume the Scottish Highlands are bed bug free.)

Compared with North America, you have the population density issue, and then have to factor in the way search engines deal with websites originating in different countries.

5. toledo

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Jun 18 2011 16:05:12
    #

Login to Send PM

The map of Spain surpised me because the third largest cluster is Alicante, but Alicante is the 14 largest city. That's where my son is staying for a month, but luckily he's staying with a family. It's a resort town, so all the visitors must be bringing them in. Thanks for the info.

6. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Jun 18 2011 16:13:03
    #

Login to Send PM

I've read online that there are big BBs problems in countries along the Way of St. James...

7. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Jun 18 2011 16:42:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

It's one of the more interesting aspects of bedbugs, the spread and development of clusters.

From my recent trip to South America I collected field data to support the theory that in areas where there is no native issue tourists do appear to be the initial spreaders. Some of the patterns connected with the Myan trail were very clear.

In short whenever you get a funnelling of people passing through a local you will get a bedbug density cluster that soon follows. One of the classics is mass sporting events where its not unusual to get a years worth of tourists in an 8 week period. I am just dismayed to report they still don't expect a years worth of bedbugs to be on of the effects.

It is why you can't go wrong with looking as you travel and although Internet search can steer you away from known bad locations only you can look and avoid.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Jun 18 2011 19:37:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, EffiCi -- bed bugs are said to be a big problem on the Way of St. James. We heard a lot about this in 2008 and 2009.. I suspect the people who run the hostels and pensions on the Camino in Spain are beginning to become experts on dealing with bed bugs.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,668 posts in 49,313 topics over 152 months by 21,611 of 22,037 members. Latest: Jaded48, ctd2289, N52B30AE