How bad is my infestation!?

(7 posts)
  1. marcomeatball

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Sep 11 2010 18:10:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Okay - in an effort to not be redundant, I've been scouring the forums all day because I'm moving from an apartment complex to a house that will have 6 people in it, the new landlord said they did a thorough check for bed bugs and roaches and they have found nothing.

My situation - moved away to grad school, parents had a friend who had a beautiful mattress, so it was a hand me down.

I move in August 1st and have no issues whatsoever until around February or March when I get continually bitten once or twice a night for a few days. Wash my sheets and see one dead bedbug before putting them in the washer/dryer. I tell the LL who comes and exterminates the whole building (I assume because signs were up) and don't have a problem for the rest of my time in the apt before I left for 2 1/2 months.

I come back about 2 weeks ago - fine for like 4/5 days and then I start seeing bites 3 going down etc etc, and everyday I continue to get bitten and bitten. Call the LL who sprays, getting bitten even worse now (He sprayed on a Saturday and I didn't get bitten for a day) I keep getting bitten, he comes back and sprays again but I still get bitten! So I get fed up and decide to move out (which I will be doing in 5 days) I bought a mattress cover to see if it helps and I haven't gotten bitten. Which is the good news.

I'm planning on throwing out ALL things. Chairs, bed, shelves dressers, drawers, computer desk..

But I have a ton of opera scores that I use constantly for my schooling and a whole bunch of important books FOR school - which I plan to check in the bath tub with the flashlight and brush. I plan on throwing out my old janky tv, and thoroughly checking all my dvds and covers. I leave the laptop on at night so I don't suspect they'd be in here because of how hot it gets.

I HAVE seen bed bugs around the edges of the floor and have seen one on my mattress itself, and some shelves on the vents that lead to the heat (Which is where I assumed they came from).

I'm planning on buying new rubbermaid plastic bins and using them to transport everything, also cleaning/dry cleaning all my clothes and drying winter coats and winter blankets as many in the dryer at a time as I can..

What else can I do? I just can't live like this - I was fine for most of the year last year except for those 2 weeks that I was getting bitten and then it was fine! But I came back and all of a sudden it's a nightmare here..

Any help would be appreciated..

2. Buggybumpers

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun May 1 2011 0:49:06
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't know what you can do about those opera scores to be on the safe side. I know how expensive they are and how hard to find some of the sheet music is. I haven't sung for some years now but I had kept quite a lot of music in a large library bag, rather poorly protected. I
    had put off donating it all to some prof at a university music department but was thinking of finally doing it about the time I was hit with the BBs. Yesterday it broke my heart to throw them out as I am planning to move, too. I couldn't risk giving the music to anyone now. I am not planning to keep my books except for a few that I can keep in a ziplock bag and some clothes and shoes. Oh, and my paintings--I don't know what to do about them yet. Some are too large for even the largest ziplock protector. I can't just throw these pictures away, even though I don't have that many. Anybody have any ideas how I can wrap them to safely store them for a year? When I get into my new apartment I am living with the minimum because the nightmare might happen all over again. I am not a quitter but I know I'm not going to win over these BBs here. Six sprayings with no results is enough and the pest control seems pretty cavalier here.

3. bbgirl

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun May 1 2011 9:13:08
    #

Login to Send PM

I saw something posted here about using cling wrap - 3 or 4 layers which is sort of self sealing to deal with larger luggage pieces. I wonder if that would work with the pictures - I was thinking of trying that - sort of stretching it so that it sticks to itself and holding the whole thing in place with packing tape. I don't know how long it would stay sealed tight though.....little worrying - could you use really large plastic bags like banana bags?

4. Buggybumpers

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun May 1 2011 12:51:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, thanks for your response. The cling wrap idea is not bad but could you please tell me what banana bags are?

5. slj29

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun May 1 2011 12:58:27
    #

Login to Send PM

There has got to be something out there. Please don't throw them away. What about those Nuvan pest strips? Or just inspecting everything very closely and meticulously?

If I have bed bugs, there is no way I can throw away all my books and records. Many people seem to take care of the problem without having to literally throw their whole lives into the garbage, right?

6. bbgirl

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun May 1 2011 13:13:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Banana bags are very large 2 mil thick plastic bags that are open ended at one end - they come in sizes up to 86 x 92 so you can use them for encasing furniture and larger items. You can get them from http://www.warpbros.com. There is still an issue with sealing them - you can try duct tape - I wouldn't just use a twist tie. Your pictures may fit into contractor's bags (available at home improvement stores) that are much larger then regular garabage bags and very heavy plastic.

7. Buggybumpers

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun May 1 2011 13:33:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks BBgirl. I will have to take a trip to the nearest home improvement store. I can see that. Slj29--I never thought I would be able to throw out my books, either. But if you are not in good health and live alone, you don't want to take any risk of this happening to you again or be bogged down with a lot of stuff if it does. Having BBs changes your priorities pretty quickly. You get unmaterialistic and not terribly nostalgic in a hurry. I take someone else's point that people with success stories don't tend to hang around [and shame on them] to advise others. But from what I have seen here there aren't any success stories without the expensive thermal method or getting rid of everything that you can't safely contain. Somebody please correct me if I am wrong.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,668 posts in 49,313 topics over 152 months by 21,611 of 22,037 members. Latest: Jaded48, ctd2289, N52B30AE