Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

How bad is it in nyc?

(12 posts)
  1. help_me

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Oct 4 2011 12:39:43
    #

Login to Send PM

I know u cant track it accurately or possibly get real numbers but when I was in ny saturday I was looking at all the huge buildings and thinking. It seems from being here as if every apartment moved into has a bug history but it makes me wonder, does everyone in nyc have them? I saw two moving trucks and my wheels turned, a carpet cleaning truck, wheels turned. would lovwe to know exact numbers other then how many calls or cases were reported, a ratio to however many units exist in nyc to how many r bug free.

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Oct 4 2011 19:58:11
    #

Login to Send PM

No one knows for sure.

A lot of people are getting bed bugs, but it's far from universal. I suspect things may even be worse in Cincinnati based on a statistic I heard the other day. That said, statistics can be very misleading.

Official reports from the city in NYC are probably grossly understated because they are compiled from tracking people who call 311 about bed bugs, which we know most people don't do. That said, anecdotally, I know a lot more people in NYC who've had bed bug scares (apparent false alarms) than who've actually had bed bugs.

Of the people I know in NYC who've had them over the last five years or so, most Seem to have had them once and got rid of them fairly quickly. And I know one person in an unfortunate housing situation -- landlord is not dealing with it, person can't move -- whose had them for years.

So even people who have had a problem, it is not something they're stuck with in most cases.

I am referring now to people I know in real life, not via this site. Though I suspect a similar pattern holds for most here.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. bedbugsuptown

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Oct 14 2011 0:34:22
    #

Login to Send PM

I lived in nyc my whole life and I'm a great-grandma albeit a young gg. (started young and my first started young!)

I'll agree with nobugs 100%. Before I had BBS I had my first scare from the apartment above me. The LL moved that family to a newly renovated unit just behind their infested apartment and proceeded to tear up the old unit-- then he made a good job of framing and rocking the unit above mine. Poly-urethane on all the wood floors; remodeled, re-tiled btrm & Kitn. He even hoisted the bath tub up (on my line all the tubs are sinking into the apartments beneath them, no kidding-- I call him in to add cement every 3 or 4 years) and took the floor right down to the rafters. Concerned, I was in the bathroom when the illegal he lowballed to come in and help stepped off the beam and ccrunch, I see the sole of his boot through the hole he made between the rafters! He rewired and cemented a new floor before laying down the tiles. The new tenant moved in and complained out on the stoop about being the highest paying renter! The poor infested family sent their toddler and baby born a year apart
    straight to China for well over one year.They're back a long time now and cute as hell. a few nites ago I asked the Mother if she knew how she got her BBs. Said her father slept in a hotel (china, ny-dunno) and put it in his suitcase and brought it to her place. I was real scared when that happened but those suckers never made it to me cuz this happened 'bout 5 years ago an the suckers can't live that long, right nobugs?

Only non-narrative I'll add re-nyc and bbs is what nobugs knows- but, busy-be that s/he be did not post. Cincinnati was mentioned as perhaps having a tougher time than ny. I would think that's because it's a poorer town. Bedbugs don't discriminate but $$$ talks. It takes money and good PCM to really make a dent in a troubled town and for now anyway New York still has some. If the global economic crisis persists long enough you guys may get to see something resembling the 1970's. The upper/mid-upper classes will again retreat to I-can't-really-say-ville. A lot of white collar workers will too. Back in the early 70's a lotta blue collars signed mortgages and bought homes in Staten Isl.(mostly brooklynites) Nassau then Suffolk Co./and welcome to Jersey.

NYC will have to stop ware-housing empty apts. in NYCHA housing. I don't have all the answers- I loved the 70's. But if the economy continues to slide...another form of 70's squalor will prevail I guess.

Maybe the few who really run this country will re-start Vietnam in someplace like Yemen and It'll snowball into I-don't-no-what. SORRY! I promised to stop the narrative and there I go again.

The point is BBs are ALWAYS a bigger problem for the truly poor. Lack of resources/living-on-the-fringe = infestations that spread opportunistically.

The thing about the 70's wasn't just affordable housing. When you rented a place you didn't ask about the pesty history of the building. Bed bugs were all but eradicated by 1960_something.

Bedbugsuptown

4. jrbtnyc

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Oct 14 2011 9:36:15
    #

Login to Send PM

bedbugsuptown - 8 hours ago  » 
    I lived in nyc my whole life and I'm a great-grandma albeit a young gg.

What age is « gg » . You don't mean 99 do you...!

Aha...you weren't saying your age were you, just that you're a gg = Great Grandma.

5. OhNoes

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Oct 14 2011 10:24:56
    #

Login to Send PM

bedbugsuptown - 9 hours ago  » 
    Cincinnati was mentioned as perhaps having a tougher time than ny. I would think that's because it's a poorer town. Bedbugs don't discriminate but $$$ talks. It takes money and good PCM to really make a dent in a troubled town and for now anyway New York still has some.

I heard it put this way.

There are two kinds of people with bedbugs. Those who can afford to get rid of them, and those that can't.

6. bedbugsuptown

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Oct 15 2011 22:03:08
    #

Login to Send PM

U got it Junior from NYC. I'm a GreatGrama.......ain't no where near 99!
    Before the Supreme Court ruled on Roe vs. Wade many people had lotsa kids--before the
    PILL became readily available....

I'm sure there were BB cases when I was a kid. Can't say that I can document about it though I expect there were a few. We just couln't BLOG about it!

You could say our behavior was kinda buggy, allowing ourselves to get knocked-up so young when there was not much in the way of remedy. The old walk of shame's not just some pretty-thing with tussled hair wobbling out in the street hailing a taxi at 6am, lol!

7. bedbugsuptown

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Oct 15 2011 22:12:05
    #

Login to Send PM

What I can document is the [/b]head lice[b] us kids suffered. And the humiliation of being 7 and having your teacher call you to the front of the room so she could part a pencil through your hair and send you home with a note to de-lice your children

8. bedbugsuptown

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Oct 15 2011 22:13:14
    #

Login to Send PM

What I can document is the head lice[u] us kids suffered. And the humiliation of being 7 and having your teacher call you to the front of the room so she could part a pencil through your hair and send you home with a note to de-lice your children

9. bedbugsuptown

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Oct 15 2011 22:14:02
    #

Login to Send PM

What I can document is the head liceus kids suffered. And the humiliation of being 7 and having your teacher call you to the front of the room so she could part a pencil through your hair and send you home with a note to de-lice your children

10. bedbugsuptown

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Oct 15 2011 22:15:11
    #

Login to Send PM

What I can document is the head lice us kids suffered. And the humiliation of being 7 and having your teacher call you to the front of the room so she could part a pencil through your hair and send you home with a note to de-lice your children

11. bedbugsuptown

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Oct 15 2011 22:16:38
    #

Login to Send PM

What I can document is the head lice us kids suffered. And the humiliation of being 7 and having your teacher call you to the front of the room so she could part a pencil through your hair and send you home with a note to de-lous your children

12. bedbugsuptown

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Oct 15 2011 22:19:26
    #

Login to Send PM

oops I did it again......(walk of shame, tecnologically speaking

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,214 posts in 50,140 topics over 155 months by 21,919 of 22,414 members. Latest: Bigworm, Cain69, Bery10