Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

how many days does this itch last?

(11 posts)
  1. maidenkatt

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Oct 16 2010 14:54:36
    #

Login to Send PM

I think I am more allergic than most. I was bitten in a theater 8 days ago and have 4 welts bigger than a quarter (each welt has 2-4 bites close together making up each giant welt) also about 4 smaller bites that didn't seem to get as swollen. 3 welts are on my side and one on my stomach, the one on my stomach the biggest and worst! They all itch so much even after 8 days! When will the itching calm down? It's so intense it keeps me awake at night. I have been taking baths with tea tree oil, applying tea tree mixed with calamine lotion, talking benedryl tablets- nothing helps, being in the tub seems to help a little while I am in the tub. Anyone else this itchy after the bites are 8 days old? This is terrible! I feel so bad for people who keep getting bitten over and over because they have them in their house. I would lose it! I am so sorry for all who have to suffer through this nightmare!

2. maidenkatt

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Oct 16 2010 15:48:42
    #

Login to Send PM

I also wanted to add that I have also been getting hives on my chest, neck and face several times a day which I am assuming is part of the allergic reactin to these bites- This intense itching is driving me insane.

3. bug-tired

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Oct 16 2010 16:32:16
    #

Login to Send PM

I apply rubbing alcohol to the fresh bites until the intense itchiness wears off and then use cortisone cream. Sometimes I have to reapply several times but the alcohol seems to eventually cut through the itchiness for me.

4. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Oct 16 2010 16:52:04
    #

Login to Send PM

here's what i did for itching.

take shower the hottest temperature you can stand.

let water hit the welts and it will sting for a second, then it will actually feel good
    get a loofah (real one) and soap it up...use the softer side first and scrub your itchy places (and your whole body of course)...then turn the loofah to the other side and scrub it it..that's the rougher side. Take it easy you can scrub as long as you like but don't tear yourself up. It will feel delicious....rinse...repeat the scrubbing...rinse well.

Clean towel and pat dry

take alcohol or witchhazel and put on the welts. it may sting

then take something like neosporin and mix it with a little benadryl cream...(i also used some shea butter) and put that onto the welts. rub it in good.

clean 100% cotton clothing...something light...
    clean 100% cotton sheets

you should feel complete relief from itching. You may have to repeat that proceedure every 5 hours or so...

Whatever you do...stop scratching because that seems to cause more scratching. If you feel you HAVE to scratch, then it's time to repeat above steps with the loofah!!

Don't scratch with fingernails...no matter how clean they look, they could still harbor germs and you can infect yourself.

P.S. i'm not a physician and if you think you might have a negative reaction to something described above, check with your doctor first.

(oy)

5. Sleepless in NYC

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Oct 16 2010 23:03:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Hmm, I heard that hot water actually increases the itching and that you should actually use cold water.

6. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Oct 17 2010 5:57:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Sleepless...

hot HOT water worked for me....

but try whatever you think will work for you. Perhaps cold water will work for you. If it does, please report back.

But the main piece of advice is that avoid scratching when the first itch comes. Once scratching starts, the itch seems to increase....horrible....
    less scratching seems to amount to less itching.

7. BBQueen

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Oct 17 2010 6:10:38
    #

Login to Send PM

It seems to me that at the beginning, the itch lasted longer, but a bite can certainly itch a week later and then some. They're itchiest when 'fresh'. I can relate to your itchiness, because I have skin that gets rashes easily, and even on exposure to dust, my skin gets itchy.

I found Benadryl liquid was the best thing for me. None of the non-drowsy tabs worked, and the Benadryl tabs didn't do it. Of course, I could only take them when I was supposed to sleep anyway.

8. maidenkatt

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Oct 17 2010 15:06:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Super hot bath seems to feel good, or using my shower sprayer on next to scalding heat but the relief is so very temporary, I then actually seem to be itchier as soon as I am away from being next to burned. I haven't been able to work out for over a week because being warm and sweaty is unbearable. I just can't believe I am on day 9 after being bitten and I am still breaking out in hives on my chest and neck - and that these bites have not calmed down. My pharmacy suggested seeing a doc and getting a steroid shot- has that helped anyone? I haven't been to a doctor because I have high deductible health insurance and am really tight on money at the moment, although I am so miserable that I am about to go in anyway and deal with the giant bill later- Today I broke out in hives AND felt nauseous, not sure what triggers the hives to come and go but the blotches come and go on my neck and face every so often- a systemic reaction from the bites I am pretty sure. No new bites, I don't believe I have bugs in my house. After reading some of the nightmare stories on here and with my level of allergic reaction I would be out of my mind if I had to keep enduring new bites. Just these handful of bites from 9 days ago have been so amazingly miserable, have made me tired, sick etc- I just don't get how such a tiny little bug can cause so much agony. Thanks for all your suggestions. benedryl hasn't helped (oral or anti itch gel) I did try a cortisone cream last night and it's worked the best so far, I was still super itchy but maybe only 1/2 as itchy, very temporary. I made the mistake of scratching like mad after I was first bitten which probably made things worse- I didn't know I was bitten though. Ughhh this sucks!

9. veronicalynne

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Oct 18 2010 11:35:34
    #

Login to Send PM

I also took very hot showers and noticed that I would end up with what looked like red bruises that would swell and then bleed (sorry for too much info)........is that where they bit? Those were the areas that were extremely itchy. Anyone else notice that or am I completely bonkers?

10. maidenkatt

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Oct 18 2010 14:08:28
    #

Login to Send PM

turns out it wasn't bed bugs! I have shingles, not sure which is worse!

11. Sleepless in NYC

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Oct 18 2010 14:33:51
    #

Login to Send PM

oooh, shingles... that used to be an old person's disease, but now alot of young professional people get it due to stress. I had it once by my eye. It burned and I had just gotten back from the country and thought it was an insect bite. my girlfriend told me to put a wet teabag on it. uh oh, would have been great if it was an insect bite, but it turned out to be shingles.

My friend who is an opthamologist ran into me about a month later and told me I was lucky that I didn't go blind cuz it was right there on the eyelid. I was lucky that was the only place it erupted (due to the teabag). I had bumps all over my head that never erupted thank god. But the nerve pain was pretty bag.

But as bad as the pain was, just having a bb scare, I'd take the shingles over and over and over again instead of bedbugs. isn't that insane? what is it about them that causes such anxiety?

the fact that they crawl on you while you're asleep?
    the overwhelmingness (is there such a word?) of the prep work?
    the fact that you can't find where they're hiding?

Yuck!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,804 posts in 50,043 topics over 155 months by 21,876 of 22,362 members. Latest: jnnafnlys01, simo7, Datnguyen