Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

How Aggressive Should We Be?

(12 posts)
  1. bedbugs1

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Nov 12 2007 10:10:34
    #

Login to Send PM

In the last month my fiancee has gotten a total of three bites, each about a week apart, and there have been none in two weeks. We've identified and killed one bedbug, but on a mattress in the living room of our apartment - where a friend used to sleep once a week. That bug was discovered three weeks ago, and we've confirmed that it's a bed bug. We covered that living room mattress with a plastic cover. And now that we received positive identification of the bed bug, we're trying to figure out what to do. Given how potentially small the infestation is, we don't know how aggressive we should be, or how we'll know we've made progress since we're not getting bitten. Should we first clean, vacuum, wash and then see what happens, or is it necessary to call pest control at this point?

2. (deleted)

Unregistered

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Nov 12 2007 11:25:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh, we're the wrong bunch to ask if you want someone to tell you it's nothing and you need not do anything more than clean. I mean, we're good people but we're hopelessly biased.

I will tell you not to panic and that a small infestation can be rapidly and efficiently controlled by swiftly taking the right steps.

Read the faqs and try to come up with a plan. It's a good thing that your fiancee reacts to the bites. That way you'll know if you still have them.

Don't delay consulting a PCO too much. Bedbugs do reproduce very quickly and a small infestation can become not-so-small in short order.

Good luck.

3. paulaw0919

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Nov 12 2007 12:49:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Personally, If I found even 1 bedbug in my home I would follow the FAQ's and get a PCO in for treatment of the whole apartment. They travel, and seeing that you had people sleeping in multiple rooms, if if the infestation is small, could be spread in multiple rooms. If you found a bedbug and it's confirmed..Treatment would be the way to go.
    Food for thought. A pregnant female lays 3-5 eggs a day on average. Those eggs take aprrox 1-2 wks to hatch. A small infestation can grow pretty quickly so to take action while it's still fairly small/spread or not is definately the way to go in my opinion.
    Nomo is right, read the FAQ's..study them and try to follow them best as possible.
    There are people here to try and answer quesitons if you have any.

4. itchyincharmcity

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Nov 12 2007 14:57:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi bedbugs1 -

I am in a similar situation. I have been bitten twice since Oct. 1, I am fairly certain it's bedbugs as both times it was the classic three-bites-in-a-row. But I have not seen a single bug in my bed, and not been bitten in the last nine days.

Because I live in a multi-unit dwelling I have decided to follow the advice I've seen here. I saved the bugs for the PCO, sent the cat to live elsewhere for a few weeks, I've begun a massive laundry and decluttering project, and the PCO is due to inspect my place on Friday. I've read enough horror stories on the forum to know that I do not want this to get any worse.

FOr me, the major problem has been anxiety. Although I am not getting bites lately (knock wood), I am very upset, can't sleep, feeling overwhelmed and scared, etc. When I satred doing laundry I got so overwrought that I didn't eat for two days. No offense to the folks here, but I decided to stay away from the forum for the weekend so I could get a grip on myself.

ETA clarification. I do NOT mean to say that the wonderful people on this forum are making me nuts. Eveyone is so helpful, kind and supportive. I just realized I was making myself nuts, obsessively reading everything and fixating and dreaming up scenarios where I becasme overrun with bedbugs. I just needed to lighten up, and stop making myself crazy.

5. nomorebugs

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Nov 12 2007 15:39:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Bedbugs1,

All of us on this forum knowns how bad these things are. You probably have an infestation somewhere albeit it may be light. The prevailing wisdom by all experts is that you need the help of a PCO with pesticides to truly get rid of bed bugs. Unless you are extremely lucky, it will probably require at least two treatments.

It would seem absurd that a little bug can cause such a menace in modern society with our technology, but they are.

6. PropstotheGast

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Nov 12 2007 16:09:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Dont forget, they arent evil genius bugs.....they seem to be kind of dumb and lazy. In badly infested apartments more often than not I find them all tucked into the folds of the bed linens. It seems that they get a little crafty when deciding where to place their eggs is where the problem comes in.

I tell my tenants that if they have a new series of bites in the morning to strip the bed into a plastic bag and then treat the frame with an alcohol or steam treatment.

7. bedbugs1

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Nov 13 2007 9:12:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the help everyone, I have called the PCO, and he's coming tomorrow. We're now in the nightmare of having to wash all our clothes - dry cleaning is going to be ridiculously expensive.

8. Kit

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Nov 14 2007 17:19:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi All,

I was wondering if people could share their thoughts on whether to take off mattress encasements for treatment or leave them on? I'm sorry if this is discussed elsewhere and I've missed it. I think we are still being bitten in bed, but can't confirm this as it could be other areas of the home at this point. I think our mattress covers are in good shape - we have taped over zippers, potential weak spots along seams, etc. - but since I can't be certain they aren't getting in/out, should the PCO take off the covers and directly treat the mattress or should he leave on the covers and treat as is? Thanks so much for any and all input.

9. paulaw0919

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Nov 14 2007 17:34:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Did the PCO treat the mattress on first treatment?
    Personally once the covers are on I believe they should never, never come off. Like maybe after two years. But now I believe a mattess and box should always be protected.
    I had my covers get TINY holes in them I taped it and then when out and bought new covers, and then slipped them right over the original. In my experience ever time the mattress and box were moved off the frame for treatment, I came home and found tiny holes in them. I had this experience with the cheap $30 ones as well as the expensive bug proof ones. In lesson, after every treatment, closely inspect the covers and have an extra set handy...just in case.

10. Kit

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Nov 14 2007 17:47:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the feedback Paula. This will be our first treatment so no, the mattress has not been treated. Just to be clear, are you saying you think it is best to not take off the covers and treat as is (covers on). Then, recover the covers with a second set? I had this idea myself, but the receptionist for the PCO thought it would be best to take the original mattress covers off. The only logic I see in this is that they are treating the entire house, give or take a room, and if there had been any trapped inside the mattress covers, wouldn't it be good to get them all out and into the poison versus risk that there is a hole in the covers and they continue to go about their wretched business? Or is that totally the wrong route? Thanks again for your help.

11. currentinsomniac

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Nov 14 2007 17:58:01
    #

Login to Send PM

I think it depends on what your PCO wants you to do, so it would be good to ask. I finally set up an appt for a PCO to come Friday and told him that our box springs were encased. He said that since he would be fogging as well as spraying on the first visit that he could just carefully pull back the tape and unzip it enough to fog inside. He said that would actually work great because it would create a tent-like effect. Our mattress (which is uncovered still) he'll just be spraying. So I guess it depends on the methods he'll be using. We have been using DE laced with pyrethrum (which has helped lessen the amount of bites) and we treated our box springs with it before encasing it. However, I feel a lot better knowing that more poison will be going into where I think they are hiding. Heaven forbid if they eventually got out and infected our place again.

12. buggeroff

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Nov 14 2007 19:52:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Kit, my PCO said no need to take it off. If there are BBs inside, well, they're inside and they're not going to hurt anybody there. The main risk is that the encasement rips, so do be careful with yours. I've found that the less you mess with it, the less chance of tearing it.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

281,557 posts in 46,824 topics over 143 months by 20,659 of 21,556 members. Latest: DoIHaveBB, Dread Bugs, gbbedbug