Housemate's boyfriend is staying over while his house is treated

(12 posts)
  1. ScrappyJo

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Wed Apr 3 2019 13:15:38
    #

Login to Send PM

My housemate has just informed me that her boyfriend is staying with us while his house is treated for bed bugs, she did not ask beforehand, I woke up and he is already in my home. The following information about the situation is all I have:

- The inspector did not find any bugs in his bedroom, but did find them in his housemate's bedroom (his whole house is still being treated though thankfully)
    - He has experienced bites
    - My housemate informed me that he heat washed the clothes he brought with him
    - However, he brought an overnight bag with him I can only assume has not been treated

I have decided to sleep at my partner's house while my housemate's boyfriend is staying in my apartment, working off the theory that if bed bugs have hitch-hiked into our apartment in his belongings they will not migrate into my bedroom if there is no food source in there (ie me).

Moving forward what should I do to monitor and prevent possible hitch-hikers from causing an infestation in my apartment. What should I tell my housemate to do?

Any advice is appreciated.

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 5 months ago
    Wed Apr 3 2019 13:29:36
    #

Login to Send PM

I would be less concerned with my own bed and more concerned over communal areas like a couch. It sounds like he's taken some steps so as not to bring them along. Use your own logic on his bag, why would bed bugs be in his bag if there were none found in his room?
    Avoiding the situation can in no way help.

3. ScrappyJo

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Wed Apr 3 2019 13:33:58
    #

Login to Send PM

BigDummy - 2 minutes ago  » 
    I would be less concerned with my own bed and more concerned over communal areas like a couch. It sounds like he's taken some steps so as not to bring them along. Use your own logic on his bag, why would bed bugs be in his bag if there were none found in his room?
    Avoiding the situation can in no way help.

I'm concerned that although the inspector didn't find any in his room (or maybe they just checked his bed, I'm not sure) the fact he still experienced bites means that they could still have been present in his room somewhere the inspector missed, I read that bedbugs set up nests around 10 ft of their food source.

4. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 5 months ago
    Thu Apr 4 2019 7:41:48
    #

Login to Send PM

You read wrong. There's a reason they're called bed bugs.
    Bites should never be used as confirming evidence, there are many reasons for skin lesions and only one cause of bed bug bites.

5. ScrappyJo

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Fri Apr 5 2019 11:30:40
    #

Login to Send PM

BigDummy - 1 day ago  » 
    You read wrong. There's a reason they're called bed bugs.
    Bites should never be used as confirming evidence, there are many reasons for skin lesions and only one cause of bed bug bites.

Multiple information sources state that bed bugs don't necessarily set up nests inside the bed, they can also be found in crevices, electrical outlets, other furniture etc. The bed bugs could be present in his room in an area the inspector missed. His other housemate's room was found to have bed bugs so it's safe to conclude that his bites are from bed bugs, he told me he has experienced bed bugs when he was younger so he is already aware how they present on his skin. With this in mind, I still feel it's valid to be concerned that there is a chance he had bed bugs in his room and when he removed items from his room and brought them to my apartment while his place was being treated (an action that a staggering amount of sources and professionals advise against) he could have transported bugs with him. A large amount of sources state that the most common ways bed bugs travel between homes is through people's luggage and clothing.
    Thank you for taking the time to respond to my question but I'm looking for advice on what I should do to monitor and prevent possible hitch-hikers from causing an infestation in my apartment and what I should tell my housemate to do.

6. Iwantmylifeback

Posted 5 months ago
    Fri Apr 5 2019 12:48:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi ..in that point you wouldn’t know ,it’s hard to spot them (a small nymphs)but if I were you I would deep vacuum entire place including shoes !!!!. And keep the dirty laundry in the ziplock (especially used socks)BB are very attracted to human odor,sweat and oil .Good luck to you !!!!

7. ScrappyJo

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Fri Apr 5 2019 13:48:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Iwantmylifeback - 55 minutes ago  » 
    Hi ..in that point you wouldn’t know ,it’s hard to spot them (a small nymphs)but if I were you I would deep vacuum entire place including shoes !!!!. And keep the dirty laundry in the ziplock (especially used socks)BB are very attracted to human odor,sweat and oil .Good luck to you !!!!

Thanks. I have been sleeping elsewhere for the past 3 nights so as to not lure any bugs into my room with my presence. I am also going to sprinkle a barrier of diatomaceous earth around the perimeter of my room, because I do have to go back and sleep there soon. I have been keeping a pair of flip-flops outside my bedroom door to slip into when I go to use the kitchen or bathroom and then remove before stepping back into my room, I guess I'll just keep this up for the foreseeable future until there is a clear sign, or enough time has passed that will reveal whether we do or don't have them.

8. SalsaVince

Posted 5 months ago
    Fri Apr 5 2019 15:56:20
    #

Login to Send PM

That's pretty uncool of your roommate to make that decision without talking it over with you but here you are. I can understand why you would be nervous and there is a legitimate risk but it's good if he took measures to reduce that risk like heating his clothes.

If you're trying to isolate your bed from the bugs, you would be better off using climb ups interceptor traps on the feet of your bed if your bed design permits that. Unfortunately, people have tried to create barriers as you plan on doing with dusts and have not been successful. Even climb ups are not full proof but will at least help you monitor activity in your room so you know if they're there. Passive monitors would be another option. Although bed bugs can be in other areas (10 feet away as you've read), they are 9 times out of 10 going to setup shop right by their food which means you would find them on or near your bed (head side preferably) and on chairs or couches where someone spends a lot of time resting. Monitoring is your best option. You don't have to make yourself a prisoner in your room behind a wall of dust. Hope your monitors stay clear.

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles."
    Not an expert. Just a survivor who's still learning.
    Vince
  9. loubugs

old timer

Posted 5 months ago
    Fri Apr 5 2019 16:13:26
    #

Login to Send PM

You can try Fibertrap. A monitor device: a method of entrapping bed bugs and also combined use of pheromone lure. I worked on the early design and tested the fine fibers used to entrap bed bugs. There's no glue. It reminded me of cribellate spider silk.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  10. astrogirl

Posted 5 months ago
    Fri Apr 5 2019 17:51:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Lou. Do you know where we can order this? It seems the website only caters to large orders. Thanks!

11. Proudmommyto3rottenboys

Posted 5 months ago
    Fri Apr 5 2019 18:05:49
    #

Login to Send PM

ScrappyJo go on Amazon and get you some Crossfire Spray...That stuff is Awesome for bedbugs and making sure the problem is gone.

12. Iwantmylifeback

Posted 5 months ago
    Sat Apr 6 2019 10:59:57
    #

Login to Send PM

I would love to buy it !!!!!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,657 posts in 49,519 topics over 153 months by 21,698 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982