Hotel Bug

(3 posts)
  1. zach_s

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Nov 12 2010 17:52:22
    #

Login to Send PM

After staying two nights in a bed and breakfast in Montreal, I woke up to see a bed bug crawling on my blanket. I have no bites as far as I can tell, and washed and dried all my bag and my clothes at high heat, except for a couple of sweaters and my wool jacket--the sweaters are in a garbage bag; the jacket I have to keep wearing. The people at the bed and breakfast called the exterminator immediately--they said he already comes twice a month as a preventative measure--who came and cleaned the room, though he said he didn't find any other bugs (regardless, I changed hotels). How likely is it that I'll bring one of these critters back to New York with me? What precautions should I take when I get home tomorrow? I REALLY don't want to infest my apartment. Thanks!

2. so unsettling

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Nov 12 2010 18:12:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Are you sure it was a bed bug? Did the people who inspected at the hotel get a look at it?

I would get some 91% rubbing alcohol or Murphy's oil and go over every part of your luggage before you get home. Then, wrapped it up well in some kind of secure bag when you get home--maybe trash bags ok for now, but make sure there are no openings. Then I would wash and dry the clothes you already laundered again, and also put them in bags for a while. Get the woolens (if the sweaters are wool) and your jacket to the dry cleaner. You might then want to invest in some of the monitoring devices you can find at USbedbugs to watch things for a while. Also your shoes--wash and dry them if you can.

Of course, this is all on the assumption that it WAS a bed bug. It may not have been, but better to be safe than sorry, and since you probably had a limited load with you at the hotel, this should not be too overwhelming. Just keep what you had with you isolated from your apartment. Good luck. I hope you don't have them.

3. zach_s

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Nov 12 2010 18:17:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks---I'll do all those things tomorrow. It was definitely a bed bug--I recognized it from all the giant pictures on the subway, the folks at the hotel saw it too (they were very freaked out), and they said the exterminator verified it, too. So, fingers crossed for me and them it was a lonely little pest.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,734 posts in 48,881 topics over 151 months by 21,459 of 21,861 members. Latest: NHbugs, nervousbackpacker, SimpleObserver