Hot Shot Bed Bug Fogger

(35 posts)
  1. LowerBaltimore

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Mar 11 2009 21:47:22
    #

Login to Send PM

I have heard it said that foggers don't work. I have heard it said they will only make the problem worse. Imagine my surprise when at Home Depot, I came across Hot Shot Brand "Bed Bug and Flea Fogger."

It seems like this is a fairly new product, and I can't seem to find reviews for it. I am moving in two months and desperate to eliminate these bugs, but I can't take a risk at spreading them around.

I'm going nuts. I called every exterminator I could find, and there's not a one who will treat a moving truck. I've been checking dozens of websites (especially this one!) to find products to kill the parasites, but every product has reviews claiming there was no effect. Our problem has become much more noticeable, much more obvious since our first "treatment" by the Property Manager's PCO two weeks ago, and we cannot seem to get scheduled for the next treatment.

I want to take matters into my own hand, before the only solution becomes throwing it all away and weeping for a few days. I CANNOT take these bugs with me when I move; I haven't slept more than two straight hours in weeks.

I am thinking of buying Drione Dust, but it has some very serious warnings. It just seems like nothing but the most toxic products will work. My roommates do not want anything harsh around the cat, but they have stopped sleeping in their bed (the source) and have taken no real action to get things done. I'll try anything.

I'll take any help I can get, and I will be grateful for it.

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Mar 12 2009 0:16:06
    #

Login to Send PM

LowerBaltimore - 2 hours ago  » 
    I'm going nuts. I called every exterminator I could find, and there's not a one who will treat a moving truck.

There are skilled PCOs in Baltimore I am sure.

As far as treating a truck -- when people treat their stuff in a moving truck it's usually NOT a spray but fumigation with Vikane TM gas (sulfuryl fluoride). Different people do this, and you might find someone who treats with Vikane if you ask other PCOs. Or perhaps here.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. LowerBaltimore

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Mar 12 2009 6:43:40
    #

Login to Send PM

I've read about the Vikane gas treatment. I would absolutely pay for it, but I can't find an exterminator in Maryland who will do this to a truck.

4. bedbugdude

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Mar 12 2009 7:11:13
    #

Login to Send PM

LowerBaltimore - 25 minutes ago  » 
    I've read about the Vikane gas treatment. I would absolutely pay for it, but I can't find an exterminator in Maryland who will do this to a truck.

Don't they have their own truck? Usually services pull up in their own truck and Vicane or heat treat all your stuff. Then you could just put the "cleared" items in your truck and be on your way. You shouldn't be worried about getting the truck treated. You should be worrying about your personal item your going to transport to your new place.

5. hoo2677

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Mar 12 2009 9:34:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Have any of you PCO's heard anything about the Nuvan strip? Can it be used in vehicles?

6. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Mar 12 2009 10:26:57
    #

Login to Send PM

See the MSDS sheet and read the label.

http://www.american-vanguard.com/media/pdf/products/msds/nuvan_pro_strips.pdf

Nuvan strips are DDVP which is the same as the Hot Shot strips. Odds are the label is the same or damn close and that means not for use where people are present for more than 4 hours a day.

Don't even think about the car because the strips are for very large spaces. The Hot Shot are for up to 1900 cubic feet and a car interior isn't even close to that so it would be far too concentrated.

Jim

7. LowerBaltimore

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Mar 12 2009 14:25:51
    #

Login to Send PM

The thing is, I want to put my items IN the truck, and treat them there before moving. I am not concerned with the truck itself, so much as having a controlled environment.

8. LowerBaltimore

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Mar 12 2009 14:27:53
    #

Login to Send PM

I live right between Baltimore and DC, along the I95 corridor. I have called Orkin, Terminex, and a few smaller places like Southern Pest Control. The word I've gotten is that this type of service simply is not available in this state. If anyone out there knows different, please let me know!

9. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Mar 12 2009 14:35:18
    #

Login to Send PM

What about thermal? Never heard of it done to a truck but either fumigation and thermal done properly are the one shot, BB nuke and pave.

Jim

10. buggardnyc

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Mar 12 2009 15:26:17
    #

Login to Send PM

doesn't bedbug&beyond offer this service??? Maybe they are in your area?

11. BugBoy911

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Mar 12 2009 15:26:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Why couldn't you do a very thorough ULV Treatment!? If fumigation is not available, then a good bedbug treatment with residuals and flushing techniques would be more than enough to kill and flush out any bedbugs within a truck. I disagree that you should "only," or "most only use," fumigation. Although it would be easier and possibly more thorough, I still feel with my extensive knowledge and use of pesticides I could do just as well as fumigation. When I take my time and have enough time to focus on a task as this results will be achieved relatively quickly. Flushing and ULV are two wonderful techniques that a Applicator could use to throughly rid a truck of the pests we all love I can't believe they didn't offer this for its just as effective as fumigation in most situations if used correctly. ULV machienes are wonderful tools and with proper technique and pesticide can wreak havoc on the buggers. Combining Gentrol would work like fumigation as it goes deep into cracks and crevices and leaves a residual/hormone. I've read numerous new reports that Gentrol does in fact work for bedbugs with pictures to prove it, so I was misguided by an entomologist in the past. ULV is different than your basic total release fogging can for you have very good control and ability to fog the smallest crevice with percise percision.

12. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Mar 12 2009 18:50:10
    #

Login to Send PM

LowerBaltimore - 4 hours ago  » 
    I live right between Baltimore and DC, along the I95 corridor. I have called Orkin, Terminex, and a few smaller places like Southern Pest Control. The word I've gotten is that this type of service simply is not available in this state. If anyone out there knows different, please let me know!

Call Bed bugs and Beyond (their website is googleable) and ask them who does it in your area. I hope they'd tell you.

A firm in NJ is Western (they also could probably tell you the nearest provider).

Dow chemical owns Vikane and they should be able to tell you who does it, worth a try.

Thermal heating a truck would be awesome, but no one seems to be pushing this as a service. You could ask local thermal providers if they can do it. Therma Pure has a website (google it and start there?)

13. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Mar 13 2009 7:45:57
    #

Login to Send PM

While you can fumigate rail cars in transit you can not fumigate a truck in transit due to it's proximity to others.

14. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Mar 28 2009 23:05:37
    #

Login to Send PM

I have heard it said that foggers don't work. I have heard it said they will only make the problem worse. Imagine my surprise when at Home Depot, I came across Hot Shot Brand "Bed Bug and Flea Fogger."

It seems like this is a fairly new product...

If you've been on the forum long enough, you've no doubt heard the warnings about "bombs", or foggers. So, I'm browsing the 23rd Street Home Depot (I habitually scan the bug section, just to get a sense of what's on the mass market) and to my surprise, saw the foggers you mentioned. (No, I'm not about to use them, chill.) Pyrethrin, Piperonyl Butoxide, . Flammability warnings.

WTF is Hot Shot up to? Have they developed a "breakthrough" fogger that works for BBs? Or, are they just going to sell some WMDs to desperate, gullible people? I thought that insecticides are subject to rigorous reviews before being "labeled".

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  15. Tired-of -BBs

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat May 16 2009 16:13:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Yeah, my landlady got some "Hot Shot Bed Bug Fogger", and we fogged our apt, and I don't think it worked!! As a matter of fact, it may have made the situation worse!! This is very cheap stuff, and any landlord/landlady using it, are just trying to get out of their duty of exterminating and eliminating the pest problem!! I live in Cincinnati, and bed bugs have been deemed a "vermin", and under law they are the landowner's responsibilty, and a lot of them are scambling to try cheap ways to get rid of them!

16. Bedbugs_in _Boca

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun May 17 2009 1:08:12
    #

Login to Send PM

I tried Hot Shot in my bedroom.I used all 3 cans over a few weeks.Threw out my bed ,it was old and had some tears.Thank God I have not seen any,at first a few snuck out and I killled them.These bugs drove me crazy,I am still on the couch.I don't know if some slut brought them over or some cats out front my mother had been feeding or my dog.WTF I think this stuff really works.Exterminator wanted $250.00 to come 2 times....

17. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun May 17 2009 1:32:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Bedbugs_in _Boca - 23 minutes ago  » 
    I tried Hot Shot in my bedroom.I used all 3 cans over a few weeks.Threw out my bed ,it was old and had some tears.Thank God I have not seen any,at first a few snuck out and I killled them.These bugs drove me crazy,I am still on the couch.I don't know if some slut brought them over or some cats out front my mother had been feeding or my dog.WTF I think this stuff really works.Exterminator wanted $250.00 to come 2 times....

Hi BedBugs in Boca,

Do you want to also tell us how long you had bed bugs, whether you had seen any, and how long ago it was when you used the fogger?

18. cjktor

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Jan 8 2010 0:33:26
    #

Login to Send PM

As a landlord in Cols. OH, I deal with insects of all kinds. Recently, I converted 2 units into housing for individuals moving from an area homeless shelter under a voucher/sponsorship program. Bedbugs are a problem at this and other area shelters and thus they have moved into my units along with the tenants. I have found the following to be pretty effective at controlling (I won't say eradicating until at least a year has passed)

I treat all rooms vacated by the shelter clients with the Hot Shot bedbug fogger, 1 can per room after a room is vacated and before a new tenant arrives. I treat the baseboards and all areas in the rooms with Cyonara 9.7 on a bi-monthly basis.(I also use this for roach control with mixed success in all my units) I use DeltaDust in and around any electrical outlets/switches on a bi-monthly basis. I have also treated the bedframes and box springs with DeltaDust in rooms that are furnished. Mattresses are treated with EcoPCO DX dust. I try to keep plastic covers on the mattresses but the tenants remove them. In rooms that are not furnished, the shelter clients are often supplied with furniture from a local furniture bank program. While I have not found evidence of infestation-yet-on any of these items, I still treat them with the dust compounds as described above.

One of my conventional tenants works at a local hospital and she recently found that she had a rather serious infestation. She did not know what they were and even after she did, she was ashamed to ask me for help with the problem. I followed the same treatment regimen, though we threw out her mattresses and a lot of misc junk from her bedroom, and she has not seen any activity for nearly 2 months. Oddly, she has seen 2 dead bedbugs in the bathroom. Both were dried and emaciated.

The Hot Shot bedbug foggers do contain "Nylar" which is labeled as an IGR for fleas. I suspect that it may also work for bedbugs though there is no documentation for this. Its effectiveness may also be dependent upon whether our local bedbug strain here in Columbus is less resistant to this IGR. I did find that the Cyonara/DeltaDust/Eco dust regimen was less effective than the same regimen with the Hot Shot bedbug fogger added. I have not tried the fogger by itself so I have no evidence to support its effectiveness alone. I suspect that the degree of control i have experienced is due to the combination of substances and to repetition, repetition, repetition.

19. hathead

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Jan 8 2010 8:18:58
    #

Login to Send PM

the first two months we thought we had fleas, although someone mentioned in passing, are you sure you don't have bedbugs...(i had never heard of anyone having bedbugs!)
    so we went out to buy a flea fogger, and i thought great, i'll buy this one (Bed Bug and Flea Fogger), and in case it is bedbugs, it will kill them too!

Needless to say, it did not take care of the problem and probably was the main factor which drove the bedbugs into the walls.

bad bad news
    don't use this stuff! it also made me really sick upon reentering the house (and we followed all the directions)

20. LavenderLove05

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun May 2 2010 19:45:41
    #

Login to Send PM

But what if you use this stuff to treat a budget truck with your stuff in it? I am moving in 3 weeks. I have found a few bedbugs in my home but the exterminator was unable to find an infestation. So I guess I am wondering if this would work in a budget truck for the just in case scenario that one or two bed bugs are in my stuff? I have only had like 2 or 3 suspicious marks on my body in the past like 9 months that may or may not have been a bedbug bite. My bed is encased and has no signs of a bedbug infestation on the actual mattress...
    I think I may try this stuff because it's a small truck with all my stuff in it. I will just open up all the boxes and clear out the packing material seal it all in garbage bags throw it out in the dump.

Where would the bedbugs run off to? They can't run up the walls to a neighbor because it's an isolated truck. Right? Hmm although they can leave the truck and spread into the neighborhood which that wouldn't be good because I am moving from NY to FL and the neighborhood in FL is bedbug free thus far (my family has lived there for 20-something years). I wouldn't want to bring bedbugs there.....Crap...Maybe it's not such a good idea....

21. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun May 2 2010 21:25:38
    #

Login to Send PM

> Where would the bedbugs run off to?

Deeper into your stuff, maybe.

Page 1, "Strategies that do not work"
    http://www.nysipm.cornell.edu/publications/bb_guidelines/files/bb_guidelines_nyc2.pdf

The use of “bug bombs” or total release foggers is not advised. These devices release
    insecticide in small droplets that land on exposed surfaces and do not penetrate the cracks
    and crevices where bed bugs hide. This results in increased pesticide exposure to the resident
    and poor control of these pests. This has been linked to pesticide resistance and suspected
    repellency to bed bugs, causing them to spread.

Cornell IPM: Guidelines for Prevention and Management of Bed Bugs in Shelters and Group Living Facilities
    http://www.nysipm.cornell.edu/publications/bb_guidelines/

22. LavenderLove05

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun May 2 2010 21:31:53
    #

Login to Send PM

cilecto - 4 minutes ago  » 
    > Where would the bedbugs run off to?
    Deeper into your stuff, maybe.
    Page 1, "Strategies that do not work"
    http://www.nysipm.cornell.edu/publications/bb_guidelines/files/bb_guidelines_nyc2.pdf
    Cornell IPM: Guidelines for Prevention and Management of Bed Bugs in Shelters and Group Living Facilities
    http://www.nysipm.cornell.edu/publications/bb_guidelines/

But wouldn't the fumes penetrate all my stuff? I would seriously do 2 bombers at once in a 10 foot truck that doesn't have any furniture but a futon frame in it (the mattress itself is uncased)..and the clothing has all been washed and dried and sealed in plastic bags so no need to do that stuff. It would really just be books and electronics and I would spread them out so there is space for the fumes to get into everything.

23. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun May 2 2010 21:52:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Not necessarily. And you don't want that stuff in your electronics.

24. LavenderLove05

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun May 2 2010 22:10:54
    #

Login to Send PM

cilecto - 17 minutes ago  » 
    Not necessarily. And you don't want that stuff in your electronics.

Ive already assumed that if I did have them they were already in my electronics. That isn't always the case?

25. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon May 3 2010 4:41:07
    #

Login to Send PM

I mean the insecticides.

26. baltimore_paranoid

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Nov 14 2010 9:50:47
    #

Login to Send PM

hi,

i spent all week surfing (read: obsessing) over bedbugger.com -- by the way, what an excellent resource, huge thanks to whoever runs this site -- after having a scare (having returned from traveling in Florida/Disney for a week, and being home for a week, woke up this past Monday w/ blood on pillow and sheets, reported to co-worker and who is also an entomologist and bed bug expert, and she suggested i do pretty much everything i've been reading on these forums). suffice to say, you are all bed bug experts now. .. my co-worker's husband is also my friend and collaborator, and of course he's also an entomologist and bed bug expert at Johns Hopkins, so i was getting expert advice on what to do and what not to do. anyway, i dried all my clothes, etc, took room apart, and didn't find anything. contacted landlord, who sent their crummy PCO who did a once-over on my bed/frame. for peace of mind, i hired a bed bug dog, who cleared my apartment. long story short, i'm posting to this particular thread because i was very nervous during the week, reading about how nobody in the DC area does vikane treatment on u-hauls (i'm moving in a month and i figured that would be the do-all/end-all, in case i indeed had an infestation). that said, i went with Connor's Pest (headquartered in Alexandria, VA, i believe), after reading several recommendations by posters on this site. they were awesome -- they sent an actual entomologist handler who really knew his stuff. the dog was awesome too (NESDCA certified, as well). so anyway, if anyone is nervous/anxious in the Baltimore area, i highly recommend going w/ these people. they have 2 shipping containers in Springfield, VA (according to the handler) and they do Vikane gas treatment. anyway, just my shameless plug for this company. heh. if this isn't the proper place for this post, i'll gladly move it. it's just that this thread was the one that i kept coming back to during my week-long obsession.

27. Jennoco

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Mar 29 2011 20:41:04
    #

Login to Send PM

I am planning on taking all my belonging that I want to keep to a storage locker, treating the storage locker first and putting the zip locked items in storage locker. Now I am thinking I should pretreat the truck first too. I don't want to contaminate the locker. These lockers get to be over 120 degrees by July and then I will bring back the stuff I couldn't part with, photos etc. I am convinced there is no one, no PCO in this little city who knows what they are doing. The one with the only review I could find recomended that we possibly fog the house after he treats the one room, with this new Pine based fogger he said just came out is all the talk. Maybe plain old Orkin will be better, reviews about how they operate here or not. Wondering what to tell my neighbors to do if the exterminators around here aren't helpful.

28. Jennoco

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Mar 29 2011 21:58:56
    #

Login to Send PM

I am wondering if this is the Pine based fogger the exterminator said is all the new talk this month....Sounds like a newish enough product.

29. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Mar 29 2011 22:15:55
    #

Login to Send PM

This guide advises against the use of foggers three times. Our site's FAQ does, as well. Foggers apparently cannot penetrate where all BB hide and can drive BB deeper into your stuff or into adjoining units. You might be confusing the "pine" fogger with a cedar oil fog and the jury is out on that, too.

30. Jennoco

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Mar 30 2011 14:18:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Right, I knew the verdict on the foggers was a big no, but this guy made it sound like they just discovered the effectiveness of this "Pine" fogger like in the last month. Since I hadn't seen any recent discussion of it here I was highly suspicious, if not a little hopeful that "Pine " essential oils somehow in fogger form would be an amazing way to treat the problem. Cedar makes more sense from every thing else I already know as well, but then stuff makes you wonder. I am deciding not to veer from FAQs guide with out major agreement on any new information. Thank you for answering curiousity and the temptation of misplaced hope.

31. asgh129

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Nov 14 2011 15:58:25
    #

Login to Send PM

It works!!
    So I got bedbugs in my house. The horror! I was moving to another town and did not want to carry bedbugs in the new house. So I tried this fogging the house 3-4 times earlier. It did not work.
    Finally I found a way of making it work. This is what I did. I got 6 HOTSHOT foggers from grocery store, and one spray. I also got a bottle of isopropyl alcohol from pharmacy store. Then I cleaned the entire house. First, heart-dried all the clothes. ALL of them. Right after from the drier - i put them in trash bags and sealed. Then I moved most of the clothes, bags, small items, boxes etc in to my car. Whatever I wanted to be fumigated - furniture, luggage bags, bed, mattresses - I uncovered / opened and kept in room / hall. I covered kitchen utensils in paper / plastic. In short, I did not put any random stuff in the house that was just lying around. Then I turned off AC vent, unplugged the electronics. I put 2 bombs in bedroom, 3-4 in hall, 1 in the hallway. After 2-3 hours, I came home, opened the windows and then sprayed all corners with the HOTSHOT spray. It smells pretty strong, So I again left the house. After that, I sprayed the furniture with isopropyl alcohol - (it only kills bedbugs if sprayed directly on them), sealed the cracks with a duct tape. Its been 1.5 months since then and still haven't seen bedbugs in the house. I spray the house with hotshot spray once in a while.

32. bedbugman

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Nov 14 2011 16:45:38
    #

Login to Send PM

This post was brought to you by ......... :)

33. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Nov 14 2011 17:17:17
    #

Login to Send PM

My question would be how do you know it was the hotshots and not the other sensible things that you did?

Please don't try this at home, I see far too many muppets who do this and give their adjoining neighbours bedbugs, the record is held by one neighbourhood who dispersed them through all 48 adjoining apartments.

David

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  34. blargg

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Nov 14 2011 19:38:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Is there anything we can do to get this product off the market?... or at least get the word "bedbug" off the can...

35. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Nov 14 2011 22:38:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Foggers and bug bombs are not a good method for treating bed bugs, even if labeled for this purpose.

We have been told repeatedly by experts that this is so, that they may spread bed bugs and make them harder to treat, and will not eliminate your bed bug problems. I can not recall encountering a single entomologist who recommends this method. I have encountered many who recommend against it.

I am closing this thread. There's enough explanation above and elsewhere on the site about why this is a bad idea and keeping the thread active simply draws more attention to a bad idea.

RSS feed for this topic

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

294,743 posts in 49,539 topics over 153 months by 21,702 of 22,146 members. Latest: HelpMe342, tristramshandy123, germanhippie