Hopefully a success story

(2 posts)
  1. bbinbk

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Jan 19 2016 18:28:17
    #

Login to Send PM

I wanted to come back and post my (hopeful!) success story since I felt so discouraged during my own bb episode and was clamoring for other's success stories. Picked them up on a roadtrip with my friend, and we both discovered them in our apartments at the end of the summer, 2015. She found hers about a month before I did, bagged and washed all clothes, got three chemical treatments, put DE down and has not had a problem since. (She hasn't posted anything on the forums, but I thought I'd mention it because many success stories don't make it to this forum, I assume.)

My infestation was confined to my bedroom, although I was convinced they were everywhere in the beginning. As my formerly-infested friend told me mid-freak out: "This will be a huge pain in the ass and inconvenience, but remember it's not the end of the world." I tried to remind myself of that on the really bad days, and also remind myself that I'm stronger and smarter than these idiot bugs. Luckily I have a small one-bedroom and a landlord who called the PCO right away. I bagged and dried all clothes, had three chemical treatments over a four week period, and put down DE and sticky traps for monitoring. I vacuumed, a lot, and went through about 282857 vacuum bags.

After about a month of no signs, some unfed and previously fed nymphs (with small blood spots in their gut) started appearing in the sticky traps -- about 4 of them. I vacuumed again, put down new DE, and called my exterminator. (I got his cell number on his first visit so if I ever needed to follow up I could go directly through him, not my landlord.) I inspected everything and found some tears in my box spring encasement. Word of advice if you're going the encasement route: invest in good ones, NOT the crappy vinyl ones you will likely have to replace as the bed and frame get moved around during treatments and inspections. Also, I made some makeshift paper tower-and-duct tape covers for areas on my metal bedframe that caused the vinyl cover to tear.

The PCO agreed to do a fourth spray after the nymph discovery. I did not rewash my clothing (which was still mostly in bags and plastic bins anyway), but all the bedding went back in the dryer. It's been almost two months since then and no signs of anything, so I am crossing my fingers. I'd also like to say that I didn't bring bed bugs into any friends or family's homes, despite frequent visits (and a flight to my parents) during treatment. I didn't meticulously inspect each piece of clothing I put on, just gave it a good shake after taking it out of the bags and plastic bins. I put all the clothes back in my closet about one month after the fourth treatment.

This forum is so amazingly helpful, but try not to get too lost/freaked reading about horror stories... I know I did. Like my friend said, this was hard, stressful and insanely inconvenient, but I lived to tell the tale and you will too. Good luck

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Jan 20 2016 1:37:52
    #

Login to Send PM

bbinbk - 7 hours ago  » 

This forum is so amazingly helpful, but try not to get too lost/freaked reading about horror stories... I know I did. Like my friend said, this was hard, stressful and insanely inconvenient, but I lived to tell the tale and you will too. Good luck

Thanks so much for sharing your success story.

I am sure it will help many people and I hope you're done with bed bugs for good!

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,330 posts in 50,174 topics over 155 months by 21,930 of 22,427 members. Latest: nomorecreepycrawlies, buggerboo, Ctired14