Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

Hong Kong to Boston Bed Bug Transfer

(3 posts)
  1. EvBugs

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Mar 13 2019 21:20:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Bear with me, this may be long.

Last week I was staying at an airbnb in Hong Kong and got attacked by bed bugs, found live ones, and shells. My bites progressed from barely a mark to red and bulbous over a period of 3 daysish. I steamed and vacuumed by backpack, bagged everything, and washed/dried my clothes. At this point, I am wearing a t shirt and jeans which I have inspected thoroughly multiple times, 0 love bugs and I can't imagine any eggs (these are unwashed though) I arrived at Logan Airport where my father met me with a trash bag of clean clothes I went to the bathroom while he bagged my stuff and undressed completely, putting the dirty clothes in a 2 mil trash bag. I wiped down my entire body with disinfectant wipes and then out on the new clothes. The only stuff from the trip that I have brought home with me is my phone, it's charger, my glasses, my keys, and my credit cards. Even the clean clothes I wore home ai immediately changed out of, showered, and dried on HOT and triple bagged. I also vacuumed and cleaned the entire apartment in case of eggs. All of these items were inspected thoroughly for live bugs (during my flight, before I left the airport), and soaped down to get rid of eggs (there was possibly one egg in my phone speaker, which I took out and washed down my sink. This was on Monday. THE ISSUE. Yesterday evening I noticed a new set of bites in my chest hair. I moved out of the buggy hotel on Saturday morning and was staying with all my stuff till flying home Sunday night. What is more likely, an egg somehow making it home with me given it was inspected and checked and I only brought five items home (I've also had the holes on my phone taped up just in case) or that I was bitten on Sunday before my flight and it's just a 2 day delayed reaction.

I've heard horror stories so I'm not sure. I just received a bedframe (keeping it in the box in my hallway) and I will wash all my bedding, install a bedframe, and wrapped the mattress and box springs in the bed bug bed bags.

What are the odds I have bedbugs?

2. EvBugs

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Mar 13 2019 21:22:24
    #

Login to Send PM

At this point I was wearing**

3. acs80

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Mar 13 2019 23:21:39
    #

Login to Send PM

It's so hard to tell, but I can share that when I had bed bugs - and really, when I'm bitten by any insect - I've often experienced a delayed reaction of one or even two days. I'm so sorry that you're going through this and dealing with the crazy making "what if?" scenarios. I'd say that if you make it for a few weeks without additional bites you're in the clear, but I know how hard it is to make it through those weeks when you're watching and waiting, and examining/interpreting every blemish or bump on your body as something possibly BB related. Stay strong!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

288,811 posts in 48,204 topics over 149 months by 21,240 of 21,596 members. Latest: ltito, js2337a, Travelchecking