(6 posts)
  1. cc424

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Oct 9 2016 12:50:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey All,

Short Story: How do I make interceptors for bed bugs out of bed risers? My bed is a mattress and box spring on a metal bed frame (no wood at all) that sits on plastic bed risers. I'd rather not buy something commercial as I have no extra money right now, and I have a feeling bed risers could be used effectively I'm just having trouble brainstorming a way.

I want to know if I have bed bugs and if so, around how many. I know traps won't solve a problem but they should give me that info, right?

Long Story: I posted on here before but lost my login info. That was a long post about how I stayed long-term at a friend's house who definitely had bed bugs (PCO confirmed), and how I was terrified of bringing them into my own home. I planned on following a whole bunch of procedures, but I got super lazy and did almost none of them.

I stayed in the infested place in early August. It's now early October, and I had absolutely no worries these past couple of months, until I noticed some bumps the past few days on my face and my shoulders. At first I thought they were acne, but on second thought that would be unusual for me (although not unheard of,) so now I'm contemplating them being bed bug bites. I reacted very strongly to the bites I had in August (like hugely itchy bites that left scars) and these bumps are small and non itchy, but I feel like I remember having a few of these type before I got the crazier ones in August. Maybe I did just have pimples AND bites though, as I think it'd be weird to react differently to the same type of bug bite.

Either way, I think it's time I got back on my game to make sure I'm in the clear. I'm super depressed and barely have motivation for anything already, so I don't think I'll be likely to do anything unless I have actual proof I have bed bugs. That's why I'm interested in the trap. Money is pretty much non existent for me right now (my work is seasonal) so I can't bring in a PCO right now. I've done a quick visual inspection but if I do have them it'd be a light infestation so I'm not surprised I didn't see anything.

THANKS IN ADVANCE for your help : ))

2. frightened

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Oct 9 2016 15:42:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Don't know about bed risers but how about using dog bowls?

3. cc424

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Oct 9 2016 16:58:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok. Well my risers have an open part on the top, sort of like a shallow bowl, so what would I do to make interceptors out of dog bowls? I can probably use the same procedure

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Oct 10 2016 0:42:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Interceptors are supposed to physically trap bed bugs without deterring them. I'm not sure how you'd do that with risers.

However, there is a link in our FAQ on bed bug monitors to the instructions for making your own interceptors. Look at the second to last paragraph in the section on interceptor traps: http://bedbugger.com/2009/04/23/bed-bug-monitors/

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  5. frightened

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Oct 10 2016 0:53:25
    #

Login to Send PM

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Oct 10 2016 9:51:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes-- that's where the monitors FAQ points. Thanks, frightened!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,805 posts in 50,043 topics over 155 months by 21,876 of 22,362 members. Latest: jnnafnlys01, simo7, Datnguyen