Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Home Exchange, Home rentals or Hotels?

(6 posts)
  1. Itchybutdealing

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Jun 11 2008 15:09:23
    #

Login to Send PM

I can't believe I am asking this as we are still dealing with our problem, which will hopefully be easier to get rid of now that we are all caulked up.

I am thinking of going to visit my extended family in Europe next summer and was thinking of doing a rental or home exchange. Do you think that these are as unsafe or safer in terms of bbs than hotels? It is just much easier with kids to go to a home. Thanks so much for your input.

2. parakeets

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Jun 11 2008 16:22:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Given that you can be exposed to bedbugs anywhere (including on the plane, on the trains, etc.) you have to be ever vigilant and it is good that you are thinking ahead when travelling.

The more people who stay in a particular place, the more chance there is of possible introduction of bedbugs, so in general, there might be more of a chance of bedbugs in a busy hotel where people are constantly checking in and out than in a single-family house. However, hotels are aware of the problem of bedbugs and many homeowners are totally ignorant. Also, if the people in the home you stay at (or their kids or visitors) frequently travel or stay in hostels or dorms or anyplace where they might be exposed to bedbugs, that could change the odds, too. Is it a row house? Those are very common in Europe and that means you have to think about the neighbors. Do any of them have bedbugs? In row housing, bedbugs can spread.

Empower yourself with knowledge here before you go, unpack meticulously and carefully when you get home and wash and dry everything on superhot temps. Your trip is not about bedbugs, so enjoy your wonderful stay in Europe.

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Jun 11 2008 16:35:52
    #

Login to Send PM

My perspective is that it's less safe than a hotel in one sense: if you arrange to stay at a hotel, and your room has bed bugs, there's at least some chance another room in the hotel will be available (and bed bug free).

If you do a home exchange, and find signs of bed bugs. You're stuck paying for somewhere new to stay, and have the trouble of finding it at short notice.

If you do a home rental, you can probably get out of paying if you find bed bugs, but it may be hard to find backup accommodation.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. Itchybutdealing

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Jun 12 2008 13:12:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the advice. I guess that we will stick with hotels then, or if we do go for a house we will make sure to take all of the normal precautions while there and when coming home. Happy summer:)

5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Jun 12 2008 14:09:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I am going to throw the cat amongst the pigeons a little on this one and say it really makes no difference if you stay in a house or a hotel.

Hotels have a higher turnover of people and thus more potential exposure events but domestic properties carry the risk that the occupants are non bite responders and may not even be aware of the issue.

The bottom line however is that you NEED to check ANY and ALL properties that you stay in fr the signs of Bed Bugs.

Being aware of them and keeping an eye out is the only way to reduce the risk of exposure.

I can however confirm that all major European cities are having Bed Bug issues but then again just about all the major cities in the world seem to be having a problem at present.

Hope you enjoy Europe though, if you are in London why not drop in to BB central and say hi, I can assure you the office is free from roaming samples although I have about 1,000 of them in jars on my office desk. I also know a few hotels in London who are now very much BB aware and although they have requested at this stage that I do not advertise them if London is your destination I am sure we can nudge you in the right direction.

David

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  6. Itchybutdealing

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Jun 12 2008 19:21:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the tip David. My family is in France, although I have many friends in London, so we may head that way and if we do for sure I will look you up!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,693 posts in 50,017 topics over 155 months by 21,870 of 22,352 members. Latest: paintersmelbourne, Mercy Me, mrdinosaur