(6 posts)
  1. benaussie

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Jan 26 2015 20:56:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Guys,

I had a 6 week South American trip booked in late March. However I suspect I might have BB for just over a month now. Should I cancel the trip or would treatment work before leaving. Please note that I'm in Sydney and heat and many other treatments are not available.

I live in a block of 16 studio apartments and the owner of the property would need to do the extermination, but I don't think he will. Hard enough to get basic things fixed!
    I have been calling out exterminators, but it's so early they haven't been able to find any signs even though I believe I've found small ones in my football boots and I squashed one on the wall and found a blood mark.

What should I do?

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Jan 27 2015 13:18:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Blood isn't proof of bed bugs. Post a photo for ID-- it's the crucial first step.

If you do have bed bugs, a good company should be able to eliminate them in two months, especially since it's a small problem (I assume, since a larger problem would mean more visual evidence).

Monitors will be important to be confident they're gone and so will making sure attached units on all sides/above/below are inspected by a pro-- because if you are getting bed bugs from an attached neighbor, the solution has to address their situation too.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. benaussie

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Jan 27 2015 20:22:12
    #

Login to Send PM

I have the glue monitors, but have picked up nothing and I'm not sure If my real estate would even send out a pest inspector. I was just going to get treatment anyway and hopefully it would take care of it. I haven't spoken to my landlords yet. I think they would kick me out if I bought them in there.

4. benaussie

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Jan 27 2015 20:24:40
    #

Login to Send PM

What if I leave for the trip without finding evidence or getting treatment? It's been over a month since I've suspected I've had them and I would have thought I would have spread them to so many places by now!

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Jan 28 2015 0:45:46
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't know why you'd assume you brought bed bugs in-- did something happen that you're aware of? If not, neighbors may be giving them to you.

So basically, if you're not willing to tell your landlord, you can't be sure you will ever be able to eliminate the problem.

If you have bed bugs and go on holiday, one of two things might happen:

1. They may simply hang out. And resume feeding on you when you return. There may be more of them, assuming you have egg-laying females.

2. They may spread to attached neighbors. I am not an expert but this seems likely with a 6 week trip. It doesn't mean they'll all leave, just that they may spread.

Glue monitors are a bit hit or miss. I think they work best with larger infestations. If you can get something a little more sophisticated, it might help. But you might not have bed bugs.

6. benaussie

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Jan 28 2015 1:27:15
    #

Login to Send PM

I came back from a small two week holiday from Indonesia under two months ago and I suspect I bought them back. I was bitten over there. Just after a week after coming back I squashed a fast moving bug on the wall and saw blood. Then a few weeks later I checked my football boots and found whitish/grey bugs that looked like 2nd instas. about 2-2.5mm long. I'm stupid I didn't collect any evidence......

It could be that they're coming from a neighbours apartment, but what would be the odds?

I've had three pest inspectors tell me I don't have them because of visual inspections that show nothing. One guy said baby ones are yellow not clear and that bed bug bites itch like crazy and that they called BB for a reason if not in the bed or base I don't have them. If I can't convince these guys that I have them how can I convince my landlord to do anything. I can hardly get them to fix a tap. I'm still getting odd red marks on my body and not sure what to do.

What would I tell them? I think I have bed bugs from Indonesia, however three pest inspectors say I don't and by the way I'm off to South America in under two months for six weeks?

I don't think I can handle it. I've been on meds for the last month, seeing a pychologist and work is going to hell. I just think how they're waiting for me and how I must be spreading them around so much.

I don't think I've talked to anyone about BB in Sydney, just isn't any awareness. I don't think talking to the landlord will do much and thinking of just doing it myself thru pest inspectors that will spray and not ask questions

If visual inspections are only 30% accurate how can I deal with the situation without it becoming an infestation? How can I stop the bugs from getting into work, into my car, into my friends and family? Also I do exercises that involve sharing protective gear clothing. How can I be sure I haven't spread it there. I'm just finding this whole situation very stressful and scary.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,636 posts in 50,004 topics over 154 months by 21,866 of 22,347 members. Latest: gingerstelpa, jaa5108, fightingback