Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Holes in Protect-a-bed encasement

(6 posts)
  1. Calamity_Jane

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Aug 20 2016 12:13:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Help! I've been reading comments about encasements and I'm lost. Long story short, I bought Protect-a-bed bug-protect mattress encasements for my split box springs under my bed. Yesterday we had a PCO spray and I was going to put the bed back together when I noticed that there were small holes in several areas from rubbing (this is funny because there's no rubbing going on on my bed). I despair of what to do. I just want these bugs gone and I'm SICK of spending money.

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Aug 20 2016 15:15:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Duct tape the holes. Also use duct tape or felt to soften any hard corners or other spots which may cause holes (if any).

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. Itchyinthecity

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Aug 20 2016 21:40:43
    #

Login to Send PM

If you just had a PCO treat, are the encasements necessary? I feel like I have read a lot of conflicting information on this site about whether encasements are necessary after treatment - since they may delay your realization of whether the treatment has been effective or not. I bought some but haven't put them on yet. waiting to have a PCO come out to inspect/treat and was going to hear their opinions in he encasements. I figure after this ordeal I might just get a new mattress and encase that to make it easier to inspect.

Hope I'm not getting too far off on a tangent, but your original question made me wonder.

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Aug 20 2016 22:43:59
    #

Login to Send PM

No-- Itchy is right that encasements have pros and cons. We have a FAQ on encasements that outlines them. You're better off with nothing than an encasement with holes, though if you want to use one or someone else requires you to, you can duct tape the holes.

5. Calamity_Jane

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Aug 21 2016 20:21:08
    #

Login to Send PM

So I'm tempted to take the encasement off and buy a steamer and some passive monitors. I've actually spent a lot of time online looking for the protocol that David Cain uses, do I need to buy his book? I mean what I have gotten so far is to leave the bed unisolated and steam the mattress/box spring. Beyond that I am looking for the nests and when I find them I'm unclear as to what to do.

Perhaps this is not the right approach for some people but I have been doing chemical treatment, plus an isolated bed (until it tore), steam, DE, and heat treating personal items. Mr. Cain has said that in a hotel they can get rid of a minor infestation in under an hour. Where do i get the training to treat my house so that in a day or two I am breathing easier?

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Aug 22 2016 10:09:22
    #

Login to Send PM

I have some suggestions but I would seriously suggest you start a new thread for these new questions. You're asking about treatment methods and specifically David Cain's. People are not going to find those questions in a thread with a title referencing encasement holes.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,610 posts in 49,509 topics over 153 months by 21,693 of 22,135 members. Latest: mrssachvz, mandy717, Lodo956