Hockey gear

(4 posts)
  1. Chewie

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Aug 6 2018 3:33:31
    #

Login to Send PM

So in the past month I've seen one bedbug nymph at my boyfriend's apartment, and one at my apartment. No further visual evidence of bugs or traces in either place, but a dog confirmed bug traces at the head of his bed only. His building is sending in the pest control people to do a first spray on Tuesday (which is when my PCO is coming to inspect my place, though I'm pretty sure I'm going to go ahead with treatment as a precautionary measure).

We've been preparing everything as requested. With the stuff that shouldn't be washed, it seems to be the thinking that a lot of it can be put into the dryer for half an hour while dry and that should avoid most shrinking disasters.

One question is about hockey gear (yes, we're in Canada). Obviously jerseys, pants, and some protective equipment can be put in the dryer on hot, but what about things that can't: skates, helmets, and in my boyfriend's case, goalie pads/blocker/glove? They're kept hanging up in a different room to the bed and the couch (aside from the pads, which are on the floor by the front door), so we were going to wipe them down/steam them with a floor/surface steamer and do a visual inspection. Is that about all we can do within reason? And yes, I know people will mention the Packtite and the need for 1000-dollar steamers to be absolutely sure, but that isn't an option for us and I just want a sensible answer on what we can feasibly do.

2. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Aug 6 2018 9:15:18
    #

Login to Send PM

You might try a good hair dryer over an empty tub or in a garage with white sheets or shower liner.

3. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Aug 6 2018 9:25:16
    #

Login to Send PM

A trick I picked up for decontaminating my shoes could work for skates, helmet, gloves, etc... Tie a knot in the laces and close the dryer door with the knot outside, so the skates are held in position as opposed to tumbling in the dryer. Just modify the idea to work with the rest of the gear.

Killer of bed bugs for Homeless Empowerment Program
  4. Chewie

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Aug 8 2018 11:56:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks both! Goalie pads and gloves we still had to steam/wipe down/check, but the dryer door thing was a great idea for the rest. For shoes without laces or anything else without strings, I put them in one of those netted delicate laundry bags and tied a lace through it to attach it to the door.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

280,452 posts in 46,581 topics over 142 months by 20,545 of 21,411 members. Latest: PrismArc, unclejohn, WheelBugger