Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Psychological and Health problems caused by bed bugs (besides bites)

Hoarders, BB and their children

(19 posts)
  1. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Dec 8 2009 20:52:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Just discovered the A&E series "Hoarders". Shocking. Episode below "Judi and Gail". Mother hoarded to the point where she was immobilized. She suffered infections as result of "insect bites" (5:15 minutes in) and nearly died. In both vignettes, kids struggled with the parents and ultimately cut ties. One joined the military to get away (9:00).

http://www.aetv.com/hoarders/video/?bcpid=44241147001&bclid=54197604001&bctid=53984320001

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  2. CookEmDanno

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Dec 9 2009 17:34:06
    #

Login to Send PM

The show points out that there are so many of them, possibly 5% of the population. These people have a mental condition where they "collect" but can't throw away anything. Bedbugs, dead cats, rotting food, human feces, rats ... it's all on the videos. My question is: If these hoarders are a danger to themselves and others, why don't we get them into a facility?

3. ghostbitten

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Dec 9 2009 22:30:08
    #

Login to Send PM

I saw this the other night and my mother watched. the comments she made about the mother, sickened me. She's indenial or doesn't think she's anywhere near like that.

The episode itself made me cry. Nothing's ever hit so close to home. I might've missed it, but did they ever say what the bugs were?

4. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Dec 10 2009 21:53:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Ghost. I was watching on the web and did not hear them specify the insect. IMHO, better that way, unless they're sure and even then, not everyone "understands" BB, so it's often better to be more general. Yeah, we (yeah, me too) kids of messed up parents, always trying to set things right.

5. ghostbitten

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Dec 11 2009 7:09:44
    #

Login to Send PM

cilecto - 9 hours ago  » 
    Ghost. I was watching on the web and did not hear them specify the insect. IMHO, better that way, unless they're sure and even then, not everyone "understands" BB, so it's often better to be more general. Yeah, we (yeah, me too) kids of messed up parents, always trying to set things right.

I suffer from OCD myself. I used to not so much hoard, but keep clutter. Now I've totally thrown everything out (before bb's were found, actually) and while it's still difficult, the begbugs definitely keep me in check. I don't want them hiding anywhere else.

6. BronxBitten

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Apr 26 2010 16:10:43
    #

Login to Send PM

WOW YOU GUYS IM SO GLAD YOU POSTED THIS!!! THANKS CILECTO, OF COURSE! i was watching hoarders a few days after the whole b.b. discovery, on the phone with my mom, who has since stopped hoarding, but moved out and left her hoards here, along with my grandmothers and now i noticed, i hoard too, though never again. i thought the whole time, howcome more of these hoarders don't have bed bugs? but i guess i missed the ep's where they appear. bedbugs must be the most awful ugly lesson to change life into something simpler and more appreciative. the lesson i kept learning when i was throwing away old shit was "i never used this, i kept it for so long" that made me sad but really liberated---albeit still filled with anxiety and strange "wow, world, so this is the journey now, huh?".

so many of my friends have said that ppl threw away their mattresses and "never dealt with it again" probably b/c they didn't live in a home with this much stuff, this many places for the little suckers to hide, and this much work to do. sigh.

7. BronxBitten

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Apr 26 2010 16:27:28
    #

Login to Send PM

um, btw, watched the link you posted. so unbelievably nasty. whats worse--why are people trying to save the houses? thats absurd. burn the mothas burn the houses down!! still we don't learn we don't learn!!!! forgive me, but that level of filth need not be saved and the people with the issues (all 3 million of them) of hoarding (and i have neighbors on all sides who are hoarders and not well--) are an example of the issues in america. i really don't think people do this in other places. this stuff didn't make me cry as much as it made me want to vomit. some of them make me sad--these, however, did not trigger any compassion in me, for some reason, b/c they are so far fetched that only something more jarring (seeing all of it burn beautifully to the ground) would get them to wake the hell up. WAKE UP! my mother keeps things of no meaning or purpose, as does my grandmother, on very subtle levels, and though they keep it pretty, they still keep it FOR NO REASON! but we see how the affliction is present in so many of us. . .

gotta love humanity.

8. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Apr 26 2010 18:33:58
    #

Login to Send PM

If it's any consolation, I also have a hoarding problem.

9. djames1921

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Apr 26 2010 21:53:02
    #

Login to Send PM

another show, but not called hoarders but about the same issue actually had the pest guy come in because bed bugs were present as well. they showed the bed bugs amongst the stuff, quite the ordeal on many levels.

10. truck

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Apr 27 2010 12:11:48
    #

Login to Send PM

I used to do sales calls to people's homes in upsate NY. Saw a lot of horders - sometimes you couldn't walk through the place. Not just little homes, either - one guy lived in an old mansion with piles of trash stacked up to the 12' ceilings...

11. BugsInTO

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Apr 27 2010 13:33:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Hoarders is a definitely a shocking show. It's format doesn't allow it to delve very deeply into the underlying causes of people's living conditions. I wonder if it's financed by 1-800 Got Junk?

Bed bugs changed my value perception about a lot of my stuff. If I had been keeping something because I thought I might do something with it one day, bedbugs meant I could throw it out. I knew I would never have time to do that "thing" in the future, because my life had changed. There was now no time for anything except washing and prepping and vacuuming. I didn't have to find it a new owner, or recycle it or donate it. It was now less than worthless, it was a hazard. It needed just to be bagged and thrown out.

If I looked at something I owned, liked and wanted to keep, but which wasn't essential, I asked "do I have the time to decontaminate this? And would the time be worth more than the item?" And again, depending on the answer, out it could go.

I also took the opportunity to throw out anything I hadn't been able to discard before because it was "too good". This meant things that actually had value but I didn 't like or which caused me unpleasant memories. Now I had a perfectly good explanation for anyone who might inquire "Oh, what happened to the lovely velvet painting I gave you?" Well, it was unfortunate, but it had to go.

12. Sylvie

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Apr 27 2010 20:38:46
    #

Login to Send PM

BugsInTO,
    LOL! Bed bugs seem to be good medicine for hoarding, as well as the answer to "what to do with this lovelyvelvet painting I received?" Haha. I think you nailed the psychology right on the head. I've been throwing out all kinds of things that the bed bugs forced me to realize I didn't want or need anyway. I was always stopped from throwing these items out before from the thought that it could be handy in the future or maybe someone else could use it. In this one way, bed bugs almost feel like a small relief (almost). Your post made me realize I've subconsciously been going through my stuff and thinking "thank god I can finally get rid of this!"

I wouldn't say I'm a hoarder, but stuff tends to... accumulate. It's interesting to watch that show and see how a positive trait like environmentalism, thriftiness, handiness, etc. can spin wildly out of control. The young man who didn't want to clean his dog's shed fur off of everything because he subconsciously felt like he would be making her die sooner by throwing out her fur really broke my heart.

13. HuntforBedBugBinLaden

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jul 6 2010 16:16:45
    #

Login to Send PM

This is one of the most disgusting things that I have ever seen...

14. kirads09

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jul 6 2010 16:45:28
    #

Login to Send PM

There is a similar show on TLC called Hoarding: Buried Alive. Can't recall which network show it was. There was a family (with 2 or 3 young kids) and they were sleeping out in their back yard in a tent. Why?
    1) They had a massive BB infestation going on. This was definitely mentioned and shown as BB's.
    2) They were hoarders. It was so bad, until they got the clutter out, PCO would/could not treat.

Finally in the episode they did get it cleared enough exterminator was able to treat and they were allowed to re-enter the house.

I would love to see a follow up to that one!

15. kirads09

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jul 6 2010 16:51:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Oops. Hope I didn't step on any toes. The episode I refer to is already mentioned in the post: Bed bugs on A&E show Hoarders tonight (12/21).

16. mcsmcs

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jul 6 2010 17:59:34
    #

Login to Send PM

CookEmDanno - 6 months ago  » 
    My question is: If these hoarders are a danger to themselves and others, why don't we get them into a facility?

In general, people either need to want to go into a facility, or you need to commit them. To commit someone, you need to have proof they present an imminent danger to themselves or someone else. It's tougher to commit someone for hoarding than it is if they have a viable plan to kill themself or someone - you need to prove it's "clear and present danger" (or that's the standard I was trained by).

Also, it's tough to get insurance companies to pay for inpatient treatment aside from the "stabilize and then ship out" type, which won't solve hoarding.

It's sad.

17. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jul 6 2010 20:25:49
    #

Login to Send PM

i'm the opposite of a hoarder...i don't know what that's called..but i can live really streamlined with no problem. When i watch movies that show a monestary with very simple rooms for the priests with just a bed, simple blanket, nothing on the floor, i say....yeah...i like that.

When my husband can't find something (that is on his messy desk) he automatically says i probably discarded it. I do discard things. If you need it, put it in it's place because if i see it out of order for a week, and i don't know where you want it, i'll ask you about it. If it isn't in its place a week after that? Fuggedaboudit.

i can't stand clutter, disorder, messiness, it makes me nervous and i can't think well. my eyes must see order so that my brain can organize thoughts well. Thank goodness my husband really tries and doesn't complain if i put his desk in order every few days. He keeps his clothes in wonderful order (i guess that's left over from his military training) so i'm appreciative of that.

my middle sister is a hoarder and she's got some great stuff..pre colombian art, fancy clothing, etc., but it's a reck/tangle.

my worst fear and my husband had to promise me on his baby daughter's life, that if i get sick and am dying before him, that he will make sure that my dying place is clean, disinfected and orderly. If i have to die lying in a mess, not freshly bathed and on unfresh sheets...oh...that would be the worse.

18. dieBB...DIE

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jul 6 2010 22:51:34
    #

Login to Send PM

You think this episode is bad, there is an episode in which a family with 2 or 3 small children moves out of the house and into the backyard in tents because of the BB infestation. The dad's brilliant theory was that if they move out and starve them they'll get rid of them but little did he know these things can live 18 months without a meal. The cameras captured the BBs crawling all over the place in broad daylight....yuck!!!! Now I'm starting to itch just thinking about it.

19. bushbugg

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Jul 7 2010 0:23:40
    #

Login to Send PM

IM NOT A HOADAH. This stuff just might come in handy...

...someday...

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,754 posts in 49,796 topics over 154 months by 21,795 of 22,260 members. Latest: insecureuser, o0liver19, Laura07