Hitchhiking bugs to dorm

(6 posts)
  1. collegebugs

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Aug 17 2014 1:35:56
    #

Login to Send PM

My boyfriend's apartment has had bed bugs for over a year(He says after a trip to Puerto Rico to visit his sister the apt became infested). His grandfather paid to have an exterminator come, and they were given a 6 month bed bug free guarantee. I never got bit or saw any bugs when we first started dating. A few months ago after the exterminator stopped coming I started getting bit and the cat would find them crawling up the walls. They weren't able to afford another 6 month round of treatment.

I'm a college student and my only living arrangement option for this summer was to stay with my boyfriend. Most of my belongings were in storage, with the exception of a few bags. I'm really afraid of the bugs having hitch hiked from the apartment to my new dorm room.

My worst fear has come true and as I was unpacking a big bug came crawling out of a change purse I had placed on my desk. I know its a bed bug because I've been bitten by them at my boyfriend's and have had the unfortunate sighting multiple times.

I don't know what my next plan of action should entail. I've only seen one bug, and I've already unpacked everything I brought to the dorm room. Right after I began a huge load of laundry. I'm afraid to say anything to my RA out of fear of being blamed for a potential bed bug infestation of my dorm building.

Should I just be on the look out for any new bugs? I'm a very neat and organized person, other than frequent cleaning what can I do? Also after seeing the one bug I keep feeling like theres bugs all over me. I've had to take sleeping pills to fall asleep. Any tips for dealing with psychological bed bug trauma?

2. Distressed in NJ

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Aug 17 2014 9:30:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Interesting that he got a 6 month guarantee. I was told by my PCO that they can't give a warranty in a multi-unit complex. Can't help but think I hired the wrong PCO, yet again.

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Aug 17 2014 10:00:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi collegebugs,

The very best thing you can do is report this to the building manager right away. Early treatment by a professional is the best way to get rid of the problem swiftly and stop it spreading.

It is likely your college will know how to handle this as it's likely not their first case of bed bugs. I think it is likely they will focus on addressing the problem rather than focusing on blaming you.

However, to put it in perspective, if people were going to say you did the wrong thing, which would be worse:

a) telling them right away so they can address the problem right away? or
    b) waiting until bed bugs spread throughout the dorm, and possibly to your classrooms, library, etc., before you admit to the management that there's a problem?

"a" is the answer, of course, and it's why intelligent management would not focus on blame at this point. I know it's hard to admit to a problem but trust me, it will only get worse if you don't. Consider this one of those pivotal moments in life when you have to be strong and do the right thing.

Be brave! You can do it! And you must.

In future, you will need to take precautions to avoid spreading bed bugs if you visit your boyfriend or he visits you. See the travel FAQs for more.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Aug 17 2014 10:02:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Distressed in NJ - 30 minutes ago  » 
    Interesting that he got a 6 month guarantee. I was told by my PCO that they can't give a warranty in a multi-unit complex. Can't help but think I hired the wrong PCO, yet again.

Distressed, not getting a six-month guarantee in a multi-unit building does not make your PCO choice incorrect. A good PCO would not guarantee work if there are possibly infested attached neighbors. Try to see it from their perspective. If you want to discuss your situation further, please start a new thread.

5. Distressed in NJ

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Aug 17 2014 13:13:54
    #

Login to Send PM

I do understand why, but I was just curious why collegebugs boyfriend got a 6 month guarantee if he lives in an apartment.

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Aug 17 2014 17:44:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Distressed in NJ - 4 hours ago  » 
    I do understand why, but I was just curious why collegebugs boyfriend got a 6 month guarantee if he lives in an apartment.

I think the more important point was the six-month guarantee was worthless. It meant they kept treating for six months but did not solve the problem, because they weren't treating all infested units.

Many good PCOs won't even work under those conditions-- refusing a job where you can't inspect attached units is something we're hearing about and it makes sense.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,894 posts in 50,058 topics over 155 months by 21,883 of 22,369 members. Latest: sai, Mary Borges, Pleasebegone2019