Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Hitchhiker round two - I need help (bed bug gender ID)

(11 posts)
  1. Ithappenedtwice

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun May 8 2011 12:56:00
    #

Login to Send PM

So, back on Dec. 8th 2010 I got on here for you guys to sex a bug that I found crawling my couch at 1:30 in the morning. It turned out to be male; a lone ranger who hitchhiked into my apartment from some college students who had been viewing throughout the week (I live off campus in an area that is NOTHING but college students for miles). Terminator came, confirmed it was a male checked it out said there was nothing and wanted to me wait it out to see if I had a problem before they did anything, which I had a problem with, but nothing ever happened, ever. Thank God, it was a male and he was alone.

Fast forward to this morning at, you guessed it 1:30 in the morning, and I found a bedbug crawling on my floor length curtains, but this time in my BEDROOM. I caught it...stupid thing walked right into the baggie and came here to sex it. So, hours later I was able to fall asleep on my couch because I cannot handle the thought of sleeping in my own bed, which literally sits up against my curtains. Now, I am up and I have one day to fix this problem. I have classes tomorrow, my schedule is INSANE. I go to school full time and work 35 hours a week.

Here's the info/timeline. No one comes into my apartment except my boyfriend because we live together. We are too busy to entertain and we don't visit friends. Yes, I am telling the truth we are very boring. How did it get in? Well, since Wednesday 5/4 construction workers took over our apartment replacing every door in the unit. They tore our place up, I came home to find everything in my room, piled on top of my bed including the contents of my closet. They were here again all day Thursday and Friday. So, Wednesday and Thursday I slept on the couch sine my bed was occupied by all my belongings. Friday, I put everything back and slept in my own bed. No bites. I am very sensitive to bites of any kind so I can say confidently, no bites. Saturday on my way to bed, I found the bug and now we are here. The workers are not done and will be back Monday, but since they are most likely the vehicle of the hitchhiker I really don't want them here.

I have provided pics, but here is what I think and believe me, I want to be proven wrong. I think it is a female who has been inseminated (mark on belly). If I am right, then when was she inseminated? I tried to find this info before taking up your time but I cannot find info on time lines of insemination. I know females can lay eggs everyday, but do they have mate everyday to do that or does mating once give them that ability? Is it possible if she was inseminated a while ago that she has not laid eggs since then. I don't know bug language, but how they long are they 'pregnant'? If she did come into my apartment and laid eggs the earliest would have been Wednesday, if she came in how I think she did, and that means I have roughly until Wednesday maybe a little later before eggs start hatching which is what I do not want. I need to kill them. Fast and for sure before this becomes a problem.

Sorry so long, just trying to answer questions before they pop up and like everyone else who gets these unwanted house guests, I don't have the time and I definitely do not have the money to fix it.

http://www5.snapfish.com/snapfish/slideshow/AlbumID=3989776025/PictureID=139716162025/a=2001026025_2001026025/otsc=SHR/otsi=SPIClink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/

http://www5.snapfish.com/snapfish/slideshow/AlbumID=3989776025/PictureID=139715971025/a=2001026025_2001026025/otsc=SHR/otsi=SPIClink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/

2. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun May 8 2011 13:11:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry but cannot view the whole pic without a snapfish account. I get 1/10th of the screen.

Try photobucket or fliker.

Jim

3. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun May 8 2011 13:20:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi. Please read this excellent guide, which might have answers to some of your questions. We have no definitive way to determine where this bug came from, or if it's the only one. If you live in an apartment building, it can easily have traveled in from adjoining units, among other scenarios. If you have a BB infestation, it will need to be dealt with and it can. You can take steps to prevent and/or minimize discomfort from bites. To prevent spread in your unit, as well as to your visitors or the places you visit. Please review thus site's FAQ. Also, as a student, see what counseling, legal and/or technical resources you can enlist on campus. And if it interferes with your school work, fight for make ups or time off.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  4. Ithappenedtwice

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun May 8 2011 13:26:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry, last time I used this same snapfish account and there weren't any problems, so I changed the sharing link and hopefully it will load fine. If others are still having problems I will create an account somewhere.

5. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun May 8 2011 13:30:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Second link working for me on iPhone. I don't have a snap fish login. Might be a network or browser issue.

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun May 8 2011 15:43:32
    #

Login to Send PM

I can see the second photo too.
    I am not an expert but I am sure someone will be able to ID the gender.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  7. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun May 8 2011 15:51:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I am 99% certain that one is female and has not fed in 4 or so days.

If you can scan it on both sides I may be able to see if it has recently mated.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  8. Ithappenedtwice

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun May 8 2011 16:19:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Hmmm.. can't figure out how to edit my post again so here are new links from photobucket. My scanner did a really crummy job so I used my camera. One photo if of the back and one is of the belly.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v117/dorkynkool/BB/DSC_0157.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v117/dorkynkool/BB/DSC_0155.jpg

Sorry for the problems!

9. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun May 8 2011 16:30:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry, only a scanner or a 23 MPix camera is capable of capturing that level of detail and the image resolution is too low.

David

10. Richard_Naylor

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue May 10 2011 9:33:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Ithappenedtwice,

As David said, it is an adult female so eggs are a possibility. However, in my opinion it looks as if it hasn't been adult for very long. The cuticle gets a little darker as they mature. Consequently, it may not have had the opportunity to mate yet, but it's impossible to say for sure from those pics.

In answer to your questions, one mating can keep a female bedbug fertilised for about 5 weeks, over which time (with regular access to food) she could lay around 100 eggs. However, without access to food egg laying stops completely, and she certainly hasn't fed for a while. The dark patch in the abdomen is the gut contents. It gets smaller over time as the food is used up. David estimates 4 days since feeding. I think I would put it closer to a week, but it's impossible to say for sure as digestion rate is confounded by temperature and other factors.

Since you have the bug, why not keep it is a pot and see if it lays any eggs? If you can find a willing volunteer, I would suggest allowing it to feed on the back of their hand. Then keep the bug for a week or so. If it has been fertilised it will start laying eggs within a couple of days. If you don't see any eggs after a week you can pretty much rule out the possibility that it has laid eggs recently.

11. Ithappenedtwice

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue May 10 2011 13:40:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Maybe I can volunteer my boyfriend...he has been offering to sleep in my bed since I just stare at it for what seems like forever before actually sitting and then laying down. lol. I still have it and she is getting very light colored...I'm assuming from lack of food. Like I said I found it Saturday and I did sleep in my bed Friday, so if she was in my room on Friday night wouldn't she have had a meal? Thanks for answering my questions Richard_Naylor.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,610 posts in 49,509 topics over 153 months by 21,693 of 22,135 members. Latest: mrssachvz, mandy717, Lodo956