Hitchhiker or migration? :(

(5 posts)
  1. buggedintheUSA

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Mon May 14 2018 13:21:15
    #

Login to Send PM

To give some background, I woke up at 4am on February 27 with 3 itchy spots on my hand which later turned into painful welts - my hand looked like a glove someone blew into like a balloon. Didn't even think of bed bugs until six weeks later, when I saw three bugs for myself. Had PCO confirm, removed everything I could from my room to wash/dry or box up in plastic, encased mattress/box spring after finding no signs or bugs in either, and had PCO spray two weeks ago, and again a week ago (seven days apart). He focused on our basement, as that's where my bedroom is, as well as the bedroom next to mine, bathroom, and rec room. He sprayed along the baseboards upstairs in the living room and a bit in the guest bedroom, but that's it, as we have not seen any signs of bugs upstairs, more as a precaution in case one may have hitch hiked on clothes from the basement.

Fast forward to today, where I was going on 26 days with no sights of live bugs or bites, and my dad found a small unfed BB in our upstairs bathroom on the floor. I know it's not advised to do so, but while the basement's been torn up, I've been sleeping in the treated guest bedroom for a little over 2 weeks now. (I will move back down to my room this week when my new metal frame arrives.) It's on the way opposite side of the house from my bedroom, on an entirely different floor. Is two weeks really long enough for the bugs to have migrated up through the bathroom, across the entire house?! To my understanding our infestation was quite small. Or do you think it was more likely a hitch hiker from the basement? We have been so careful going from the basement to upstairs...but I suppose it could've gotten on my clothes somehow this morning before I took a shower after I checked my bedroom for bugs like I do daily, and the bug fell on the floor. There are no floor vents or anything on our upstairs bathroom floor, so unless they're amazing swimmers, I'd like to think the BB couldn't have come up through the bathroom...but what do you all think?

Or...worst case scenario, there were eggs upstairs and they are starting to hatch and die? The PCO sprayed Temprid and a growth regulator. Sorry for the long post, just looking for some outside insight. I HATE to think the infestation is now upstairs and my parents might have to deal with this ... I was feeling so confident that this thing was started to get nipped in the bud...should we call the PCO and have him spray more upstairs? What would y'all do?

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 5 months ago
    Mon May 14 2018 14:02:14
    #

Login to Send PM

The how isn't as important as the fact that you're finding live bugs after multiple treatments. It probably transferred with a member of the family but you'll never narrow it down unless you interrogate the bed bug itself. It's very, very hard to waterboard a bed bug, lots of failures before you begin to see some success.
    I would save any live samples and present them to your PCO and see where to go from there.

Killer of bed bugs for Homeless Empowerment Program
  3. buggedintheUSA

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Mon May 14 2018 23:27:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks so much for replying BD, and thanks for all your contributions to the forum. I've been reading this place like crazy for the last month (never thought I'd have to say that) and I appreciate the knowledge you've shared.

So forgetting the how for a minute, I've read it's not uncommon to see a few bugs after treatment. This is only the second bug I've seen since treatment - first live bug along with a dead bug a few days ago. Couldn't this case fall into the "post treatment bug activity" category then? It was small, unfed, and lighter in color, could it be a product of the IGR/Temprid combo that was sprayed?

I don't know why I'm even asking, honestly...I guess I'm looking for any little thing that can make me feel optimistic at this point. My dad called the PCO and he basically told us not to worry about it, the residual lasts up to 30 days, blah blah. There is a 30 day warranty, should I consider asking him to come out one more time in another week or so?

I plan on Cimexa arriving tomorrow and brushing it all around the house. Hopefully that will help with the two sprays that have already happened.

4. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 5 months ago
    Wed May 16 2018 11:26:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Just continue to monitor. It may take some time for the residual chemicals to kill the newly hatched nymphs.

5. buggedintheUSA

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Wed May 16 2018 21:32:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, I will. Hopefully the CimeXa helps get rid of any stragglers. As Tom Petty one said, "the waiting is the hardest part". Thank you for your time responding.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

280,567 posts in 46,605 topics over 142 months by 20,555 of 21,422 members. Latest: tjg, jm1985, Me33