Hitchhiker! Male or Female?

(3 posts)
  1. firedogx

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Sat Mar 3 2018 0:02:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Found this single bedbug on my pillow after a road trip. Wondering if it’s male or female? Hopeful it’s male. Doubtful if it’s female that it wasn’t a pregnant one Oi.

Poor quality pics cause I had to tape it to capture it, ugh.

https://m.imgur.com/a/irGaP

2. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 year ago
    Sat Mar 3 2018 6:51:31
    #

Login to Send PM

firedogx - 6 hours ago  » 
    Found this single bedbug on my pillow after a road trip. Wondering if it’s male or female? Hopeful it’s male. Doubtful if it’s female that it wasn’t a pregnant one Oi.

Too bad you couldn't have taped it on one side only and exposed the non-taped surface. You could freeze it, take it out of its tape enclosure and snap a picture. Probably a male.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  3. firedogx

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Sat Mar 3 2018 8:55:06
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 1 hour ago  » 

firedogx - 6 hours ago  » 

Too bad you couldn't have taped it on one side only and exposed the non-taped surface. You could freeze it, take it out of its tape enclosure and snap a picture. Probably a male.

Ah yes, didn’t think of that. I desperately tried to get it with just one side but I had some weak scotch tape and I was alone so I didn’t wanna lose the guy. He somehow kept wriggling off it.

I did try examining him using the “asymmetrical” body method when zooming in on him and I thought he was male too but this bug seems to have fed on me last night and therefore has a much longer body which threw me off. I gave up and killed him so nothing to do now but wait.

I went through the usual procedures and have refreshed my interceptors with talc powder so, not as worried since I know I’m dealing with a single hitchhiker. Safe to say I’m staying away from my friends house who confirmed has bedbugs but they got lazy in following up on their second treatment!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,319 posts in 49,236 topics over 152 months by 21,584 of 22,005 members. Latest: Robbysee, Elephant88, Nobugsplsto