hi...my neighbor was treated and we found some dead bbs

(7 posts)
  1. XbugginX

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Jun 5 2017 16:42:03
    #

Login to Send PM

hello there. firstly, thanks to all of you for your support and knowledge. i've been reading posts on this site for many years but it's just now i actually have a reason to post something (unfortunately).

my fiance and i live in a 60-unit building in brooklyn. it's fairly well-maintained...we've seen a roach or two after a rain storm, some carpet beetles and ants and whatnot, but haven't dealt with any extreme pest situations in the two years we've lived there. about three weeks ago, i came home to find a flyer under my door saying that the building was INFESTED with bed bugs on every floor and to check our belongings. i freaked out to the super, who told me it was only two apartments - and one of them happened to be next door to us.

the super told me the apartments had been treated and to check my stuff but it should be fine. we have had encasements on our mattress, box spring, and pillows since we bought them new two years ago, and after checking the bed and the wall that border the infested apartment i couldn't find any bugs, eggs, blood spots, or feces. neither of us had any bites either.

fast forward to the next day, and we found a slow-moving but alive bed bug on the floor near the wall that borders the infested apartment. i told the super and our management company and they told me they'd send a dog for inspection. in between the appointment set up and the inspection, we found two more dead bugs in the same spot we found the first. i saved all of the bugs in a ziploc. still no feces, blood, or bites.

the pco arrived with the dog. however, as soon as he got there, he told me they could not do the dog inspection because we have two cats in the apartment. i was disappointed but i showed him the bugs and where i'd found them. he took a quick look at the area where we found them, then looked at the bugs and announced they looked "starved" and it was likely they'd tried to escape from next door after the treatment - that the live one was dying, hence the slow movement, and the other ones just died before we found them. he advised we duct tape where the floor and the baseboard meet along the wall. and that was it.

until a few days ago when the super called me to tell me my apartment was being treated. how could this be, without an inspection? i really didn't want to go through all of the prep for treatment if i didn't need to. i called the extermination company, explained the situation, and they said they'd send out someone to do a visual inspection in a week. i'm confused as to what they are going to inspect considering there still are no signs of bugs we can see nor any bites but i'm hoping they know better than me.

but, here's the kicker: we are in the process of moving out of the apartment (we had other issues with the management company and this was the last straw - we would never have known about any bb situation if it weren't for the flyer left by that tenant!) and have already started boxing up our stuff. our apartment right now is definitely CLUTTERED. on top of it, the apartment is very small and it is hard to maneuver around our furniture now, never mind "move everything to the middle of the room." there is no middle of any room!

to add insult to all of this injury...we found another dead bug, in the same spot as the others. this one looked lighter in color than the other three. still no bites or signs but how did another dead bug get past the duct-taped wall?

i guess besides just venting here (thank you) i am wondering:

should we get the apartment treated anyway, even if the pco finds no evidence of bbs and doesn't recommend it? when i spoke to the exterminator they were like, do you want treatment or not? as if it was optional? i have no idea when i am going to have the time to do all of the prep, between having a full time job and a tiny mostly packed up apartment. but of course we want to do what is best for our health and the health of our neighbors - not to mention what we are legally obligated to do.

one more thing - we are treating all of our stuff with vikane in our moving process. the building we are moving to is newly constructed and never inhabited, so i want peace of mind in my new place - even if the infestation we have is the lightest in history, there's no way i am bringing even one unfed male bed bug to my new place.

thanks for listening - i'd appreciate any and all advice and comments!

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Jun 5 2017 17:01:10
    #

Login to Send PM

If you are treating all of your stuff anyway why not ask the management to postpone treatment until you have moved out, it'll make things easier for you.

Killer of bed bugs for Homeless Empowerment Program
  3. XbugginX

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Jun 5 2017 17:06:26
    #

Login to Send PM

thanks BigDummy - that's what i'm hoping we'll get to do. our move isn't for eight weeks so i'm hoping they'll wait that long.

4. tallglassof

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Jun 5 2017 18:15:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey - this eerily mirrors my own situation! I also live in a 60-unit building in brooklyn, also moving out soon. Maybe we're neighbors, ha! In my case, I had bed bugs in my room - no idea if they came from another apartment or hitchhiked on me. If I were you, I would definitely say yes to the inspection, especially if you are finding stragglers (no matter how dead) making it onto your side of the wall. I imagine they are quite good at finding evidence - I had searched for weeks for bed bugs and didn't find any in my room, but the exterminator found live ones within 5 minutes of coming in. If the inspector doesn't find any evidence of bed bugs and don't recommend treatment, I would not ask them to treat.

I share a similar fear of bringing even one bug into my new apartment. What I might do if I were you (if the exterminator finds no evidence of an infestation in your apartment and doesn't treat) is buy some CimeXa and puff it around the perimeter of your apartment, particularly around the wallspace shared with the infested apartment. At least you then have the peace of mind that any partially-alive bugs escaping into your room will be nixed. The vikane while moving is an excellent idea.

5. bbmom

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Jun 5 2017 19:31:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Yikes, sorry you are going through this. As far as your current apartment is concerned, it's up to you, since you are moving out, you are packing anyway already, you can always enclose all the boxes you packed in large transparent contractor bags and consider it bagged, you don't need to unpack them. You don't need to worry about bugs inside your cardboard boxes as you are getting Vicane treatment, I am sure you can unbag the boxes prior to treatment or have them do it for you.

Are you getting your furniture gas treated as well before moving in? If not, then you definitely want to get your current apartment treated, as it will prevent any stragglers laying eggs in your furniture, 8 weeks is a long enough time if so many of them are coming through, they may not be all soon dead. Our treatment includes steaming all pieces of furniture and applying pesticides, so we can be sure nothing is nesting there.

I am saying this as someone, who had to undergo treatment without any signs of bugs present or any bites. PCO had declared our apartment clear of any bug signs after visual inspection and during treatment they found nothing at all, we have no bites. We are treated because of positive K9 alerts and because of seeing one live starved flat bug on our couch, which could have come from anywhere. We are still not aware of any apartments infested on our floor or around us, they were supposed to examine them. It's always better to take precautions, but if you feel like it will cause undue hardship for you, you should talk to you PCO and/or landlord. You are moving out anyway and they had no inspection whatsoever, they can't force you to undergo treatment without some positive signs of bugs or at least one K9 alert.

When PCO visually cleared us, he mentioned that if K9 is negative then they consider this a straggler accident and won't be treating our unit. So, I don't think there is a law that can force you to turn your life upside down without any proof of bugs.

6. XbugginX

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Jun 6 2017 16:47:22
    #

Login to Send PM

thanks for your replies, everyone. we're having the visual inspection done on friday...here's to a negative result, though we will comply with the treatment requirement if it comes up positive.

also booked my vikane treatment today, yippee! to answer your question, bbmom, we are having ALL of our belongings gassed...furniture, clothing, books, appliances, artworks, electronics...everything besides the clothes we'll be wearing, the heat-treated and ziplocked-clothing to wear the next day, any medications, and my cats and their carriers (will post a separate thread about how to get my cats out bb free). everything else...gas.

9 more weeks and this will be over (hopefully).

7. XbugginX

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Jun 9 2017 11:24:23
    #

Login to Send PM

update! the pco visited this morning for a visual inspection. i explained the situation to him (neighbors, dead bugs, moving, vikane, etc.). he inspected the wall where we found the bbs, inside my closet, my nightstand, mattress, box spring, and bed frame, and found no signs of bbs. phew!

however...he's going to treat our bedroom anyway, which i think makes sense. because we're getting the vikane treatment when we move, he said we didn't need to do extensive prep, just bag our stuff and remove it from our bedroom for a few days for the treatment. i feel so relieved and i wish this feeling upon each and every one of you.

i showed the pco my dead bug collection while he was here and it's amazing...they are so tiny and flat. the fact that something so small effects so much fear, anxiety, stress, struggle, and inconvenience in us is astounding.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

279,442 posts in 46,329 topics over 141 months by 20,416 of 21,255 members. Latest: nu2bedbugs87, ndjur, Krazybugger